Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's an Ebay account worth?

Alright...I had an offer for one of my Ebay accounts. It has over 400 positives with over 350 unique users. Only one neg on it.

Now here is the question for everyone. What do you think a Ebay account is worth?

This guy has made a very serious offer for the account. He will sign all documentation I request (for legal matters just incase he trashes the Ebay account). Basically it's a person who was on ebay, powerseller that ran into some bad sales and thinks the negatives (multiple in a row) will hurt his account. What's an account worth....a good rep on Ebay is very valuable......

CB4

Comments

• Options
    I'd say your eBay account will probably sell for the same amount as that SPX Vince Carter card you sold a few years ago -- $35,000.
  • Options
    Ranch...seriously....if you don't have anything to say then stay off my threads. Go squeeze a pimple or something.
    CB4
  • Options

I'd take $200 cash for it.
  • Options
    The whole thought of "selling" Ebay accounts kinda creeps me out. Your would be selling someone a false identity. If he does start ripping people off or anything crooked, you would be an accomplice. It shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. I understand that there is no way to stop it or know when someone does it, but it's not right. Maybe he figures that the small amount that he pays you is well worth it when he thinks of all the $$$$ he will get back when he rips others off. There is some kind of alterior motive here for him. Millions of others sell with tons of negatives and people still buy from them.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I never heard of such a thing.
    Why would anyone want to buy someone elses account? Do they plan to play games w/ their auctions, so your solid feedback will make the unwitting bidder bid? Why pay anthing for an eBay account when you can open one for free, unless he is banned from eBay.
    You can build up a solid feedback base in no time. I have several thousand feedbacks w/ no neuts or negs, I didn't know this had any value. It wouldn't be for sale anyway at any price. Customers that are used to dealing w/ me expect quick service and a return privilidge, perhaps the new owner of my account wouldn't be so customer friendly. ...jay
  • Options
    I agree with Jay. Why would anyone want to "buy"
    an account unless it was for some dishonest purpose?
    The current accounts and feedback records will become
    meaningless and then we all will end up suffering or getting
    burned. Just say no.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Yea...that was my suspision with him wanting the account. But he will sign a few documents and give me all his contact information (even drivers licence). Basically if he does intend on using it for illegal purposes I would have all of his contact information and can supply it to Ebay as well as law enforcement.

This guy had a very good feedback rating and just ran into a bad string of packages (like 4 negs in a short amount of time). Basically wants to start over without starting over. He would get a user account with plenty of feedback and many ebay users just look at the numbers and feel comfortable bidding.

The offer for the account is great but I do have all the info just incase this guy try anything funny.
    CB4
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    vincecarder - Out of curiosity what is the ebay account. It would seem that an account of less than 1000 would still not be that desirable even if it was flawless.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Id like to see some of the figures that people sold there accounts for? This is interesting. Wouldnt ebay have something to say about it? if they make it legal then im all for it. heck Id build feedback for people and sell all day. Then sell the account like a business i think its a great idea if it was backed by a law of some sort.
  • Options

people sell their businesses, websites, and other services including the business name and customer database so why not ebay accounts? someone could buy your reastaraunt from you and keep the same name and start serving awful food and give you a bad name
  • Options
    Just ask yourself............ What would be the RIGHT thing to do??? And I'll think you will answer the question yourself!!
  • Options
    When my ebay feedback was around 8,000 I had an offer of $8000 -- basically a $1.00 a feedback

My current feedback

I would let her rip - a month of buying and selling etopps will net you a 350 and you are back to the same feedback rating with no shipping and very few headaches as almost all the etopps people pay via paypal.
  • Options
    Not sure what it would be worth, but I would NOT do it!! If he is a "Powerseller" (Not that it means anything anymore), he should be able to get his 400+ feedback on his own quick enough. I would be suspicious regardless of whether or not he provides some kind of legal documentation. At best, he is a lazy person and not a good businessman.
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.
  • Options
    VC, did you that account for buying or selling?
    RIP Snow
  • Options
    It's a seperate account for buying and selling. It's basically sold. Just finalizing the deal.
    CB4
  • Options
    EBay won't allow the sale of one of their accounts. They are intended to be for personal/business use and are not transferable. I am sure it says that in the User Agreement.
  • Options
    I just checked with EBay on this issue via their LIVE HELP.... You might want to read it as well as look at the Privacy Policy before jumping into this pond. ( I highlighted the key things) it went something like this:

