Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the most controversial topic relating to coins?

What is the most controversial topic relating to coins?

adrian

Comments

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    The "is it AT or NT" discussions seem to get people going.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many. First one that comes to mind is to slab or not to slab, the second is toning...NT or AT?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Grading companies and their ability to have seemingly floating grades depending on the time of year!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    Modern vs. classic.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    just about anything you start Adrian.image

actually I have to agree with Clw54.
  • To dip or not to dip.
  • I've been interested in the area of "conservation" of coins that has come about since the treasure ships of the recent past (Central America, Brother Jonathan) have been discovered. It seemed to me that any type of cleaning of coins was verboten until these gold coins from sunken ships were dredged up. All of a sudden, "proper" cleaning of coins was ok (or at least cleaning by the "big boys") while the little guys still get their submissions returned in body bags. Of course I know that it is the manner in which a coin is cleaned that determines if it is damaged, but it just seems to me that when I submit a 200 year old copper coin that may have been cleaned 100 years ago, and shows no adverse surface damage, it should get the same consideration as a 150 year old gold coin that had been encrusted in sea water its entire life. Just my opinion.
    Garyimage
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    1. Grading standardization.
    2. Conservation/Cleaning.
    3. Ethics.
  • Too many grades, particularly in the MS range...
  • The good dealers -vs- the bad, evil dealers.
  • The ranking of grading companies, in particular who is 2nd, 3rd & 4th. Everyone names to same ones, just in a different order.
    Seems to be no dispute over #1 (PCGS).
    If you always tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    1. Conservation

2. Ebay Scammers

3. NT vs. AT

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The love/hate relationship between agengjim and legend!
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Grading standardization.
    2. Conservation/cleaning.
    3. Ethics

Brian,

I would agree that these are at the top of the list for collectors.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! We've got alot of controversial subjects to discuss about coins to keep us from becoming "bored" with this board. image And if we run out of controversial things to say, we can just change the channel and go over to the "open forum" image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • I can think of several:

1. Grading and grading companies
    2. Cleaning or "conservation" (a fancy word for cleaning)
    3. Natural vs. artificial toning
    4. Investing vs. hobby
    5. Pricing
    6. Best dealers
    7. Cherrypicking
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • How anyone could sell a coin raw. When they could take a week to send the coin(s) registered mail, 4 months in the grading process, another week for a return trip by registered mail and then sell the coin. image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading, hands down.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    In God We Trust
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Janet Jackson and the SLQ T1. Coincidence? I think not.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are sample slabs O/T?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether posters with dogs as their icons are 'all there'...... or NOT! image
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Whether posters with dogs as their icons are 'all there'...... or NOT!

I think Frank is okay ... he collects Franklinsimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the range of MS grades from MS 60 to 70 for almost any metal copper, silver or gold, modern or classic and the premiums paid for one point.

Tbig
    Whether posters with dogs as their icons are 'all there'...... or NOT!

Wanted - superb chopmarked trade dollars. If you have a blazing unc, please email me!

The pot is calling the kettle black! image
    Andy Lustig

I think Frank is okay ... he collects Franklins

Ewwwwww - double whammy! image

The pot is calling the kettle black!

Franklin Mint! Franklin Mint! image
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I think it is who sucks more...

Russ
    RGL
    DHeath
    MadMarty
    ksteelheader

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
    Franklin Mint! Franklin Mint!

Jealous?
    Andy Lustig

Jealous?

That you can enjoy yourself and have money left over.................ABSOLUTELY! Of course, if I didn't spend it on coins, it'd probably just go into stock market losses.... or the wife would spend it! image

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Dipping without a doubt!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is the crackout game. Too much inconsistencies in MS grading especially when every grade point can mean thousands even tens of thousands of dollars difference. too much faith placed in the plastic and too much inflexibility trying to buy coins at a level different than the sanctified holder grade.

Tyler
  • Wow...as i was reading the thread i caught myself thinking.....yeah, that's really controversial.......yeah, that really pushes my button......etc., etc.

In so many ways we're really lucky that we have so many controversial topics to discuss.

I've thought many times before that in many ways, coins are such grist for the mill.......

But, to answer my question, i think grading and it's many subcomponents is the most controversial.

As coins have become so amazingly expensive, the grades have become more and more important yet still so very subjective.

I recently bought an 1801 $10 in mint state 64, the coin whose image i posted yesterday. If it's actually a mint state 63 it's worth about $25,000. If it's truly a 64 it's worth around $50,000. If someone cracks it out and gets a 65, it's worth $150,000.

