Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GSA Morgan Toning Question

Sorry no pics here, but a question.

Does the GSA packaging create/cause toning? Or were the coins already bag, textile, or otherwise toned before the governement put them in the packaing? Will they tone over time in the packaging?

Thanks.
David

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does the GSA packaging create/cause toning? >>

Only on a limited basis under the right storage conditions. Similar to the way a capitol plastics holder will tone coins if stored in a hot humid environment over a long enough period of time.

<< <i>Or were the coins already bag, textile, or otherwise toned before the governement put them in the packaing? >>

With most of them that are toned, yes, this is the case.

<< <i>Will they tone over time in the packaging? >>

See above.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Some might tone slightly in the holders but generally speaking, no they don't tone in the holders.
    The toned ones in holders were the rejects during the GSA sales.
    You can tell the difference because the toned ones say CC Silver Dollar on the holder while the untoned ones say Uncirculated CC Silver Dollar.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    JxnBoy,

What Russ and Dog have said.image

As for continuing to tone, I've never seen one (and I've owned many for 20 years) change in the GSA holder, nor have I ever heard what I considered a credible report of one changing.

I do own an 82-CC in a GSA holder that I believe was 'treated' with some type of harsh gas in order to attempt to tone the coin. It's butt-ugly and the edges of the holder just don't look right.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I think thats the one I bought from youimage
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    TD,

Would that be the one you've never paid me for?image Lost my address?image

GSAGUY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji