Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

best to collect??

Which coins to you think are the best to collect?? i want to collect coins that arent to expensive but will also have some value. right now i have pennies but they dont seem to be worth it even if they were in good condition. so what do you think???

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    There is only one right answer. Mercury Dimes.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    >Which coins to you think are the best to collect??

The ones that you enjoy the most.

>i want to collect coins that arent to expensive but will also have some value

Odds are that if it is <$500 in cost it will only keep with inflation -- maybe.

> so what do you think???

Collect the ones you enjoy the most with money you can afford to lose. Then enjoy it to the max and let the value part take care of itself. You might get lucky, might not. Odds are about the same as a lottery.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I think the American Silver Eagle is a nice in-expensive coin to collect....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Whatever you like. But don't overlook Tokens and Foreign coins, they are pretty & inexpensive!
    And image to the boards.
    Glenn
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Lucy,

Good idea keep them away from the Frankies and Mercs!image

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bald head guy and some broad with a wing on her head......they suck. Shriver coins are better looking.

Edit to add: Darn it...... Welcome to this place and enjoy.

Ken
  • Options
    What Lucy said............
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    High-grade non-FS Jeffersons are overlooked and underpriced and Jeff proofs are not outrageous, a good value with potential appreciation ... image
  • Options
    image to the boards fellow newbe... image

I've sent you a PM with my take on things to collect...
  • Options
    Quarters and Roosies. You can get some great deals and high grades for cheap.

I like old stuff, so I would go with what tlhoy said - tokens are great! Hard Times Tokens and Civil War Tokens can be had fairly inexpensively and they are very cool.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most will argue that you should pick a series that YOU enjoy, but I would have to disagree with that faulty reasoning.

Truly the only series that really brings satisfaction and joy upon completing are the Barber halves. Sure, you could divert your time and money into less satisfying coin series, but think of the deep regret when you come to your senses!

I guess the only right answer here would have to be the Barber half dollars. image

Tyler
  • Options
    As I said in another post; go after what pleases you the most. Being a newbie myself, i started out collecting coins the were going to produce a profit, reguardless of condition or even type. Even though only about a year has gone by, i have completeley dropped that strategy and if i see a coin i like, and i have the funds, i buy it reguardless of price or type. For all i know, the majority of my coins could be worth 50% less that what i paid fer them. But that doesn't bother me because if i wanted money i could just spend the time spent collecting, working. But instead i have a decent collection which i am proud of and each coin i know i have purchased because of the beauty of it and most certainly not beause of monitary value. Buy what you like because as the years go by, you'll be the one enjoying that beautiful piece of metal in the palm of you hand(with white golves on of curse
  • Options
    I started with Silver Eagles and then started going wild.
    Beware if you find the Registry you will get addicted!
    Sorry should have said welcome image
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Do some research on the coins you have and see which ones have climbed in value. If you have good semi key or key dates keep them. You can always use the lesser valued coins or lower grade coins to upgrade a key date or get a coin you like better in higher grade. I think it's a good idea (if you have common dates) to get those in higher grades so you have a better chance of gaining value to your collection. Good Lincoln cent keys that are resonable to purchase: 1912D 1922 D, 1924 D, 1931s. The higher priced 1909 s and 1914 D are steadily climbing to $200.00 in lower grades. The main thing is to enjoy your collection. You'll want to keep changing your collection to obtain better coins. Just have fun with it.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which series or coins you picks depends very much on your budget. If you have $50 per year to spend on coins your choices are obviously much more limited than if you intend to spend $50,000 per year on coins.

Borrow some books about the various coin series you can afford. If the book on a particular series does not put you to sleep, that is a good starting point. Whatever you choose, buy coins that are nice for the grade with good eye appeal.

Finally, don't buy coins solely with the idea of turning a quick profit. You will likely fail and quickly get discouraged. Instead, have fun.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most will argue that you should pick a series that YOU enjoy, but I would have to disagree with that faulty reasoning.

Truly the only series that really brings satisfaction and joy upon completing are the Barber halves. Sure, you could divert your time and money into less satisfying coin series, but think of the deep regret when you come to your senses!

I guess the only right answer here would have to be the Barber half dollars. image

Tyler >>

Now this guy has the right idea. If you really want to enjoy the hobby and maybe
    make some money down the road your only real choice is Barber halfs er... ah... I
    mean clad quarters. Just about everything has someone who thinks it's the best.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Collecting something you don't enjoy is ALWAYS too expensive.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which coins to you think are the best to collect?? >>

Anything that I'm not collecting. I don't need any more competition image.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    pick any of the seated series in VG.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>Which series or coins you picks depends very much on your budget. If you have $50 per year to spend on coins your choices are obviously much more limited than if you intend to spend $50,000 per year on coins.

Borrow some books about the various coin series you can afford. If the book on a particular series does not put you to sleep, that is a good starting point. Whatever you choose, buy coins that are nice for the grade with good eye appeal.

Finally, don't buy coins solely with the idea of turning a quick profit. You will likely fail and quickly get discouraged. Instead, have fun. >>

Best answer I've seen so far RYK!image But it doesn't surprize me since your from my home town!image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Always collect what you like...

Like Lucy said ASE's are very impressive, and make a wonderful collection for not alot of money. Don't get hung up on ultra high grades though, they are way over priced.

Frankies are really nice too, and if you don't mind not having Full Bell Lines, you can assemble a beautiful set for not alot of money. Lucy's a sure bet to help you there.

There's some discussion that with the new nickel (s) coming out, the earlier Jefferson's are a good bet. Full step versions are not for the faint of heart.

Mercury/ Liberty Head Dimes are worth looking into as well, a beautiful coin and if non SB (split bands) are okay with you , it'll be a collection which will give you alot of pride of accomplishment... start out with the short set first ( 1934 - 1945 ), as the earlier dates are killers.

Regardless of which series you collect, buy the book FIRST before you spend one red cent on anything.

Welcome to the Boards...have fun...its a great place to pick up information.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file