Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you ever fear that some new grading service or philosophy like "tightening" might...

severely adversely affect the value of your coins??

Remember what happened to the folks who bought raw coins, as everyone had to do before the grading services came along.......?

They bought gems many of which landed in 63 holders or worse.

For example, what if some new grading company came along that was even more conservative the PCGS and NGC.....wouldn't everyone want coins in those holders

OR

say a grading company came along that simply graded coins more consistently....wouldn't everyone want coins in those holders

OR

say PCGS and NGC got together (not likely) and agreed and did tighten grading standards.....wouldn't you lose out to coins in the new tighter standard holders?

Just curious. The reason I ask is it seems to me that ugly and just made it coins must always be owned by someone....people on this board???.......and it seems to me that bluesheet prices are too close to greysheet prices....that there should be a larger spread.....that PQ coins are worth far more than the ugliest coins.

Do you ever worry that some of your coins might not survive the next change in grading standards....?

Comments

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Yes. That's why I don't own any invented rarities, i.e., high grade, cmmon date coins. A key date will always be a key date, unless a hoard is found somewhere.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I don't think about it at all, much less worry over it.

I pretty much stick to true Key date coins with some occasional "type" stuff here and there. I have Key date coins in various grades all over the spectrum and they are all problem free.

I do not buy moderns (other than the Matte Proof Jeffs/Kennedy that I own an example of each)and do not buy "top pop" coins. I do not buy coins that I would not be able to "crack out" and sell for what I've got in them or Darn close.
  • Options
    Not really, because I am very picky, and I consider most of my coins solid for the grade.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    I don't fear it because I buy coins that I believe would have similar value in or out of holders, but I believe the scenario you describe - i.e. a change in standards or a new service coming along and changing the game - is very possible if not inevitable.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins priced fairly have always been right. If you didn't know how to grade and trade in the pre-1986 era, you got slaughtered later on. For those that did, slabs were just an affirmation that you were grading right or even more conservatively all along.

Change down the right is almost a certainty. If the market goes up or down too far, expect a reaction from the FED (oops, I mean PCGS) to adjust grading accordingly. In a strong down market, BUYERS of coins will get fussier, and reject the lower 2/3 of the
    current slabs. Heck, they may even reject all of the grade and expect one extra grade (or 2!) for their money. Hey, that's deflation! The fact that the SHEET says something different won't mean anything. Supply and Demand will set the price and what quality brings that price, not the grading services. This is what happened from 1981-1982 and there were no slab services then.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    My assumption is that the services are using more of the MS gradses in an order to get more submissions. Gradeflation is what I believe it has been termed. My suggestion is to submit the coins that you think might go up a grade and either be happy with the new grade or sell for a profit. Sooner or later the services will decide to tighten up. I believe the tightening up will take quite a while since there are a great many coins to grade and regrade.

Adrian

Do what my PM said!
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I collect for my own reward and dont usually buy a coin for "resale", "investment" or whatever would be effected by a new grading companty. If i like the coin and can afford it and its not too far from trends, its mine. Kind of like a piece of art, may go up, may go down, may stay the same.

It would suck for pcgs and ngd if a new company came into the forefront and people used them more than the current grading co's.....
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope! No worries mate! The coin is the coin. If you are buying the coin the number really doesn't matter. A Low grade Unc will still be a low grade unc, a high grade unc will still be a high grade unc, etc.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Adrian, it's a superb question. We're in an UP market. In a down market, grading changes. If the market is even slightly efficient, any coin of real value has found (or will find) it's way into an optimal holder. A simple variant of the "peter principle" would imply any coin of real value will eventually be maxed out or overgraded in the holder that will bring the most money for that coin. Right now, it's a seller's market. Should it ever become a buyer's market, only core collectors and purchasers will remain. They will be VERY picky. A 20% drop in the market would be especially important to the owner of a collection of coins in their optimum holder. The grading services will be VERY picky about what they're willing to guarantee in a down market. A just made it MS-64 would become a MS-63 on resubmission. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but remember, the collector owns a drawer full of the MS-64's, and the market is down 20%. The coin the collector purchased for a premium in 64 is now worth 63 money - 20%. What about the grade guarantee? The service says "yes, it's a downgrade". They'll pay you trend for a current market MS-64, 20% below trend when you made your purchase. You bought it at trend, right? image

