Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's worse than trimming and submitting to pro?

IMO, this:

Before

After

The same seller was listing "GEM" '61 Topps cards last week that he cut out of psa 6 & 7 holders and overgraded by a few marks. That was one thing, but this is really low.

Comments

• Options
    I LOVE the line
    "All 4 corners appear MINT-like sharp,
    while the edges appear very clean and razor smooth."

hmmmmmmm
    wonder how they got so RAZOR Smooth and Sharp???

imageimage
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Yeah, by that description, I'm surprised Pro only graded it an 8.5. I think they short changed the guy, LOL!

I wonder how many times PSA ends up getting paid to grade these cards. The Pro dealer probably cracked it out of a PSA 6 holder. This buyer will undoubtedly re-submit it to them. When it comes back trimmed, he/she may re-sell it raw. Then that buyer will want to have it graded. And so on, and so on...
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    That's a great point SD. There are probably hundreds of great-looking, trimmed cards out there that go back and forth from PSA to PRO to raw.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SD - You should send the link to the high bidder...jay
  • Options
    Jay - That was the first thing I did.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SD - did he respond regarding your detective work? ...jay
  • Options
    Not yet. What will be more interesting is whether they pay the guy.

• Options
    can you say card doctor?
  • Options
    The person I emailed cancelled his bid, so I emailed the link to the next guy. This probably falls under the category of auction interference, but, hey, I figure I'm only pointing out a link that's in his public f/b history. I let the bidders draw their own conclusions.

Question: If you're going to buy graded cards and then overgrade them as often as this guy does, why not use a separate buyer's id?

There are a number of people who buy graded cards to cut out and sell raw, but most of them are smart enough to cover their tracks.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Situations like this are more of a concern to me than regular old Pro graded cards. Granted at this point I doubt I'd buy any expensive raw card unless it was at a bigger show from a reputable dealer, but a card like this is only going to keep circulating in the market. I'm sure PSA will probably see that Carlton 7 or 8 times...
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    It's scary how much that card ended up selling for. I didn't think raw cards could sell for that much. The NM BV is, what, $150?
  • Options
    Even though Carlton was a great pitcher, I can never remember his cards being in high demand. That's is the highest price I have ever seen for a 'raw' rookie of his.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    what's worse than trimming and submitting to PRO?

1-bestiality

2-necrophilia

3- buying a PRO card

in that order
  • Options
    After another 2-3 sales it will only measure 2" X 1 " with only the Carlton face intact; that would be a really close shave.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    highend -- image
  • Options
    If someone wants to trim their cards and submit them to PRO for a high grade, I don't have a problem with it. It's the individual's card(s) and they can do want they want with it. If they want a personal collection of sharp-looking, trimmed, graded cards...it is their choice.

I only have a problem if they choose to sell the card and do not indicate the card was trimmed. This, unfortunately is often the purpose of individuals who fall into the category in my first paragraph.

Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    "What's worse than trimming and submitting to pro?"
    not trimming and submitting to pro.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.