Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just beginning, need some advice!

Beginning to collect. I have a ton of silver coins but Im looking at gold now. I have about 15 gold coins. $3 gold, $2.50, $10 gold and some $20.

What is the best way to collect? Key dates (I dont believe I have any), srt building?

Should I buy every coin in the 20th century( The 34 Coin US Gold set, or should I buy that series only(Every year of the 42.50 Indian Head)?

Im looking for direction.

PS: Everyone thus far has been extremely helpful...thanks for your expertrise!
GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.

Comments

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion would be a quality gold type set - 11 or 12 piece. Unfortunately, the prices on nice MS gold have taken off over the past year.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Sorry, Gold Type Set meanin?
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My advice isn't really worth anything but I'll tell you what to collect: Collect coins with the number 6 on them. It will be a unique number 6 type collection and if you can get the Registry to accept it you will have the alltime best number 6 type collection.

Just being a smart adz. Collect the coins that you are interested in.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Go to PCGS home page click on "registry", click on "Type", then look at the various sets listed
    The glass is half full!
  • This is always a hard question for me to answer because so much depends on what the collector likes.

I'm a series collector. I've almost finished my set of Liberty Head Nickels and am startign work on the $2.50 Quarter Eagle Indians that you mentioned above. In both cases I was strongly drawn to the design of the coin and chose to collect it beacuse I find them beautiful, and take great enjoyment in them. I'm also the sort that likes to 'get them all' so thats why I tend toward date/mint series collecting.

Many here like type sets which allow for one of 'all of them' allowing great variety and satiation of a desire for a lot of different types of material.

What you choose will come down to your specific prefrences. Do you want to settle into one series and work to get them all, in which case you'll become quite well schooled in that specific type of coin. Or do you want to generlize more and spread your learnign about? Then type is the way to go.

Both ways are valid, and either can lead to tons of fun. But only you can choose what way will work best for you.

Myriads

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file