Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this 16-D an early copy?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
1916-D ebay link

This thing simply looks wrong! Opinions?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    What a strange looking copy. People are bidding on it too, why? It looks a bit like a Wingedliberty dime, but if you have seen a real one, you can tell this is a copy in a second.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Is that a coaster?
  • Options
    What a horrid monstrosity. I would think that if you'd ever seen any Merc, you would know this was a fake.

Yikes, I've got to go take a shower and flush my eyeballs now. Blecccccch!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If that is real, it has to be the sharpest strike in history.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.T. Barnum is laughing in hell.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    thats got to be the fakeiest fake i've ever seen!image yuk ptooey spit spit!
  • Options
    image Very nice silver round. It should have a COPY stamp on it, like from the Gallery Mint.
    What a crock of bovine waste. , and I am sure the third party graders see this come in every day and laugh.
  • Options

<< <i>If that is real, it has to be the sharpest strike in history. >>

I'm with you, however, I'd be more comfortable if I could see the split in the middle bands. image
    David
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the looks of it, it may be plastic
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Who the heck has bid this thing up to $305.00? image
  • Options
    I like the part where they say "CLEAN LIKE NEW". This is definitely a good selling point!
  • Options
    This is a shame because someone will end up getting ripped off on one of the ugliest copies ever made. Upon taking a closer look, I don't even think the coin has reeding.
  • Options
    OK, so I may be the new kid on the block, but I couldn't pass it by. I grew a pair and sent "the" question.
    Now only time will tell if I get a response or not. Sorry, I had to do it.

Edit: to reitterate on what matto said: Once upon a time, i was the someone who got screwed on such a deal. I detest this.
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    There appears to be seam on the reverse at 8 o'clock. May be an electrolyte copy.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tony,

Trust your instincts. This is a bad copy and will only fool a newby. The lettering is spaced way to far away from the rim, the fasces looks too fat and short, and the bust of liberty is just wrong. Warning, warning Will Robinson........

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    So has anyone notified eBay about this fake!
    He has revised his listing to say this: THE COIN WHIGHT ABOUT AVAREGE 40 GRAMS AND SIZE ABOUT I CAN SAY SOMETHING LIKE 7sm ROUND (I AM SELLING THIS COIN WITH NO RETURN)image
    Glenn

Seller is from Tel-Aviv, Israel
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    as you know, "copy" need be on only 1 side of a replica, & you have your choice. i've seen where someone took to replicas, each w/ "copy" on a different sides, shaved off the "copy" side, then weldd the 2 "un-copied" halves back together.

betcha that coin has a seam on the edge. image

K S
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck is wrong with the bidders on this thing ? Just plain stupid it appears. Oh yea the seller appears to be miissing a cell or two also.

imageimage

Ken
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    what bothers me is the appearence of what seems to be whizzed, making one feel its real, but its a whizzed fake. I had 3 coins, a morgan, kennedy half, and a washington qtr that had ended up in a sulferous pile somehow image

anyway, one side of each has wild tonning, other side had this thick white gunk, so I whizzed the white off...and low and behold, looks like that coin, only the 3 I have are real.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    NOT TO MENTION ITS HOME IS ISREAL AT THE MOMENT

boy what else do these clowns need

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Is it a fake? Well he says it weighs 40 grams (about 1 1/2 standard ounces) and 7sm round (Probably a typo for 7 cm). If he means 7 cm around then it is almost a inch in diameter. If he means 7 cm across then it is 2 3/4 inches in diameter! In other words this is most likely one of those pot metal coasters at $305 with no return privilege.

What a group of suckers (I admit no one has bid since he added the information about the weight and size, but that "coin" is obviously a fake anyway. Profile is wrong, lettering font is wrong, font size is wrong, spacing to the rim is wrong etc.)
  • Options
    I used to have an 1877 Indian cent coaster like that. Hmm. Wish I still had it. I could use some cash. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭
    "THIS COIN IS A GARANTEED 1916-D DIME IT IS A REAL COIN" "NOTE;(I AM SELLING THIS COIN WITH NO RETURN)"

So just what exactly do I do with the guarantee if there is no return? image (Be nice!)

Joe.
  • Options
    i have one here, its 3 inches and same dam thing as his: judge for yourself:

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

only difference is he roughed his up and whizzed them...you wanna buy this wonder outta isreal then be my guest image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭
    pontiacinf, Sorry , I would go AU but with the obvious loss of luster on that thing I can only go as high as EF+. image

Joe.
  • Options
    Rob I have the 1877 3 incher if you want it..the whole set is taking up space here.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    LOL Joe

Mine seem to be luster impaired image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I have the hope/feeling that some bids might be retracted.
  • Options
    I emailed the high bidder a link to this thread. I hope he sees it!
    Glenn
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I was at this little gift shop in Ohio and they had about 10 different reproduction coin coasters like this. All were reproductions of the rare dates. I'm sure they had a 1916-D dime just like this for $1.99. I could have bought the bunch to sell on ebay image
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    All you need to know is:

"THIS COIN IS A GARANTEED 1916-D DIME IT IS A REAL COIN AND COMPLITE NEW"
    "I AM SELLING THIS COIN WITH NO RETURN"
  • Options
    one should be able to sue on that note alone

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Rob I have the 1877 3 incher if you want it..the whole set is taking up space here. >>

Whaaat? You'd give up your potential Sleazebay profits? image

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is NOT a real 1916-D dime, and this auction is fraudulent. You have been reported to eBay for this scam. I would suggest you shut down your auction NOW before eBay does it for you.

Russ >>

Sometimes that works with these crooks.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    It's 7sm round. It's a really big one, a rare wrong planchet, wrong die error.

Hey that's an idea. Sell a 2002 cent as a dime struck on the cent planchet with cent dies.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file