Home Q & A Forum
Options

Why does PCGS ....NOT.....protect its name?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
The trick on eBay is to list a coin with "not PCGS" or "PCGS would be a jillion dollars" or somesuch sly way of putting "PCGS" into the heading.

This screws up legitimate searches for PCGS coins.

When I had my pawnshop, I ran a DeWalt "sawzall" on eBay. It took 2 days before I was notified by Milwaukee Tools (who own the trademark "Sawzall") that I had 2 days to remove the word "Sawzall" from my listing or answer to their lawyers.

I am torn between wondering if the free advertising is worth letting just anyone use your name or if protecting it increases your value and makes friends with those searching for your product.

What is YOUR position on this?

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    We of course strongly object to this practice. It's called "keyword spamming" and it is against eBay's policies. We are a member of eBay's "VERO" program and have the right to doscontinue auctions that abuse this practice. We periodically warn sellers about this practice, and we do not think it is widespread.

If you see someone who does this, please let PCGS Vice president, Mike Sherman, know. You can contact Mike at shermanm@collectors.com.

Thanks,

David