Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you ever buy a coin for way less than it's worth?

RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
I haven't, but was just wondering if anybody else has. (Note: This is a bragging opportunity thread).

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• About 5 years ago I picked up a Flowing Hair $ in F for VG price.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have... I picked up a coin in May for $20, and sold it for $200 at the ANA Summer show image... and that wasn't the only massive profit I made that weekend... made a 400% in 4 hours, and sold one coin from a lot of 12 for more than all 12 plus shipping image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a clad Ike for under $2. It graded MS67!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1991 I purchased a raw 1799 Draped Bust Dollar graded XF for just under $975. Today, the same coin (13 years later) has appreciated in value to over $5000 image

Although I purchased it for what it was worth back then, it seems like a hell of a deal now !!

I also feel that most of the AU-58 19th century type coins with great eye appeal, that can be purchased for significantly less than mint state money, are a great bargain in today's market.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • OK, Russ, I'll bite. It was probably just beginers luck, but for whatever reason, a couple years back I bought one of those NGC MS61 SLQs (not FH) for $40.00. Since we got a better replacement, I threw it up on eBay, and got $172.50 for it. I'm not accustomed to having such a return on a coin like this, and to be honest, I sold to accumilate enough to buy something I wanted more, but this knocked my socks off.
    I figured it would draw maybe,.. if 'm lucky,.. 60 - 80 bucks! It's times like these I'm sooooooo glad to be soooooo wrong. Needless to say I immediately blew the tiny wad + a little extra on something a bit more passionate to me.

BTW, it was a 1917 T1

Keep smiling!
    Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Hmmm ...

$16 (raw) for the pair:

$2.75 (raw) PR-67 CAM at PCGS ('57 is the rarest 1950s Jeff proof in CAM):

$10 PCGS PR-67 (pre-CAM designation) crackout = PR68 DCAM

And, many, many more ... but this makes for a nice little cherry appetizer! image

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I always overpay. I'm just waiting till 2040 to sell.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Ok, before I really edjumacated myself, I bought a 1955 Doubled Die off of the bay of E. It ended up closing at about $1500, as it was graded MS63RD by PCI ugh. Little did I know about different slabbing companies and what their practices were, so I could've gotten stuck with a fake, cleaned, altered, bs piece ofimage

When I received the coin it looked to me like it was really solid for the grade, full red, clean fields, no carbon, decent strike for the issue, blah blah. Anyway, the more I looked at it, the more I thought it was a great coin. So I brought it to my local dealer and asked him what he thought about it. He told me he would have somebody look at it. Turns out the guy who he had look at it used to be the finalizer for NGC, and he said it looked good and to send it in to NGC.

So, about a month later I call my dealer and he tells me to come on in, I'm gonna be real happy. When I got there he hands me the NGC slab..MS63RD.

Yes I was happyimage Does this mean the value went up? If so, then this post belongs here, if not, sorry, I'm OTimage

Or does it mean NGC can't grade? OR, PCI can gradeimage

Rob
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$16 (raw) for the pair: >>

Oh yeah, Randy, regarding that SMS Kennedy; in case I haven't told you recently, you suck!

Russ, NCNE
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Right back at ya, Russ. Come clean ... how much did you pay for the set your sig coin came out of? image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, all the time.

Come over to the Dark Side, Luke! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how much did you pay for the set your sig coin came out of? >>

More than $16. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Hmmm... don't think I've underpayed for anything... but I hope to cherry a nice Micro-S at an upcoming show and submit it to NGC... gonna have some help doing it too... wish me luck... mwhahaha!
    -George
    42/92
  • Knowingly or unknowingly?

Unknowingly?
    I bought a lot of 25 coins without looking at them, and that's where the 4 1882 O/S's came from. image

Knowingly?
    I think that's what the whole varieties thing is about, isn't it? Try to find a rare variety coin and buy it for common variety money? I've certainly done that...

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ever buy a coin for way less than it's worth?

Regrettably, no. image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought an 1805 Prussian 4 Groshen today for 30c. It came out of a junk bin. The coin lists for $10.00 in Krause.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Mine was just about a month ago. Got a PR69DCAM Ike 1976 type 2 for 20.00 plus shipping in a auction. They seem to be going about 50.00 to 60.00 at auction, much more at the show that I have attended.