Goose - There are some Modern condition rarities that make lots of sense, but I see the problem Adrian asked about magnified in that market. Many of the purchasers of those coins trust the holder some much they never look below the label. This week I found a few 69 Jeffs I thought were very nice, so I did a few comps to see what the premium coins should look like. The coin in the link below is a PCGS coin. I'm not singling them out, as there are mistakes in EVERYONE's holder. Some quick background. C/U price guide puts this coin at $800. They routinely sell for less than ½ that. The coin is likely a dipper, with haze in the fields noted in the auction description. There is chatter visible on the jaw. The buyer paid enough money for a premium coin. Link Let's suppose they hold it well into a down market. What do you guess their compensation would be if they resubmitted it for review? Does it happen in the classic market? In a down market, the remaining buyers aren't the crowd that doesn't look below the label. JMO
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The services do grade tight a significant part of them. Maybe 30-50%. The problem is that the other part of the time they are grading something other than tight (loose of dead on). Most of the tight coins eventually get returned. End result is mainly correctly graded and loosely graded coins. The loosely graded coins stay on the market.

The services have the ability to grade consistently tight all the time.
    They just either don't utilize it, don't care, or purposely invoke variability to get coins to come back for more fees or to enrich those (i.e. dealers) who can see the variability.

If one consistently grades somewhat tighter than services on average, you have no problem no or in the future.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Anaconda you get into a fight with the ol' lady? you've posted more question's in the last couple days that the last 6 months together.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Buy quality, seek scarcity, pay carefully.
    Simple isn't it.
    Takes a discipline that most don't adhere to.
    Trime
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anaconda you get into a fight with the ol' lady? you've posted more question's in the last couple days that the last 6 months together. image I was thinkin the same thing image

Adrian, that is a good post - you know those that are fussy or very grade conscious will survive that - like that bust dime we quarralled over last week I personally would never pay AU-58 money for it regardless of pedigree, plastic or whatever - I'd hate to think what would happen to that dime if your scenario materialized.
    ANother reason to buy the coin always first. Study pricing, scarcity, pops, preservation and do stick to a limited circle of chosen dealers to maintain some consistancy.

Your joining the ranks of contributing dealers here hmm do we have it made here on these boards or whatimage

Marc
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I would embrace a grading service that graded strictly and consistently. It is grading mistakes that lessen the value of really nice coins. I don't own a single coin that is not PQ for the grade. Buy the coin not the holder.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a down market, grading changes.

I don't believe that the strength of the market has anything to do with the services' grading standards.

On the other hand, the market has a subconscious influence on dealers' grading standards.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For example, what if some new grading company came along that was even more conservative the PCGS and NGC.....wouldn't everyone want coins in those holders >>

No, But I would want to buy coins already in this holders, crack them out and resubmit to PCGS and NGC.image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers and collector's really want "their" grade. If a new and very conservative grading service were to come along it would quickly fail due to lack of submissions.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    don't believe that the strength of the market has anything to do with the services' grading standards.

Andy, you know far more than I do about the services (and the market in general). Do you believe the graders are unaware of and uninfluenced by the community standard of holder acceptability? Maybe they are, it's an honest question. If the community were to decide most holdered coins were overgraded, would the TPG's react? Would graders who were recently hired from the dealer community grade to the looser TPG standard, or would they grade like the mainstream? I guess I'm asking who really owns the standard.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors seek coins for their collections; whether these are "invented rarities" or
    or large cent varieties, or Morgan dollars this is what collectors do. They've been
    collecting all these coins since long before the grading services arose and they will
    likely be collecting them long after the services are gone. Just as a slab doesn't
    create a rare large cent neither does a slab create a very high grade coin. The ser-
    vices can tighten, loosen, or even totally redefine the entire grading spectra and it
    will have no more effect on the Morgan dollar than the rare variety. Some people
    apparently don't seem to understand the concept, but ask yourself this- - If the
    services tightened up a great deal will your 16-D dime become a 17-S?

