Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The price of a Pedigree!!! Shameful...........

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
All you need to do is look at the pictures of the coin. Why, oh why do they do this?? Just grade the coin honestly and be done with it. If that dog is MS66, I need to get busy and submit my MS68's!!!! Oh yeah, just describe the coin and lose the page of hype, for kripe sake.

OK, I'm done. And yes, I do feel better.image

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Keets, and that's not even a "Reeded Edge" coin -- no reeds at all.. image . I guess that they are selling it under false pretense... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Man, that puppy's jaw is as bad as the overgraded 1950 DCAM Jeff that Heritage was auctioning a few months ago ...
  • Options
    <<And, since we are LIFE MEMBERS of the ANA, you can bid with total confidence.>>

It's soooo reassuring!

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    In my opinion that is a very nice MS-64 Nickel. No more then that.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    YUK, I'm reasonably sure that sucker barks at the moon.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the planchet was overweight, and those are adjustment marks.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen worse looking , graded higher, accross the street. What's with the grading of Jefferson nickels ? I'm
    amazed at the high grades these coins get assigned.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly like the subtle peripheral toning, but I will admit there are some dings and a spot that should preclude it from grading 66.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    If that's a ms66 Jefferson I have some Walkers that should be in ms70 holders!imageimageimage
  • Options
    But, but, but, but.......it's in a PCGS slab!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    OHHHH OHHHH A Modern Nickel in a Bensen slab! THUMP!!! (Dog97 falls on floor in awe-filled ecstatic faint.)
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what say... just remember there is a subjective component to grading and that grading coins is based on opinions. Some opinions are better than others and so far I like DHeath's explanation for the 66 grade best. Please keep trying everyone!image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I've seen the Benson Bump enough times to know it's real.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    most very excellent thread!

K S
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like a complete and total moron, who is Benson anyway?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At the risk of sounding like a complete and total moron, who is Benson anyway? >>

Wasn't the the butler in a sitcom!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I asked the same question of the Goldbergs when they first received that consignment. He was just a collector , alot like you or I, who had assembled a fine numismatic collection.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>
    Wasn't the the butler in a sitcom!! >>

Oh yeah, now I remember. Well whoever he is, I sure wouldn't buy a coin that was overgraded by 2 points, just cause it had his name on the slab.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's a 1939-D that's a bit more representative of the grade and the price for the coin in that grade. the Benson coin has nice luster, but as others have said it's closer to MS64 than MS66. considering that Mr. Benson was a collector of sufficient esteem to be recognized with a pedigree, it's surprising that he selected a coin that wasn't a better example of strike and i assume it was selected for it's flash.

al h.image
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    OUCH???
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, But how do we (or PCGS for that matter) really know it was a Benson coin? image

(how does the grade guarantee work for Pedigree pieces?) image

Joe.
  • Options

<< <i>considering that Mr. Benson was a collector of sufficient esteem to be recognized with a pedigree, it's surprising that he selected a coin that wasn't a better example of strike and i assume it was selected for it's flash. >>

Have you considered the fact that the coin may have been in Benson's pocket change? The auctioneer may have gone in the frame of mind, "Let's just auction off every coin that the man owns." After seeing the coin, sounds like a likely explanation.
  • Options
    Looks like someone took his tomahawk away from him and worked him over with it...lolimage
    Gary
  • Options

<< <i>(how does the grade guarantee work for Pedigree pieces?) image

Joe. >>

I don't think it works any differently. Why would the "grade guarantee" not apply if the coin is pedigreed?
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    MS64 at best - and that is an insult to some my my 64's. As soon as I read your initial post keets, I knew it was gonna be a "reeded edge" auction. One would have to be a complete ignoramus to fall for their page of hype. If the market is always so "ready to explode" why are they always trying to sell?

Reading their hype makes me ill. They only sell about 1% of their auctions though.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file