Your chat session has started..
    Chelsea: Hello! My name is Chelsea.
    Chelsea: Welcome to eBay Live Chat. How may I help you?
    Bill: Hi Chelsea...
    Chelsea: Hello there!
    Bill: I have a question i'd like to ask about
    Chelsea: Sure, go ahead.
    Bill: I was recently involved in a conversation in which they were discussing selling their EBay accounts. Is this legal?? I responded with I thought it was prohibited by the user agreement, but found nothing refering to it in there. Can someone SELL their account to someone else? Please let me know and enclose the written statement refered to.
    Chelsea: Hmm..that's a good question.
    Chelsea: One moment please.
    Bill: ok thanks
    Chelsea: Okay, I'm still searching for that written statement referring to that.
    Chelsea: However, we do not allow anyone to sell their account to someone else since that account is a personal one.
    Bill: that's what i had thought
    Chelsea: I cannot seem to find that particular policy right now. But here's what I suggest.
    Chelsea: Okay, basically, we do not allow members to sell their account on eBay.
    Chelsea: This is because of the information contained in every specific account which are information vital to each member.

Bill: One is not allowed to sell their account (w/ feedback) at all or just ON EBay?
    Chelsea: It also has something to do with our Privacy policy.
    Chelsea: When you register on eBay, we ask you to provide us with information which belongs to you alone. This information is guarded by us since you have placed your trust in us enough to become a member.
    Chelsea: Here is a page about our Privacy Policy:
    Chelsea: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html
    Bill: another question: What if someone does sell their account? They can just change the contact information on it and create a "new" account. What/if anything can/will EBay do about it?
    Chelsea: Technically, there is nothing we can do about it if information on that account is changed since changes on contact information are the prerogative of the member who owns the account.
    Bill: ok.
    Chelsea: However, should there be any complaints regarding that account, it will be thoroughly investigated and appropriate action could be taken against that particular member.
    Bill: So it's against policy, but uninforcable.
    Chelsea: It is against policy.
    Bill: Ebay keeps a record of changes made to the account as well if I remember correctly
    Chelsea: However, if a member voluntarily lets another person get hold of his account and assumes use and ownership of it, there is really nothing we can do about that.
    Chelsea: Yes, changes made to one's account are noted on each account information.
    Bill: so if an account changes hands and suddenly goes "down hill" the original registerer might/will be investigated as well as the current registered user.
    Chelsea: The one who will be investigated will be the member whose name currently appears on the account.

Bill: ok. thanks for your help Chelsea. I will pass this on to the others. Up to them I guess. Have a great weekend
  • Options
    I guess it can be done. Vince how did you go about selling yours? Id like to sell mine.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing Kuhl. My business account is at 99.1% at 2000+ rating... and i haven't used it in nearly 2 years, would have been to 4-5000 by now had I, but I don't use it any more.
  • Options
    how much would you want for your wlf3? ;-)
  • Options
    mine is 1575 positives, with 99.2% rate. Id like to know where people are getting these offers. Id consider selling.
  • Options
    message me an offer MXRacer. image

Let's see what everyone thinkks, here's one of my accounts' stat sheet. I know the thread has said $1-2 per feedback. Almost 3200 possitves, only 18 negs from Feb 2, 1998 - Feb 26, 2002 (4 years). I haven't used it in 2 years... go figure. I once got a $5000 offer that I turned down when I was at about 1500, then again I was using it to sell 100s of items a week.

Feedback Score: 2019
    Positive Feedback: 99.1%

Members who left a positive: 2037
    Members who left a negative: 18

All positive feedback received: 3195

I'm kind of currious now, since this is a discussion. Based on the above, what does anyone think it's worth? Vince? anyone else? Still $1-2 per possitve? $10,000? $100?

I have actually been looking for a buyer for my biz for a year or so, and thought i'd toss in the ID and feedback when that happened anyhow. Like someone said above, if it's part of the biz, there shouldn't be a problem... but is there any "market" (I'm sure there is) for just an ID?