Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you a Numismatist ?

Since I first heard the word when I started collecting coins,
I assumed "Numismatist" was someone who passed a high
level of coin knowledge.
I just looked in the American Heritage Dictionary 4th Edition;
Numismatist : the study or collection of money, coins, or medals.

Guess that makes everyone here a Numismatist.
Anyone who studies ,and or collects, can proudly wear the badge !

Skipper

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skipper: Yep that's me image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you a Numismatist ? >>

No, I'm just a HepKitty!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an oldmismatist
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    When I was a kid I remember my mother having a box full of old but brilliantly detailed and lustrous coins, some dating back to the early 1800's, all wrapped in tissue or onion paper. I was awed. Years ago when my mom passed away I thought I might retain just one or two of them, more for the sentimental value than anything else, but my elder sibblings took what they figured was rightfully theirs, and I was left with an old "C" note harmonica that my mom played and loved.
    I still have that harmonica, and every once in awhile I play a blues riff on it. And when I see a coin that resembles one of those that I had seen in that box many years ago, I buy it, if and when I can afford it.
    I didn't know what a numismatist was, and maybe I still don't. But, I collect coins.

If you have kids, make a will. It might matter some day.
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm an oldmismatist >>

Started collecting in 1949, so I'm still a NEWmismatist because I love to learn about coins, their history, and whenever I can own some outstanding examples -
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    Great responses (and touching ) but I was expecting
    "We don't need no stinking badges ! "

thanks, Numismatists !

Skipper
  • Options
    Great responses (and touching )

Ah ha! Now I see how it really is,... draw me in for a cliche' punchline. image
  • Options
    NAH! Just a collector of numismatics...image I'd like to be, then I'd know how to make money.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Numismatist, like journalist, is a title that requires no specific qualifications. Anyone can call themselves either, but the real test is whether you can make a career of it. image
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    Someday when I grow up!!!
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    Prometheus, please ! You really need to chill.
    No offense intended and we really are on your side.

Do what I do , sit down with your favorite coin on your left,
    your favorite drink on your right, and your favorite coin magazine
    in front of you and in no time, you'll feel a lot less paranoid .
  • Options
    Newsman, I'm not sure I'm ready to make a career of coins.
    Does this mean I'm not a true numismatist ?
  • Options
    Skipper,
    Sorry if I seemed upset. Not at all, in fact I was making light of it by my response. "Wish I could add voice inflection to this dang text so folks could tell when I'm be'in non-seriousnesslike" image
    Believe me, I'm chillin' with a bourbon n' coke to my left, a computer before me, and a list of wants (coin wise) to the right.

I'd offer you a drink, but I can't throw that far!

Cheers!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I am. I put on my smoking jacket and retire to the sitting room with my antique wood coin box. With a cup of warm sherrie, I pull out all of my well worn and rare reference material and studiously study all coins ALA that guy in the Blue Moon coins photo.

Isn't that a numismatist?

Tyler
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Q David Bowers is a Numismatist. Im sorta a ................................collector

with a broad ,but shallow, general knowledge of coins ,with a nice disposition, trapped in

the body of a bear.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Well, I'm very piggy about my coins. I tend to think of a numismatist as a very studious person, who is glued to their microscope trying to identify which die was used. I just like coins - old ones with dates that begin with 17.
  • Options
    Tyler, I believe American Heritage Dictionary used your picture
    with their definition of Numismatist.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Newsman, I'm not sure I'm ready to make a career of coins.
    Does this mean I'm not a true numismatist ? >>

When I told my father I wanted to be a writer, this is what he said: "There are two kinds of writers -- self-described and self-supporting. Which one are you going to be?" imageimage
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I am. I put on my smoking jacket and retire to the sitting room with my antique wood coin box. With a cup of warm sherrie, I pull out all of my well worn and rare reference material and studiously study all coins ALA that guy in the Blue Moon coins photo.

Isn't that a numismatist?

Tyler >>

What color is your smoking jacket? I use my red jacket when studying early American coppers. I make sure to have my pipe handy and my faithful retriever, Rex, next to me. I prefer cognac to sherry, though.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Yes I am. I put on my smoking jacket and retire to the sitting room with my antique wood coin box. With a cup of warm sherrie, I pull out all of my well worn and rare reference material and studiously study all coins ALA that guy in the Blue Moon coins photo.

Coin Phantasm...Blue moon lured you in to his chambersimage
    YCCTidewater.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file