Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1992d Lincoln Close AM pics....

Another attempt at pics......image

Comments

• Options
    Nice pics, especially for copper. Thats the one type of coin that I haven't mastered photography on yet. Explain what the close AM is and its significance please.....Ken
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a 1993 reverse die that was used at the Denver mint, by mistake, on a 1992 penny. Or so the story goes. Starting in 1993 the reverse Lincoln die has the A and M in America nearly touching. In 1992 and prior the A and M are much further away. The designer initials are also in different locations at the base of the Memorial. This penny is quite rare to locate. I only know of 3 identified but Ken Potter claims to know of six. Anyway that's the scoop!! Keep an eye out for one!!
  • Options
    BTW it's slabbed PCGS MS64RD, but no attribution. That's what some of us were raging about the other night.....the fact that PCGS is so slow to attribute or recognize varieties widely known. This one is in the Red Book and they snubbed their nose at it. image

Error and variety collectors get no respect from PCGS. image
  • Options
    You are absolutly right Chris. These are very collectable varieties as are also the 1998,1999 and 2000. When there are so few a variety not only is attributation important but also including it in the pop. report. Even the 1995D fs041 doubled die cent is not in the pop. report. I found out they attributed it buy seeing a couple on e-bay. Joe
  • Options
    One last post about this coin and then I put it to bed for a long time. I guess if you don't buy a new Red Book each year, you'd never see the new varieties. Anyhow....Here she is....One last time.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file