Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincolns graded-- FBL, full steps, or torch???

If they ever grade Lincolns like Jeffersons [full steps] Franklins [bell lines] or Roosevelts [full torch] What would be the criterior for grading Lincolns with what added description?? Just looking towards the future. You make more money early than later. JMHO Steve. Sorry, I didn't really know how to pose the question in the title. with not much room.

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Full Lincoln on the reverse?
  • Options
    For the wheat backs, I'd say "full bow tie" for the obverse and "full O" in One on the reverse.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    whats wrong with R RB B

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....I heard that maybe...and it was just spectulation and rumor that PCGS was going to further designate the Lincolns with full steps for the reverse.

I couldn't tell you where I heard this or picked it up, but there you have it.

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with r-rb-b but other series go further and I was just wondering if eventually Lincolns would follow suit. Some coins are better than others in the same grade.
    steve
  • Options
    This is the kind of "sh&t" that is ruining the hobby long term
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The memorials often lack detail in the steps and it is frequently the
    center of the bottom steps which are last to be formed. Finding some
    dates with a complete bottom step can be difficult.

The reverse Lincoln doesn't always show up well even on well-struck
    specimens.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I really think they need to get away from all these various "FSB" "FH" "FBL" nonsensical terms, and just use a generic "FS" -- Full Strike. This appellation could be applied to any coin that exhibits "full-strike" characteristics. How that may be defined from coin to coin may vary, but it could be used for any coin.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the kind of "sh&t" that is ruining the hobby long term >>

LOL! Would have worded it a bit differently, but my sentiments as well. In all of the different grading guides that I have access to, there are no criteria listed for FBL, FSB, FS, et al.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really think they need to get away from all these various "FSB" "FH" "FBL" nonsensical terms, and just use a generic "FS" -- Full Strike. This appellation could be applied to any coin that exhibits "full-strike" characteristics. How that may be defined from coin to coin may vary, but it could be used for any coin. >>

Ideally the grade of a coin would actually tell someone what its condition is which
    would include its striking characteristics but collectors tend to balk at this concept
    because we prefer a convenient way to price coins. What we are left with is a lack
    of information so anything which tells us more about the coin is beneficial. Certainly
    one can get a clearer picture between an MS-65 and an MS-66 if he knows that the
    65 is FB or FH.

In some coins there are virtually no specimens which are truly full strike. But if "full
    strike" were simply defined as 99% full then I'd agree and this term could be applied
    to any series. There are some series which typically come fairly well struck and strike
    characteristics are much less important to those collectors.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Full "O"NE or shoulder for wheats. I don't think it will ever happen. There does not seem to be the collector demand for it. It also seems like the grading companies already take the stike into consideration when grading so a designation would be pointless. For instance if you don't have a complete "O"NE on the reverse of w wheatie forget about 66 much less 67.

• Options
    Maybe this sh*t is ruining the hobby, but it's not going to go away. You can't uninvent the atomic bomb. The truth of the matter is that there are coins that look sharper or better than other coins in the slabbed holder with the same grade. When you are buying unseen, it helps to know this. Franklin half buyers aren't complaining. Registry sets aren't helping the hobby either [just raising prices and building egos] but they're here to stay JMHO Steve
  • Options
    Clackamas. Thanks for teaching me something. I'll remember that about the ONE. Steve

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file