Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

is it against ebay rules to make offers through e-mail?

<< <i>WE WILL NOT CLOSE THIS AUCTION TO SELL OUTSIDE OF EBAY
ANY ONE WHO EMAILS US ASKING US TO CLOSE THIS ITEM WILL BE REPORTED TO EBAY . >>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2784137506&category=55952

Comments

• Options

Yep!!

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    And we should report him to ebay about offering to sell to the high bidder, even if reserve isn't hit. Tried to lower the reserve, but couldn't. Right!!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    It is definitely frowned upon by Ebay (since they don't get their cut this way). But, more importantly:

Hideo Nomo ?

$1,000.00 +

Are you kidding me?
  • Options
    Well lock me up and throw away the key because I have done it before many times. Reserve isn't met, I get a nice little e-mail asking if I still want card, and after I get them to lower the price a bit I send out payment. Got a nice Jeter auto psa/dna graded a 10 2 weeks ago doing that. I really wanted that card but reserve wasn't met, worked out a deal for the price I had bid, and free insured shipping and his promise to ship it out next day, less than a week later card was in my mailbox. Of course ebay doesn't want you doing that, they get less money. Like I care if I break ebays precious rules and they make less money. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it!image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Amen to that!!! Ebay fees are insane as it is now!! Its just a damn server doesnt need that many employees. Owner is worth over 20 billion $$$$ I hope people stick it to them every once in a while.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Ebay in their infinite wisdom now has a lawyer-esque clause listed in an Email if you contact a seller.
    I Emailed a seller today using the "Ask seller a question" link, and when I got a copy of my Email back to me it said..

"eBay Marketplace Safety Tip:
    If this email is an offer to sell you an item without winning the listing
    on eBay, please report it to us at http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html.
    Please do not respond to it. Regardless of the apparent feedback of the
    sender or any claims they might make, such an offer is not only against our
    rules, but it is extremely risky. It is unsafe to purchase such an item through
    a transaction that is not on our site. You will lose the benefit of eBay's
    purchase protection programs, and run the risk of losing your money."
  • Options
    PURCHASE PROTECTION?? LIKE THEY EVER HONOR THAT! I HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF 3 TIMES ON EBAY. JCSPORTS1 GOT ME FOR A MIKE BOSSY AUTO A COUPLE YEARS AGO. SENT HIM PAYMENT NEVER RECIEVED ITEM LEFT HIM A NEG AND HE LEFT ME ONE BACK. FUNNY THING IS I LEFT THE NEG FIRST. EBAY DID NOTHING FOR ME!
  • Options
    What I tell people is that they should first ask the eBayer a question, like, "Can I ask you a question about such and such card?"

If they reply "Sure, ask away!", then it is then just email to email, and eBay isn't involved.
    If ebay ever wanted to search your initial ask the ebayer a question, they won't see an offer to buy or sell.
    A round about way of testing the water and abiding by eBay policy.

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I skip formalities and just cut to the chase. Even the people who have declined have been polite.
  • Options

<< <i>Bought a lot on january 4th and still didnt recieve it. person gave me 2 tracking #s now one was invalid and one was going to a totally different state. there full of sh$t!!!! what do i do now? how do i report fraud?

kuhlmann
    Member >>

<< <i>...I hope people stick it to them every once in a while.

kuhlmann
    Member >>

Aren't double standards grand? What a business philosophy!!!

I'll scream like hell when someone stiffs me..but it's OK if I do it to someone else!

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options

<< <i>If this email is an offer to sell you an item without winning the listing on eBay, please report it to us at http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html.
    Please do not respond to it. Regardless of the apparent feedback of the sender or any claims they might make, such an offer is not only against our rules, but it is extremely risky. It is unsafe to purchase such an item through a transaction that is not on our site. You will lose the benefit of eBay's purchase protection programs, and run the risk of losing your money." >>

Careful now...it's "extremely risky" out there in cyberspace. If it's not sanctioned by Ebay...it could be dangerous. Think of all those dangerous transactions that PSA members do on these boards...

What if a seller inserted a flyer into the item being sent out, advertising other non Ebay items for sale that you might be interested in? That's a way of getting around Ebays fees for future transactions.
  • Options

I've only asked for the seller to end the auction early and sell it to me once or twice and one time it worked great (got an item for $11 that was already at $7 with 5 days left - I was going to put a $20 bid and still didn't know if I would get it).

I have had people e-mail me about auctions I am selling and ask me to end it early many many times and I have to say I don't mind it at all. I have had one or two people offer me say $20 for a card that's at $19 with 6 days left but most of the offers were good and I accepted them. I was given $175 through e-mail for a card that was at $120 with only an hour or two left and I would have been thrilled if I got $150 for it.
  • Options
    Habs you make no sense. I didnt stiff anybody. I got beat on the bossy auto. and i got beat on the lot so i got stiffed 2 times both times ebay did nothing for me! so what is your double standard point???
  • Options

habs71 was talking avout your first post when you said, "I hope people stick it to them" and were talking about ebay

then you said, "I hate getting ripped" and were talking about ebay sellers

I think habs71 thought you were saying you hope people stick it to the sellers, like take justice into their hands and ripped when they've been ripped or something like that
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Joke's on us. He relisted and someone BINned it for $1500. Where are those old Nomos of mine? I've actually had some luck pulling long-odds cards of his, though no autos or anything. Gotta be a few bucks there somewhere.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Well I had a situation a little over a week ago where a eBay person emailed regarding an auction I was running and offered to sell me the same graded card outside of eBay. I imagine he also emailed the other bidders on my item and the email to me was a mistake.

So I emailed eBay and forwarded over the email he had sent and this is the response I received (the typical generic dont have time to time a true reply response that i love):

Hello,

Thank you for providing us with the details about this situation
    regarding XXXXX.

We are concerned about violations on the site and have thoroughly
    investigated your report. In accordance with our site policies, we have
    found that there is not enough evidence to show that a violation has
    taken place. We understand your concern about this situation, and can
    reopen the investigation if any additional information can be provided.

Because privacy concerns are important to everyone we are not at liberty
    to discuss the details of another user's account. We hope that you
    understand our position in this situation. We also hope that it assures
    you that your personal account history will always remain private.

So I emailed back that it was good for me to know that I now could contact ebay users through eBay and offer to sell my good to them outside of eBay and that I appreciated his generic reply. I never got a response to that one.

Patrick
    Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.
  • Options

If it is against ebay rules to end an auction early and sell to someone outside of ebay why, when you go to cancel the auction, do they have the choice "the item has been sold and is no longer available for sale"???
  • Options

well, a guy just e-mailed me and offered me $100 cash for a card I was hoping to get $35-$50...needless to say, I won't be reporting him to ebay image
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with it as it is my decision to buy/sell the card. When I bid I always have a "highest price" in my mind I am willing to pay. if the result is lower, then great, it is just icing on the cake. If I receive an e-mail from an auction I bidded on that didn't meet the reserve price and the price quoted is equal or lower than what I was willing to pay, then in most cases, I'll buy it. I've done it before.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've made offers to sellers numerous times outside of Ebay. Have been turned down a couple times, usually saying "Nah, I'm going to relist it and see what happens". Most of the time, though, I get a positive response and end up buying the card(s) I'm asking about. I specifically search for stuff that's been completed without a bid on the off chance I'll find a good deal on something. Have never been reported for this "violation" either.

Tabe
    www.tabe.nu
  • Options

<< <i>what is your double standard point??? >>

Read your own posts!!

In one you yell fraud from the mountain top because you got stiffed and didn't receive a lot you purchased.

In another you advocate people sticking it to eBay because

<< <i>Owner is worth over 20 billion $$$$ >>

That's not a double standard??

How about if someone walked into your store, took a look around and thought "Hey these guys have lots of money, they won't miss a couple of items". And then proceeded to shoplift goods from your store. That would be OK with you, because to the shoplifter you are worth over XXX dollars?

No, I don't think it would be OK with you..you'd be back on the mountain top shouting for the police!!

I don't know, maybe I'm to damn old..but I still believe.."Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Skip

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    YOUR FIRST POST YOU MADE IT SOUND LIKE I WAS STICKING IT TO THE SELLER NOT EBAY!!