Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The PSA grade of "AUTHENTIC" on a modern card?

what does it mean if they only graded it as
"AUTHENTIC" on this modern issue that
seems fine enough to grade?

(and I assume if it were trimmed or altered, they would
have either noted that or not slabbed it at all...)

~jeff
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    maybe they're just authenticating the auto?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Interesting....I have seen it on vintage that has been trimmed or altered, but not on modern cards.

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen it on vintage >>

Like this one I totally get....

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>maybe they're just authenticating the auto? >>

yup..has the PSA/DNA cert #
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    I understand that PSA/DNA "authenticated" the sig...
    but My question is WHY did PSA not give the CARD
    a grade? Instead, they just gave it their designation
    of "AUTHENTIC" which as disucssed has only been
    used in the past for VINTAGE items of "IMPORTANCE"
    that for some reason or another could not be given
    even a PSA 1.... (like the Ruth card.)

**and IF it were trimmed it would likely have that
    listed on the Flip... as PSA has done that too
    (BUT AGAIN, that too has only been used in the
    past for VINTAGE items of "IMPORTANCE"....)

imageimage
  • Options

In some cases, PSA will give the submitter the option of merely having an autographed card "slabbed" but not graded. Some collectors prefer to have just "authentic" placed on the holder instead of "PSA EX 5" and the PSA/DNA authentication number.

Most submitters choose the grade and authentication but some do not. PSA can satisfy both requests.

Thanks for the support,

Joe Orlando
    PSA President
    Joe Orlando
    CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.
  • Options
    Psa would have likely placed a mk qualifier if they gave this card a grade. Since the card was originaly sold not auto'd, any markings auto or not technically effect the grade of the card.

Many collectors would consider this rookie card ruined and nearly worhtless because of the sig. The value would only be in the signature itself as if it was on a blank piece of paper.
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Options
    A little OT Joe?
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF40...That's not entirely correct. PSA does not give MK qualifiers to autographed cards, solely because of the autograph. For instance, I have an autographed 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn rookie card. It is PSA/DNA certified, and graded PSA Mint 9. No qualifiers on it.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation Joe.
    I was not aware that option existed
    with the PSA/DNA card grading.
    I may take advantage of it someday
    with my lower grade condition vintage autos.

~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Many collectors would consider this rookie card ruined and nearly worhtless because of the sig. The value would only be in the signature itself as if it was on a blank piece of paper. >>

Not exactly true... especially with Big Mac!
    He was never a big signer
    and his sig is So often faked
    that a PSA/DNA Authenticated sig
    is worth more than the RC would ever be.

~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    BKAH, thankx for the heads up re: BigMac and his sig. I have been thinking of buying a card of him signed if I could find one at the National in Cleveland. Now if I do I will look for it PSa/DNA
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • Options
    good luck!
    here you go!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Many collectors would consider this rookie card ruined and nearly worhtless because of the sig. The value would only be in the signature itself as if it was on a blank piece of paper. >>

Not exactly true... especially with Big Mac!
    He was never a big signer
    and his sig is So often faked
    that a PSA/DNA Authenticated sig
    is worth more than the RC would ever be.

~jeff >>

As I said, many collectors would consider the card almost worthless, NOT THE SIGNATURE. Big Mac's sig is valuable of course........but a talented forger can fool the best expert. You never really know if an auto is authentic unless you watch them sign it. Insert auto cards have value because of their perceived authenticity but cards like this carry big question marks PSA/DNA cert or not.
  • Options

<< <i>VF40...That's not entirely correct. PSA does not give MK qualifiers to autographed cards, solely because of the autograph. For instance, I have an autographed 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn rookie card. It is PSA/DNA certified, and graded PSA Mint 9. No qualifiers on it.

Steve >>

Interesting. Well, perhaps they should. I did say "likely". It appears the word "authentic" on the holder is verifying that the card itself is authentic not the auto. The words PSA/DNA Certified is supposed to apply to the auto I assume?

Notice they don't use the term "authentic autograph". Of course there is no possible way they could guarantee the auto is authentic unless a psa rep saw Mcguire sign it.
  • Options
    vikesfan is one of those who likes to argue. if this thread had said how terrible psadna was then he would have extoled their virtues for days. some people just prefer to be contrary.
  • Options

<< <i>It appears the word "authentic" on the holder is verifying that the card itself is authentic not the auto. The words PSA/DNA Certified is supposed to apply to the auto I assume?

Notice they don't use the term "authentic autograph". Of course there is no possible way they could guarantee the auto is authentic unless a psa rep saw Mcguire sign it. >>

VK,
    you are right.
    No one can be sure unless they
    SEE a signature occur, but MOST
    Autograph collectors do not just travel
    the country going to shows and games
    collecting autos... and any company that
    SAYS it authenticates autos that they
    "witness" only, is subject to being
    mistrusted! (some people lie to make a buck!)

So credibility is EVERYTHING and THAT is
    why PSA/DNA is doing so well
    (like Steiner, UDA and a couple of others)

Most of the hundreds of companies like this
    are NOT respected and do not have any
    credibility.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>vikesfan is one of those who likes to argue. if this thread had said how terrible psadna was then he would have extoled their virtues for days. some people just prefer to be contrary. >>

Ouch. I will admit I enjoy debating with other members on this board when I have a strong opinion about a topic (like autographs). But your accusation is rude, unfounded and completely false. Shame on you.

I love PSA and I love autographs. Fact is though, many of them are fake, especially Mcguire. If you think your auto is authentic because it's in a slab marked PSA/DNA you're kidding yourself.