Perception plays a much larger role in pricing than it should. There are many key date
    coins which sell for multiples of what an equally scarce "common" date coin sells.
    There are gold coins with similar supply/demand to silver coins which sell for substant-
    ially more. This can be true even where the premium is so great as to render melt
    value inconsequential. There are numerous rare modern coins which bring much
    smaller premiums than older coins of similar scarcity.

So, yes, there would be some change in the market price of a collection if the grading
    services suddenly changed the way they graded coins but this change in prices would
    not be as dramatic as the change in standards. No service with competition will make
    any such change in their business anyway unless customers demand it. It appears
    that most collectors prefer the status quo and are unlikely to clamor for any major
    changes in the near future.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If the coins you buy have the "look" of top quality coins, they will hold their

value reasonably well, especially if they have a real degree of true rarity value.

Freedom from surface marks, deep luster, good strike, pleasing or spectacular color

will be desireable and valuable in any kind of market.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tightening, bring it on, will have no affect here. The coins in my collection will grade the same if not better in any service or raw for that matter. Only strong eye-appealing quality key-dates reside in my collection.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Smaaarrrttt Move.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    If you buy top quality high end coins in the first place, and know how to grade the series you're collecting then none of the scenarios presented here will effect the sale of any of your coins that you might want to sell later on...... Just that simple IMHO!image
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Buy quality, seek scarcity, pay carefully. >>

Well said. I agree totally !! image

2 Obervations:

1) Most collectors purchase based on emotion or long-term investment potential, whaeas I believe that most dealers purchase based on inventory or want list business needs & short-term investment potential to turn a quick profit.

2) Collectors have the advantage of not having to continually turn their inventory to be successful -- as do dealers to make money on transactions.

We collectors therefore can afford to be more patient and selective to wait for the right coin, at the right price. And for most of us, at least half of the fun is in the hunt for that "right coin", which makes it more gratifying when we find our latest "trophy", and helps us to appreciate it more.

I'm not concerned about grading standards tightening or loosening because I do not play the "Grading Game". None of us (individually) have control over the market valuation of coins -- it's based upon supply & demand. But we do control this supply & demand equation on a collective basis. image

What we do have control over individually is the type of coin and the quality of coin that we purchase, and at what price we pull the trigger. I prefer to focus on what I can control, rather than postulate over what I do not have control over. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Without having read what everyone else wrote, I'd say this:

As long as the new 'standard' is accepted industry-wide, then it won't make a difference on the relative value of the piece. A coin is, what it is, whether you call it MS 65 or MS63.....those are just labels.

Think back (not too far back either) when there were MS60, 63, and 65 designations....and that was it. Well, I can assure you that the best of the best, even though they still were called MS65, brought multiples of sheet price for that designation because they were recognized as being far better than anything else.

I guess it's why I've got no problem cracking out MS66 and 67 toned Morgans and putting them in Captial Plastics holders for display. They are what they are.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the obw rolls and unopened proof sets as well as the unopened boxes of GSA dollars might suffer if the grading services tighten up so much that all those coins could ever expect to grade is AU-58 or PR58????????????image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    No I don't fear it or think it is liklely to happen in the current environment. What is more likely than a new service are further innovations by the current top two services (of course PCGS and NGC) coming up with some further grade and grade related distinctions. For example, in a way the FB, FH, FBL, etc. and CAM, DCAM, etc. are variations of a grading distinction to further separate coins. NGC tried the toned v. white distinction, and currently uses the * designation for coins with great eye appeal for the grade (or something along these lines).

For a new service to come along and gain the level of market recognition it would need to make a presence that matter it is most likely only to occur if one of the top two services tank or make a colassal mistake that serverly shakes everyones confidence in then to the extent they can't recover. We are actually very fortunate to have two top grading services rather than one because it keeps each on their toes (competition can be good for competitors), including providing more incentives for further innovation.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file