Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any news on 2004 Topps Heritage????

I have not heard much about the upcoming release. Is it in last feb or what??? I believe i will hold off this year and if anything just purchase a already completed set (though I highly doubt it) When it comes to 2005 and 2006 with the 56 and 57 set design however.....IM GOING TO GO CRAZY!!!!! At least 2 cases of each. Too bad one of my fav players...Bonds.....wont be in either ....unbelieveable.

im currently 11 cards away from a 56 graded set with cards from multiple companies and ive got about 50 or so 57's...ive just started that set.

Lothar52

Comments

• BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

This years set is due out approx Feb 18th. The set will be using the same design as 1955 Topps.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    As each year goes by that this stuff does well, I think it will really make the previous sets and cards
    worth more. I have quite a collection of short prints from 01,02 and 03. I have admired topps
    for giving the retail busters the same odds as the hobby guys, but I have noticed that in all
    three years the packs that came out late didn't have autographs in them. If you want a chance
    at an autograph I would suggest you get these boxes right when they hit the hobby shelves, as
    it seems like you actually have slightly better odds of striking an auto.

OK so far we know this:

The base set will be 475...thats big....bigger than 02 or 03 and almost as big as the 2001 heritage.

There will be manager cards and topps looks like they may be short printing the rookies and
    hot prospects like Weeks and Young...and that means onlone prices will be high, so it might not
    be too bad to buy wax early, and as my wise friend Basilone mentioned, selling singles early is
    the way to go.

All the cards will feature a horizontal design, and there will most likely be some mention of theme
    regarding the Dodgers first title.

There are now 3 different chrome sets...the base set, a refractor set to 555 and a very hard to pull
    black border set numbered to just 55...I can see alot of people chasing that black border set...I think
    this is great and only adds value to the boxes.

I have mixed feelings about the autograph list....which includes guys Ive never heard of...Bill Glynn?
    Bill Wilson? Bob borkowski? Duaine Pillette? Gair Allie? Of course the usual suspects are there
    and are huge hits..Mays, Duke, Berra, Kaline, Banks and a welcome addition..Musial. The only ommision
    is Koufax.....I guess he wouldn't agree to sign a reprinted dodgers card.

If they short print the high numbers again, these will be the most valuable...Weeks, Young, Prior, Edwin
    Jackson, Jeter, David Murphy and Pedro. Lets hope the short prints don't get out of control. Ive learned
    the hard way (01 Tradition) that 100 short prints is a very hard set to put together.

Well I will leave the link to the sell sheets, I would be interested in other opinions...Can't wait for this one!

JS

Topps Heritage Sell Sheets (towards bottom)
  • js

i am eagerly awaiting this release. i would agree that this issue is popular among vintage and modern collectors alike.

still looking for a premium PUJOLS rookie for jr.

best wishes on the completing the set without having to crack 3 cases. something tells me the "black borders" are going to sell for extraordinary amounts.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Are these cards going to be a little oversized like the 55 topps cards? or was that 56? any way will they be oversized?

The most cost effective way of collecting the heritage sets is buy lots from the past couple of years...with the exception of 2001....you can complete the 02 & 03 set for much less than in the calendar year it came out.

Also...has anyone tried 2003 Bowman Heritage with the never released 1956 Bowman design...I really like it...its not to expensive and filled with RC's. In fact it uses the original "knot-hole" design that was not actually used until 1958 (Hires Root Beer).

John

The cards will be modern-sized.....all of the Heritage products have been that way. It really hurts the sales of a product if collectors have to go out and buy new sheets, penny sleeves, top-loaders for just one product..(the exception being the Topps T206 Minis)

John
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    man I remember picking up 2001 boxes for 65 dollars! Now you have to pay four times that. I was
    never lucky enough to pull an original but I did the next year. Looking back I actually liked the
    53 and 54 design more than the popular 52. I did notice while looking through my sets that
    topps paid more attention to detail in 01 and 02 and less in 03..I hope they don't cut too many
    corners on the design here....they have had problems in the past of using the same pictures
    on different sets...heritage, T205..... I think about doing bowman heritage every year but it
    comes out at a bad time....competing with bowman chome draft and all the rookie releases, and
    always seems not to deliver the big pull. I remember back in 2001 those black and white autographs
    that are stunning...I own the Clemens and would love to pick up Arod and Bonds.

anyone check out the playball that UD did this year? I thought that was a nice set. T205 is getting
    old, eventhough when you pull a card that is almost 100 years old that is a bit exciting.

while Im on this...anyone have any 03 chromes left?

JS
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i own several 1954 cards..including a psa 5 #1 williams, psa 7 aaron, psa 6 banks and kaline, and a bvg 7.5 #250 williams (which im too scared to try and crossover). I really wanted the 2003 heritage set and proceeded to buy a case last year before they came out. I was extremely upset with the quality of the cards...many had minute creases in them. I even had a jersey card that came in a pack....kerry wood....that was TOTALLY DESTROYED upon opening the pack. Those card are thick and it looked the THE HULK had gotten ahold of it and fubar'd it. Totally wild!!!! I was able to put together a complete set with parallells minus 6 SP's and 5 New Age cards- 2 of which JS is sending me with just ONE case (around 500). I still have 3 new ages i need for the master set.

MY POINT- I too felt as if the quality of 2003 heritage went down compared to 2002 and especially 2001. How?? the cards came more damaged and THE PICTURES......they were true pictures and they didnt even attempt...DIDNT EVEN attempt to make the photos look even the least bit painted like they did in 2001/2002. There are some cards in 2001 that totally blow me away... Ripken, Thome, and Kevin Brown come to mind. NOTHING blew me away in 2003. The set was nice...i had to complete it cause i love the 54 set...it would have been nice for them to release a mantle designed card numbered to 1954, and they should make willie mays sign better= i pulled a mays auto!!!!!!!!!! to my demise his signature is not what it was in 54...what the heck is that signature thing he does anyway...anybody know???????????? Without the willie card the case would not have been worth it value wise though.

If anybody had alot of 2003 NEW AGE subset cards let me know...i need 3 for the master of this set. This year im going to only collect the sosa and arod (would have got a bond too but...) likei did for 2002. i simply dont have the funds to do another set with the completion of my 1956 set and 1957 yanks team set a few cards away.

Lothar52

• 4ueu TuP = Willie Mays image

it will be interesting when the 2006 heritage comes out...what a stunner that will be.... With that issue there will be no arguement about whether the cards should be oversized or not... i believe in order to be authentici they should be...but that is just me- personally I think topps should sell sheets for them and make a even bigger killing...i know id pay for them!! Plus....i do believe my 1956 raw card fit in toploaders...so would these...just wouldnt have the penny sleeve.

loth
    yeah whats up with that signature...mine is the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4ueu Tup!!!!!!!!!