Not a big one but I don't collect big........................yet
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Not me, I never buy anything.image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Never, I just like the taste of plastic.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 1863 "MS60" IHC for $85 at a store in PDX. Got it slabbed at MS64. Same store bought a "MS60" 1894 $10 gold and got it slabbed at MS62. That's the best that I've done.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • papabearpapabear Posts: 851 ✭✭
    I found this at the flea market it's cleaned but for $20 bucks I couldn't pass image
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    I cherried an uncleaned, nicely-toned bust quarter from E-bay a while back. It is a very rare variety that you hardly ever see (or, that I hardly ever see). image
    I purchased a beautiful 1927-D Peace Dollar certified as PCGS AU-58 that looks like an MS-64 to me. I've carefully studied the coin and can't see the faintest amount of wear, rub or hairlines and figure that it may be worth several times my purchase price image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Buff commems, and 99 qtr bags were nice for me
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn't me telling it, I'd never believe it but I bought three 1932-D quarters in a bag of silver. They came back from NGC as MS62, 62, 63!
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I bought a 76 Silver Bicentennial Mint Set for $11 on eBay......
    The Kennedy came back PCGS MS69image
    Still....the only one (PCGS) ever made!

Gandyjaiimage
  • Not on coins,but bought a error web note off the bay for $7.20 and sold two months later on the bay for $201!!Over 2000% profit.Wish I could do that every timeimage
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and my XF 1859 IHC set me back $7 image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I got off Ebay for 55 cents + 1 dollar shipping
    I have done so much with so little for so long that I can now do anything with nothing for ever
  • In 1987 I bought a cleaned scratched 1807 capped bust half dollar for 1k image thru a Heritage auction, I guess most people assumed it was the common variety 112 (at least thats what a dealer told me he thought) but in reality it was a rare early die state for the bearded goddess variety 111. There are only about 6 peices known without any trace of the beard (die crack running from chin to bust), when I sold it in 1992 thru a bust half specialty auction thru SD it realized 8k.
  • I got this off Ebay for 55 cents + 1 dollar shipping
    I have done so much with so little for so long that I can now do anything with nothing for ever
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cherrypicked a 1890 QDO IHC at the Baltimore ANA, PCGS 64 for about $300 - worth roughly $2000. imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • Bought an 1863 BU Cent,$60 came back NGC MS 66.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    As often as I can. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I guess it might happen one day, but so far, not with the sharp cookies

I have been dealing with.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • I've had 2 good scores in the last year: an 1851 large cent in AU58RB for $36 and a 1925-D merc in AU53 for $48. Both were Ebay buysimage
    Mark
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    My latest bragging

2003 ASE PCGS PR70Dcam $90
    1881cc GSA $15
    1882cc GSA $15
    1883cc GSA $15
    1878cc Ngc MS64 $200
    1881cc Ngc Ms64 $250
    1999 Silver proof set $125

Have a few more but not at these savings. Been a good last two months...

Tom
  • 3 weeks ago I bought 5 1995 and 1 1997 proof set at a flea market for $30.00 total. Sold them last week for over $300.00 on ebay. A little cheap?? Maybe. But I didn't want them, so I'm happy. Also last year I bought 134 PCGS green boxes at the Iola car show for 50 cents each. Been sellilng them on ebay for 5 for $21.00 plus shipping. Pretty happy with that. Steve
  • I would have to say that I have. I purchased a 1942 T-1 Jefferon graded PCGS PR-67 for $85. Last week I saw on Teletrade that 2 had sold recently for $220 each. So I think that was quite a pickup for me.image
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    In 2001 I bought a PCGS 65 red 1902 Indian penny for 189 dollars plus 5 for shipping, who says all bargins are raw !!!

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • A couple years ago I picked up the 1998, 2 coin Kenndy Collectors Set for $125. I still have it. image

A few weeks ago I BIN'd a 1972 Kennedy PCGS 69 DCAM for $20 and turned it around a couple weeks later for $77 on Ebay. imageimage
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Not the biggest $$ jump but the biggest x times sheet jump; raw 56 proof set with nice franklin, pcgs graded it proof 68 dcam & sold on tt for $525 back in 1990 something. I bet it's worth lots more now because of the PCGS set registry.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    Trooper: Are you saying that you RECENTLY purchased the GSA CC Morgans at $15 a piece, or were those your original GSA purchases back during the govt auctions, when the "tarnished" (toned) ones sold for $15 ??

If you got them recently for $15, please give me the name and contact info of your source via a private message !!! image

Stuart

• MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    that takes good luck and mine is all bad. more often I pay more than its worth. way more

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up an 1858 half dime for a buck or two (back in about 1980). I looked it up in my Red Book when I got home. I saw there was an 1858 over 1858, and an 1858 inverted date. I very carefully removed the grime from the date to reveal an overdate coin! It now sits in a VG10 slab, so I guess I found one by accident.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I saw the auction where trooper bought them for $15 last week.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    Dog97: That truly is incredible !! Was the auction on E-Bay ??

Stuart

• Dog
    Don't give away my secrets. Not to many people check the India Global Site Ebay sales for GSA dollarsimage

Tom
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    $20 raw Ike on eBay about 3-4 weeks ago

$150 walk through at Long Beach

now in NGC MS67 slab

offered $2500 for but turned down

I was the seller of the raw IKE, not sure if the rest is totally accurate but that is what the buyer said
    maybe he could post a few pictures

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file