Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the Grade on this Bust Half--GRADE REVEALED

Sorry about the pictures; I'm practicing. This is in a green-label era PCGS holder. What do you think? While the second obverse picture isn't the sharpest in the world, the color is fairly accurate.

Comments

• AU55 ?

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Louis. Conservative AU-55 - upside AU-58. I think I see very slight wear on eagle's neck & Miss Liberty's hair below the cap.

Very attractive original looking Bust Half, and in plastic too!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur also, My first impression Au-55
  • Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    I have a few that are similar.

I think AU58....
  • AU-58
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    AU58-MS60

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    AU 55. Too much rub on the cheek and not enough luster for a 58
    Trime
  • PCGS AU55???
  • toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    MS62-63?
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote AU-53 or AU-55.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU56-57, and solid

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Greetings Varlis,
    I just got my first digital camera a month or so ago. practicing taking pictures of coins, also. I had been an ardent using of a Canon AE-1 Program for decades. Now I'm doing this whole 21st century thing with a Nikon CoolPix 5700.
    I haven't quite figured it all at yet, either. To use the flash or not to use the flash. how close to get, what size of picture. etc. I'm have lots of fun with mine.
    As far as the half, it is a nice looking coin. What variety is it?
    Paul
    My Collection of National Notes
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the guesses.

Believe it or not, the coin is in green-label PCGS MS-60 plastic.

So what's the story?

1) board members are more conservative than PCGS
    2) the coin is over-graded
    3) my pictures suck and misrepresent the coin
    4) a combination of 3 and either 1 or 2

What'd ya think? It's hard for me to say if there's indeed rub on the cheek and eagle's neck because I'm biased and the rub would be slight, but . . . it doesn't seem to me like there is. Then again, we all know there's only the tiniest of margins between 58s and 62s . . .

Paul--I'm not sure what variety it is. Large Date and Letters is all I know. Anyone got Overton handy??

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think board members are more conservative than PCGS. But you also said this was an old PCGS slab so even more conservative measures were in order since older PCGS slabs are perceived to be more conservative..

It is a nice coin indeed.

When we have trouble seeing a certain area of the coin's pics we all seem to assume the worst.

The reverse while looks really nice had an area at the top of the eagle's left wing that I thought had some luster break.

In person inspection of just a coin can justify why it is an MS-60.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last I checked, we don't have the means to swivel an image in a 3D sort of way here nor can we tilt the coin 'til the plane of the coin is nearly normal to our eyes.

In other words, there's no way for us to properly ascertain highpoint wear.

As for the issue of the old holder, folks should be aware that PCGS stds have changed (not just more or less conservative) since then.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a nice lookin' coin. Just 'cause I 53'ed it doesn't mean I didn't like it. I never met a Bustie I didn't like, but I'm in the market for coins that look like that.

Can't help with Overton variety, I'm afraid.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i guessed au-55. pcgs is flat out wrong - IF your digi-pics are accurate. it's not a question of "conservative" or not, a ms grade is just plain wrong.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file