Many people make $25,000 a year, so that coin is either anywhere from one year's wages to a potential of 6 years wages. That is huge and in my opinion, grading is still the most controversial. I'm not saying that my opinion is right - i'm just giving you the reason why i think the way i do.

adrian

• I would appreciate it if somone would run a poll or count the responses given.

I would be curious to know a little more objectively what we as a group think is the most controversial topic.

(I did note and like the subject of a type one SLQ vs. Janet Jackson's breast.)
  • The blatant dishonesty throughout the industry
    aknow

Looking for uncirculated Indian Heads and PRS electric guitars
    The blatant dishonesty throughout the industry

aknow - I don't understand. Who's dishonest?
    Andy Lustig

Adrian: What you say regarding the 1801 $10 is absolutely true. It's unfortunate that a coin can't be priced to an absolute. The best we can do is approximate.

You stated your list of grades and values:

I recently bought an 1801 $10 in mint state 64, the coin whose image i posted yesterday. If it's actually a mint state 63 it's worth about $25,000. If it's truly a 64 it's worth around $50,000. If someone cracks it out and gets a 65, it's worth $150,000.

Now make it look like this:

I recently bought an 1801 $10 in mint state 64, the coin whose image i posted yesterday. If it's actually an NGC MS 63 it's worth about $15-20k, a PCGS mint state 63 and it's worth about $25,000. If it's truly an NGC MS64 then it's worth about $35-40k, if a PCGS 64 it's worth around $50,000. If someone cracks it out and gets an NGC MS65, then it's worth $75-100k and if it crosses to PCGS MS65, it's worth $150,000

See how the two services work off each other to lower the value gaps between grades? This is not controversial to those who understand and accept - just 'the way it is'! image
  • "The blatant dishonesty throughout the industry."

I think that is one of the most unfortunate things connected to coins but not as controversial as who is the biggest loser in this forum.

• Why MadMarty seems to be whooping other peoples a$$es by finding multiples of great coins... image
  • "See how the two services work off each other to lower the value gaps between grades?"

Interesting. I think the problem isn't what it's worth once it's in a holder. The problem is that a given coin could get into one of six holders.
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Adrian: What you say regarding the 1801 $10 is absolutely true. It's unfortunate that a coin can't be priced to an absolute. The best we can do is approximate.

You stated your list of grades and values:

Now make it look like this:

I recently bought an 1801 $10 in mint state 64, the coin whose image i posted yesterday. If it's actually an NGC MS 63 it's worth about $15-20k, a PCGS mint state 63 and it's worth about $25,000. If it's truly an NGC MS64 then it's worth about $35-40k, if a PCGS 64 it's worth around $50,000. If someone cracks it out and gets an NGC MS65, then it's worth $75-100k and if it crosses to PCGS MS65, it's worth $150,000

See how the two services work off each other to lower the value gaps between grades? This is not controversial to those who understand and accept - just 'the way it is'! image >>

Yep, and it's still the same coin regardless of the number on the plastic. Something is screwy with this system.
    Well, you've got your coin value and your plastic value. Unfortunately, sometimes the plastic value is negative. Sometimes it's positive. That's the "power of the holder".
    sometimes the plastic value is negative

TDN - You know better!
    Andy Lustig

Ever had a coin that you felt was worth more out of the holder than in? How about one of those AU63's in an AU58 holder? Or a properly graded coin in an ACG holder? image

Sometimes, the plastic value is negative.
    double post
    Sometimes, the plastic value is negative.

Not as long as you can remove the coin from the holder.
    Andy Lustig

Just because you CAN remove the coin from the holder doesn't change the fact that sometimes the plastic value is negative.
    Just because you CAN remove the coin from the holder doesn't change the fact that sometimes the plastic value is negative.

Yes, it does. If a coin that's worth $1000 raw is slabbed and the plastic says it's worth two bucks, the coin will still bring $1000 at auction. The value of the plastic is zero, not negative $998.
    Andy Lustig

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Done deal" or not?? imageimage

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
    No, Andy, risk is involved. The coin you mention will go for $900 - therefore the value of the plastic in that case is negative $100.

The coin you mention will go for $900 - therefore the value of the plastic in that case is negative $100.

Nope. I said that the coin is worth $1000 raw. But more to the point, whatever the risks, the coin will bring the same price raw as it would in a soon-to-be-cracked slab. So the plastic is worth ZERO.

Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file