Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1800 Bust dollar...needs your help....

Hey everybody,

I got this Bust dollar in a collection I bought a few months back..I have been trying to fiqure out what variety it is and determine its grade.It has unusal wear in two areas, obv. and rev., like someone used to hold in their hand and rub it,maybe like a good luck coin or something,could of been some gunslinger or poker playing cowboy...sounds good anyway..

Any thoughts are welcome....

Who is a good source for books on variety, especially Bust Halfs?

Thanks,

Randy

Comments

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    GOOD God ain't that nice! VF+++

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me to be a very nice specimen of the B-1, BB-181 variety. B-1, BB-181 is a very scarce R-4 variety, particularly scarce in higher grades.

Your coin looks to be a very choice VF specimen -- I'd say VF35.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy4Coins: Literature sources that you requested:

General Overview: A Guidebook of U.S Coins by R.S. Yeoman "The Red Book"

Bust Dollars: Bollender, Bowers & Borkhardt, Cardinal Collection at www.EarlyDollars.org (fellow forum member)

Bust Halves: Overton

I'm sure that others on the forum can provide you with additional guidance.

Note: Please see that you've received a reply from "Cardinal" who is one of the top experts in the Bust Dollar field. Youv'e got an R-4 which is a scarce variety!! image Keep that info for reference. Cardinal was instrumental in helping me to attribute and grade my own 1799 Bust Dollar (author icon at left).

Congratulations on owning a scarce, baeutiful and historic coin!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is a good source for books on variety, especially Bust Halfs?

Al C.Overton,early half dollar die varieties..1794-1836.
    Al
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would need to see different pictures to offer an opinion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Do you wanna sell it????image
    I LOVE PROOF SEATED LIBERTY COINS AND ALL BETTER DATE SEATED LIBERTY COINS
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly looks VFish to me!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

Thank you Cardinal and Stuart.

I am excited about your opinions on my coin.I am very pleased with the level of help that people offer on the forum.I hope one day I can contribute as much helpful info to new collectors as the forum members have done for me.

Would you guys recommend getting this coin graded and certified?

What do you believe the value to be?

Thanks,

Randy

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy4Coins: Thanks for your nice comments...

If Cardinal calls it a VF, then it's a VF. Greysheet dealer price for a standard "garden variety" type Bust Dollar in VF is Bid $1675 to Ask $1825 -- but since Cardinal says it's a scarcer R-4 variety, yours may be worth more to a variety collector.

Some Bust collectors (maybe most) prefer their coins raw so that they can also look at the 3rd side of the coin -- the edge. I personally prefer to purchase mine certified & slabbed -- nut have not yet submitted a single coin for slabbing at my own cost. I still have 2 raw Draped Bust Dollars "in the raw".

I'd suggest getting it slabbed only if it makes you feel better. There's no NEED to unles you WANT to. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I'd get it slabbed by either ANACS or NGC with the variety attribution service.

In many of the reference material, BB-181 is listed as an R.5 and so will command an even greater premium. However, I'd give significant credence to any data that Cardinal offers on this subject. He will likely know exactly how Bowers, the JRCS and Reiver came up with their population estimates, and he will be able to correlate his own estimate to theirs and judge why there is this difference.

For my money, I never felt that this variety was truly deserving of a really significant premium in the grades below ChVF -- but would kill for a true, original and problem-free ChEF specimen!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy-

You will not get any more informed opinions than from Cardinal and EVP. Consider yourself most fortunate image
  • Options
    You will not get any more informed opinions than from Cardinal and EVP.

I guess it's ok to include me -- since I really just parrot Cardinal's comments! image

EVP

• Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me,if you sent it to ANACS,with the way they slab Bust dollars,it'll come back an XF.

The weak spots are,imo,from a bad planchet and not damage to the coin.

If you could buy an xf with out a weak spot or an xf with a weak spot,for the same money,which one would you buy?There for not worth xf money.

I will say that it seem like there is a lot of luster on your coin(your in).

Nice coin.
    NUMO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weak spots are,imo,from a bad planchet and not damage to the coin.

I agree,no way that coin is "rubed down".It's a beauty,and if for sale I would be intrested.
    Al
  • Options
    I don't believe the weak areas are result of a planchet problem but rather a striking problem. The weak area on the revese is caused by it being opposite the high relief area of Liberty's bust. There simply wasn't enough striking pressure to fill both the bust and the ribbon and cloud on the reverse. You will find wakness in this area on any if not most bust dollars. It also looks like the obverse die may be starting to sink in the facial area which results in lower pressure there and additional striking difficulty.
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    I agree with Condor101 on the bad strike and not a planchet problem..............I too would also go with NGC or ANACS to list the overton variety...weak striking pressure was very common in the early days of the mint (still hand screw press and remained thet way till about 1835 when the starting of the steam press).

Nice coin and if the variety is an R4-5 a variety collector will pay more for it.
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    don't have my bolender book w/ me... sorry. i would grade it vf-30. wish it was more original though!

K S
  • Options
    I understand that weak pressure will result in unfilled areas of the dies.but i don't understand how a central area of a die can sink with out the die being broken or falling apart.

If the planchet was not the same thickness all the way across,this would result in not enough metal to fill the die.

Help me understand,please.
    NUMO
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a raw bust dollar sight unseen, too many fakes around.
    If I was going to sell it in a sight unseen manner like eBay I would get it certified first.
    If the buyer wants it raw they can always crack it out.
  • Options
    too many fakes around

Not to discount the theoretical possibility that this is a fake, but I see no actual signs to suggest it's a fake. Of course, I'm not holding the coin.

EVP

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all there input...

I think I'll keep her for a while,probably have her slabbed...image

Randy
  • Options
    I am sure Cardinal and EVP can back this up but I am positive you could not buy these coins at greysheet wheter they are slabbed or raw. I wish the greysheet would get on the ball and update their prices on EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    Numobri,

If the die is not properly hardened the soft areas can be compressed and the die willliterally start to sink or becom concave in those areas from the constant pounding of the dies against the planchets. The early mint had a real problem with this. When the die is heated and then quenched to rapidly cool and harden it the outer layer of the die is hardened but the center of the because of its thickness cools more slowly and remains softer. When the die is put into use the softer mtal in the center of the die starts to compress. When this happens the die face is not as well supported and the die face starts to dish. This puts that portion of the die further away from the other die resulting in lower pressure and insufficient striking.
  • Options
    Thanks for insight condor,it helped.

NUMO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file