Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you open no reserve auctions at .99 or 9.99?

With eBay's new fee structure, they now charge an extra nickel for a $9.99 start price.

If it opens at under $1 it's 30 cents, under $10 it's 35 cents. Do you take advantage of that nickle savings?
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One cent, usually.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I open them at 9.95. The nickel isn't going to kill me.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    open at 99 cents. the line for a hike in listing fees is between 99 cents and 1 dollar. Same fees for 1 cent or 99 cents, so you may as well start it at 99 so you'll have 50 cent bid incriments instead of 1 cent incriments.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't sell that often, but I usually start at $4.99

Don't really know why.

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I sell mostly books and most sell as buy it now. which is about $2.00 higher. so, I start at $9.95 so no one can get a book for a couple of bucks. It's worth the nickle Steve
  • Options
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    $.01 Most of the time.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I try to start as many auctions as I can at 1 cent.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Neither..I like to start them at the face value of the coin and not sure whyimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Neither..I like to start them at the face value of the coin and not sure whyimage >>

Me too -- I feel it adds certain "style points".

As far as 99c vs. $9.99 -- if it's a $100+ coin, it won't really effect the final price what the starting price is, so might as well start at 99c and save the nickel. Furthermore, it is probably the case that the 99c start will yield a higher final value -- it is a truism that bids beget more bids, and starting at 99c will get the ball rolling faster.
  • Options
    .01 and let it rip!

Ken
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    When I sell I do the 1¢ start. It makes the bidders feel they are bidding in a real auction & they like that.
    They make lowball bids to "watch it" and always return to bid again & again during the week when somebody outbids them. They develope an attachment to it & feel like it is already "theirs" and get protective of it & that results in higher prices realized. Sometimes. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Allways start mine @ face value.
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    I start most of mine at 9.99

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file