Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade on this Barber Half and win nothing - GRADE,PRIZE AND WINNER ADDED

I took this coin and laid it on the ground in the back yard. It's white, not toned.
The colors you see are : silver - my camera, black the lens and eye piece, and blue is the sky.

What grade AND designation did PCGS give this coin?
Each guess wins the same prize ( nothing ), other than the pride in showing your skills.

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    ME: Novice - Idiot - Hethan

Grade Presented: MS64

Don't tell me I'm wrong, for I know I am. Rather, just say "you're not even close".

If I don't try my hand at these things, how will I learn? image

Added: by the pic I'd almost have to say it's proof-like.
    On second thought: PR MS65 , so color me stupid
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    Taking a blind stab, I am going to say that it is MS. Past there it is hard to tell. Lets with 64. 65's are pretty tough.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say PR66 ... doesn't look cameo from the pic but I can't think of any other designation PCGS would give so I'll officially say PR66CAM image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    pr63cam
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR63, maybe, but not CAM. I have a PR63 CAM in a PCGS holder.

In fact, I would be more inclined to say PR62 on that piece, because of the hairlines, but it's hard for me to tell what's on the holder and what's on the coin.

It's tough to image an all-white coin like that, ain't it? I have yet to get a picture I like of my white PR63 CAM.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would say PR63 maybe with a Cam designation.

Tyler
  • Options
    lordmarcovan - I can see that your coin is much more cameo than relayers. So I have no idea what the designation could be. However, I do think that the hairlines on the obverse are on the slab and not the coin (IMO). I'm sticking with my PR66, the coin you have has a pretty good hit on the cheek and the one in this thread seems to have a really smooth cheek. But who knows...by my track record it's probably a PR60 or a PR69DCAM LOL.
  • Options
    There is no hit on the cheek of my coin- probably just my usual bad images.

You're probably right that relayer's has a higher technical grade, though. It's not a CAM but it maybe higher in numerical grade than my Benson piece. Those probably were holder scuffs I saw in his pic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yeah yer right. I see a "hit" on the cheek in the top left pic you have but not in the other pics so it must be a phantom. What other designation could it have other than cam or dcam? Perhaps a hoard name?
  • Options
    Good question.

I missed that part where he mentioned "designation".

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The coin appears to be a Proof, not Cameo, but the lighting throws me off and I see slide marks which could be on the holder. There is something going on above the O in God, and I can't tell if its on the holder or the coin.

Based on the photograph, I'd say its a PR 63.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    PF58-60 is my guess
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it grades proof-61.

K S
  • Options
    Hey I ALWAYS win nothing so my guess is PR63. image

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Prf 63.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I have lots of nothing to give away, so let's see if the daytime crowd has any input.

Besides, there may be a prize awaiting...image
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'll say PR65. Are those hairlines or is that the slab?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    PR-64. There appear to be numerous hairlines and there is

no apparent cameo contrast.

If I win, can the absolutely nothing prize be sent to me right away.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prf 62
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    While there is an excellent chance that I will miss the grade, I have some comments aimed at trying to help others when they examine and grade coins...

The first thing I notice is that the coin appears to be an obvious Proof, as opposed to a business strike/mint state piece. It has mirror surfaces unlike those which a business strike example would have. If the coin were being offered on Ebay or elsewhere and had not been certified, I might worry about whether it was merely a (no-grade) cleaned or polished business strike. But, I do not have that concern in this case.

Now, starting from a perfect Proof 70 and working down from there, here are the obvious imperfections that should result in points being deducted:

Obverse: It appears to have light horizontal hairlines across cheek and upper neck; minor ticks/abrasions behind Ms. Liberty's head; cuts at rim near 11:00; continuation of hairlines in front of MS. Liberty's face and neck; unsightly haze/discoloration or light staining on Liberty's face, at the date going clock-wise to the third star and around "GOD WE".

The noted hairlines might look better/less obvious or worse/more obvious in person but, before I turn the coin over and look at the reverse, it already has enough imperfections/distractions so that even if the reverse is perfect, I will not grade the coin higher than PR64. And, I don't see the required contrast to be thinkig about assigning it the "cameo" designation. I also remember that this date is rarely seen with noticeable contrast.

Now, if anyone is still awake I will get to the reverseimage: The first and most troubling distraction to me is the dark stain among the arrows in the eagle's left (viewer's right) claw. I dislike that on any coin, especially a Proof. There is also some haze/discoloration similar to that seen on the obverse.

Based on all of the above, my final grade is PR63. Even if I am incorrect (and it could be by more than a point) I hope that this public thought process/analysis has been helpful to some.
  • Options
    Relayer, I'm leaving town for a day, fairly soon - what was the grade?image
  • Options
    PR63
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    PR62?
  • Options
    PR64 Nice coin
  • Options
    It is PR62 without any cameo designation.

Here is my indoors picture of the coin, which everybody would have guessed AU-58 if I showed it. It is actually a white coin
    imageimage

It was in a NGC PR62 holder, which I crossed over to PCGS where it stayed in a PR62 holder.

LordM was the first to come up with PR62 and since he is easy to give a prize to, I added this as the Grand Prize (PM me with your address). Even though he had really said 3 different grades, he used his southern style to get around to the correct grade, so he wins metal with a hole in it.

imageimage

Everybody who read Mark's anaylsis wins an education in grading (even though he was off by a point) but he was the only one to find the spot on the reverse.

And for all the others who said PR62 afterwards, you win the knowledge that your grading was right on.

since 8/1/6
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hey! If I'd have known there was a real prize, I'd have made a real guess! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TTT for LordM and coinguy
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Thanks Relayer.
  • Options
    Thanks Relayer.

Thanks also CoinGuy. I appreciate you sharing your thought process. I find that very helpful.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

ARE YOU SAYING I WON SOMETHING?

Holy, er, I mean Holey medals, Batman!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Funny thing, I happened across this thread, opened it to see what the grade was, and scrolled down.

I was gonna compliment you on that sweet medal- love the reverse design!

Are you sayin' that's MY sweet medal? image

Thanks!

Normally I will not do medals on my vest, but I'll happily find a place for that, if you really wanna send it to me.

I thought the prize was nothing. Oh yeah, I guess I got some nothing, too. image

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark-

I thought PR63 in about 5 seconds following your exact line of reasoning. Scary image
  • Options

<< <i>I took this coin and laid it on the ground in the back yard. It's white, not toned. >>

And PCGS slabs are clear.

Which means you have some mighty white-lookin' grass or dirt in your backyard. image

Showin' off the medal on the Darkside- thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file