Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which michael jordan card was his first?

Can anyone tell me which card was produced first(making that to me anyway his "TRUE"rookie),The 85 nike rookie or one of his star rookies.If it was star which one of them were first.To me i can`t beieve the people that paid $36,000 for an 86 fleer.I don`t care if it Was a psa 10 because that as many know is not his real rookie card.I always thought a rookie card was a card that came out when he was a rookie not a card that came 2 years later.Ive heard people explanations before that because the nike and star were promo`s,etc, but should that really mater?The nike and star cards are scarce,while the fleer seems like they made a million.I mean i keep seeing people selling pack`s and pack`s on ebay everyday.

Comments

• Options
    he had numerous Star Co. cards from 84-85 and 85-86, along with the Nike card and this Prism card from 1985

• Options
    The 86 fleer set had lots of 'rookies' of players that weren't really rookie cards, just the first major label card of that player. For example.Michael Jordan, whose real rookie is the 84-85 Star Co. as is Charles Barkley, Hakeem Alajuwan, and John Stockton. Going back even further to 83-84 Star, are the real rookies of Dominique Wilkins, Clyde Drexler, Isiah Thomas and James Worthy. So why people call the 86 card a rookie for a player that's been out several years is beyond me.

The same debate is had with Tiger Woods. You see all sorts of spam on ebay about 2001 UD cards being his "rookie." The guy had been playing for several years on the PGA tour, come on people.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he had numerous Star Co. cards from 84-85 and 85-86, along with the Nike card and this Prism card from 1985

image >>

can you tell me more about that prism card? i like it.

edited to say nevermind.. i found it on ebay..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

what in the world is that shiny prism jordan card????????

it looks like the stickers the doctor used to give me when I got a shot when I was a kid

man that thing is ugly, never seen it and certainly wouldn't think it was a licensed product
  • Options
    I just had to share my story-
    I was looking for a holloween costume and Salvation Army and instead I bought a 1985 Jewel Prism Michael Jordan for $1 cause I thought it looked cool. I then went home and stuck it in my desk drawer. I found it on eBay a couple years later and realized that it was the one I bought for $1. I then sold it to a private collector for $475. By far the best turn around on any card I have ever owned!
    Collecting NBA Top 50 PSA Rookie Cards. Also collecting 1999 Century Legends Autographs.

• Options
    Jordans "unofficial" rookie is his XRC in the 1984/85 Star basketball set. There are other 1985 Star Jordans like the Crunch and Munch, Last 11 ROY's, Miller Lite and Gatorade.

There are still counterfeit Star Jordans showing up on Ebay. 1986 Crunch and Munch cards, a 1986 Bulls Team set and a few others that were never produced in the 80's.

There is also a white bordered Jordan XRC floating around. Stick to the real deal.
  • Options
    What does stick to the real deal mean?If your talking about the 86 fleer forget it.I don`t care what anyone says i`d rather be holding his star #101 or his 85 nike which i have both,lol.Didnt pay for either as ive had them since they cameout and are both still sealed so i KNOW mine are the REAL DEAL and hopefully within the next ten years or so i can sell them for a TON of money lol.
  • Options
    Unless you bought them in 1985 they might be fake. Last year I bought some sealed NIKE packs off Ebay. Sure enough, sent them to PSA and they were fake. Also, the Star Co. sets were reprinted after the years they came out including being sealed in the bags. As far as I know it's nearly impossible to tell the Star fakes from the originals as I believe they were printed off the same presses, only years apart.

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    If you use the Beckett definition, which most people do, a player's rookie card is the first MAINSTREAM base card of a player. It has nothing to do with a player's rookie year, and is often issued several years after player's "first card," during which time many oddball sets can be issued. By this definition, the 1986 Fleer is Jordan's only RC. That said, Beckett's definition is obviously not the only valid definition out there, and collect what you like image.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    By sticking to the real deal, I meant either his Nike Rc, his red bordered Star rookie or his '86 Fleer rookie. The white bordered 1984/85 Jordan rookie is virtually worthless. I've seen it sell on Ebay many times for $80-100+.

Many of Jordan's Star cards were not reprinted. The 5x7's, the Miller Lite Jordan, the 1986 Court Kings, etc.

The only Jordan's I know of that were counterfeited were his XRC rookie, his 85/86 regular issue card, and his Best of the New and Best of the Best card.

The two pre eminent experts of Star basketball, Steve Taft and Todd Crosner, still grade Jordan rookies for SCD authentic. That's the best way to buy Star Jordan's IMO.
  • Options
    I have both the 85 nike and the star#101 both still in sealed sets.These i know are the real deal because i personally got these thought the promotions when they were released and at one time almost traded the two sets for a rookie ryan sandburg (cubs second babseman)because at the time i was only 14 and followed the cubs and really didnt know who jordan was and thought the sandburg rookie would fetch alot of dough down the line.Whew,i`m glad the trade never happened because i believe and really hope these two sets will become worth a ton down the road.Bye the way i had a friend that had a 86 fleer rookie years ago and i recall him saying m.j autograped it for him at a home bulls game in 88.Does anyone know or heard or seen this card autoed in a psa holder?What would that be worth?
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    thecardkid - I agree with you about buying SCD Star cards but unfortunatly the fact that SCD authentic grades them has not helped their sales any.

When you say the 84-85 card #101 card has been counterfeited, do you mean reprinted with the original sheets?

Also, I believe that Taft and Crosner do not grade the Star Company cards but that they do "authenticate" them.
  • Options
    I haven't kept up with Star basketball like I use to, so I'm not 100% sure if the Jordan XRC was reprinted from the original sheets or not. But there are 3rd party counterfeit versions of the card floating around.

Also, I meant to say Crosner and Taft authentic Star cards, I don't believe they are on site graders (with SCD Authentic in Wi and Crosner and Taft in Southern California).

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Since we're on the topic of Jordan's Star card, I saw this auction for
    a 1984-85 Star Michael Jordan Rookie Card, #101 with an opeing
    bid of $899.00.

1984-85 Star NBA #101 Michael Jordan RC $3000

Seller guarantees the authenticity of the card and even a full money
    back refund.

By the way, what makes something counterfeit? The dictionary defines
    counterfeit as, "made in imitation of something else with intent to
    deceive." If those Jordan's were printed from the original press plates
    by the same company, does mere passage of time make them
    counterfeit?

By the way, I would go for the 1985 Nike Jordan. It has the most eye
    appeal. Here is a link to a BGS 9.5 one that sold for $682.00.

1985 Nike Michael Jordan BGS 9.5
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    TheCard - SCD no longer grades cards as of a month ago (according to Mike Baker of GAI). I don't know whether they still authenticate Star cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.