Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just another SAE Question

I am a Silver Eagle junkie & found 2 ICG 04' MS70's. Just got them today & I'm confused? I just sent back a "Mint Roll" because of a flaw on the sun. The Dealer advertised "Brilliant Gem Uncirculated" & thats what I expected....Well, these 2 MS 70's both have that same flaw; One is hardly detectable but the other is easy to see. Can this Flaw on the sun exist & still have the MS70 "perfect coin" grading?
Any & All thanks
Jack

Comments

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    ms70 is with no flaws.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    A minor luster break on the sun is common and doesn't hurt the grade from my experience.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    ICG is much less strict in giving out MS70's than PCGS. That is why PCGS is a better grading company and the coins in PCGS holders generally trade for more than in ICG holders.
  • Options
    Does the definition of flaw, include die erosion or other die defects? Like, could a modern with a die crack be graded MS70? I mean, it could defined as "Right off the press" it looked that way, so it is perfect...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I have a question too. Please please answer. I just bought a roll of "brilliant uncirculated" 1998 SAEs, but I see that in 2 of the coins, their outer rim has some black tarnish. How can a BU get tarnished like this ? I think I was taken for a ride by the seller. He may have been rubbing the coin against his butt. The truth still is he didn't circulate it. Also on the face along the inner rim, there is an even yellow toning/tarnish (in the inner periphery).

What should I do ?

• Options

<< <i>I have a question too. Please please answer. I just bought a roll of "brilliant uncirculated" 1998 SAEs, but I see that in 2 of the coins, their outer rim has some black tarnish. How can a BU get tarnished like this ? I think I was taken for a ride by the seller. He may have been rubbing the coin against his butt. The truth still is he didn't circulate it. Also on the face along the inner rim, there is an even yellow toning/tarnish (in the inner periphery).

What should I do ? >>

Hope and pray for it to turn into a beautiful lightly gold or multicolored toned coin.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Technically, SAEs do not circulate. I would see what the return policy of the seller is and communicate my concerns over my purchase and see what happens. It is a valuable lesson to always check the return policy before purchasing coins.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options

<< <i>I am a Silver Eagle junkie & found 2 ICG 04' MS70's. Just got them today & I'm confused? I just sent back a "Mint Roll" because of a flaw on the sun. The Dealer advertised "Brilliant Gem Uncirculated" & thats what I expected....Well, these 2 MS 70's both have that same flaw; One is hardly detectable but the other is easy to see. Can this Flaw on the sun exist & still have the MS70 "perfect coin" grading?
    Any & All thanks >>

This is common on a lot of years. I first noticed the sun spots in 2003, but they go back further when I took a loop to my PCGS ms69 set. Search for prior threads on sunspots.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    ICG is known for being loose on moderns. As for 70s, the PCGS standard says they should be defect free at 5x mag.
  • Options
    The way the first batch is and looking at mine, PCGS would probably give it a 69 and try to get you to join or renew the gold or platinum membership and throw it in on the package. image

All 5 rolls I have exhibit the same spot as were the 2003's. There were several articles about the dies in Coin World and a few others.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options

<< <i>ICG is known for being loose on moderns. As for 70s, the PCGS standard says they should be defect free at 5x mag. >>

I have never seen a PCGS MS70 ASE for sale. Has anyone? I know this standard is no where near true for a PCGS MS 69 set.................. I have a complete set to prove it. You can see spots, scrapes, etc. @5x and some with out any loop what so ever. To me the most amazing difference is between looking at my MS69 1986 and my MS69 2003 (I have not received my 2004 purchases in MS69 as of yet.)

They don't even look like the same coin@5X. The 1986 is a very weak strike compared to the 2003. But the spots on the 1999 could be seen from across the room!image

edit bad spelling again!
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    I've also read articles about the continuing problem of the
    "bump on the sun" on Silver Eagles.
    Since this is a noticeable flaw, I'm at a loss why the Mint will
    not fix it ! It couldn't be that difficult or expensive.
  • Options

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    jasbucksjasbucks Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone; I really appreciate all the information. I have heard of NGC 70's but no PCGS's & I wonder if they too have the sun spots. Well, Should I send them back; One for sure but I might gamble with the other. I understand the 04' 70's are few and far between. I think I might check into the ICG guarantee a bit further. How does the practical coin world work, for example, I have an ICG MS70, sell it to Joe Schmo & Joe sends it to NGC or PCGS for cuz that's what Joe always does & it comes back graded MS69. The sale price is adjusted. It's clear what it sold for as MS70 and MS69 at a lower price. Does the MS70Grader pay something to someone or do they just loose credibility as a Grading service.

Jack
    Jack
  • Options
    Could the sun spots be considered a variety? image

Maybe the mint doesn't want to fix it just to mess with us...
  • Options
    Avalde - the SAE's tend to tone or tarnish, if you will, much more quickly than a 90% silver coin (pre 1965). All it takes is some small contaminant to start the process. Occasionally the toning will look great, but it's more likely it will be an ugly brown/goldish color. I have a few like this.
  • Options

<< <i>Avalde - the SAE's tend to tone or tarnish, if you will, much more quickly than a 90% silver coin (pre 1965). All it takes is some small contaminant to start the process. Occasionally the toning will look great, but it's more likely it will be an ugly brown/goldish color. I have a few like this. >>

That's comforting image Thanks !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file