Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who do you still have alot of $$ invested in and are still hoping the guy comes through so you can c

I know there are alot of bulk buyers on these boards, so I thought this would be a great question. I have a few players that I am into a lot of money with and some still have time, and some look to be running out of time for me.

I have about 25-30 Jorge Padilla ( Phillies ) autographed rookies - Time may be running out by next year.

A few BGS 9.5 '02 Bowman Chrome Jesus Cota's, 3 Topps Chrome Refractors, and 2 Black Refractors - Still young, has potential.

10 '02 Finest Nic Jackson ( Cubs )RC - recently decided that he has no shot on this team and time HAS run out.

12 '02 SP Bill Hall ( Brewers ) Auto RC - small investment, but I plan on dumping them if he has even one hot week.

A ton of David Garrard rookies. Auto rookies, low print runs, gold refractors, Prime Cuts Auto/5, etc.. - my largest investment by far. If this guy gets a shot to start on another team, he will be great and I should be able to cash in. I hope he doesn't sit on the bench in Jacksonville too long...

I am sure these lots I own are very small to some of the other collectors on this board, so I would really be interested to here from some of you about who you are sitting on still after a pretty good investment. Holding your breath...waiting for that first Major League homer so you can cash in and get out with a decent profit!

I'm sure most of the replies will be large quantities of Bowman Chrome rookies from any given year, but that is just as interesting to here. Anyone have a ton of Joe Thurston they are waiting to unload? Maybe a bunch of Victor Martinez? Or maybe you are still hoping that Brandon Larson of the Reds can get one more shot before you give up? Lots of $$$ tied up in Laynce Nix anyone?

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    funny you mention Nix, whose best card if the 02 topps heritage...no chrome, no UD, no donruss
    here. If this guy pans out this card represets the good old days of cardboard.

I never hold on to anyone one player for too long, once hype hits they are gone, I am
    waiting for a certain Cardnials pitcher to make a comeback to the bigs, if he can control
    himself!

JS
  • Options
    There is NO human being alive that wishes Jeremy Shockey total health and a long and super productive career more than myself. That includes Shockey, his mom, his Priest or Pastor, any one. My dream is watching him receiving the Super Bowl MVP trophy as I look at my kids fully funded college 529 statements. The sad part is I'm not exaggerating all that much.

Thanks for bringing this up,
    Ed

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    Ken Griffey Jr.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I have a ton of old 1988 Topps football.... so it would be nice if Vinnie Testeverde could pull out a last second miracle ..... or who knows maybe Bo Jackson could come back. I also have about 50 Steve Beuerlein RC's from 89 so let's throw him in the hopeful mix too.

Not really sure I would call this my hopeful lot anymore.... but I do remember getting high hopes on Beuerlein doing something about 4 different times.

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Chris Snelling, Rene Reyes...

Hoping that Cole Hamels has a similar yaer in Clearwater as he did in Lakewood... have 2 PSA 10 Gold refs, 2 PSA 9 Gold refs, numerous PSA 10 and 9 regular refractors...
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • Options
    Hey Jeff, I am quite sure that you are not the only one hoping that Cole Hamels has a good year this year. I have a really good friend that is hoping the same thing. I think you know him pretty well too. He's a MODERN COLLECTOR. Good luck on the Hamels. I hope you can cash in one day.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I'm still holding out for caron butler
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    This is a great topic, Wayne...really great.

Hmmm....this post could almost have been written with me in mind.......
  • Options
    Yeah Beachbum, you are right. Actually I just like to hear some honest stuff, rather than hearing that everyone is making money all the time. No bad investments, no overpaying, etc.. Looks good so far. I am also sitting on a bunch of stuff that I need to take off one day so I can get back some of the $$$ and buy other cards I want with it.

Plus, it's always a great feeling to know that you picked some winners after they make it.

TheRoach

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    dude I'm sittin on stuff that time has ALREADY RAN OUT and im stuck with it.. heh.. errr NATRONE MEANS..
    I also have a &*)%load of sweet JAMES STEWART cards (the running back that started with the Jacksonville Jaguars.. dude I was buyin em up everywhere in 95 & 96.. got a 2 row shoebox full of his insert cards and Natrone Means..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I have dozens of the following:

1988 Topps Traded Jim Abbott
    1988 Fleer Tom Glavine
    1987 Donruss Kevin Brown
    1987 David Cone rookies (all issues)
    1987 Donruss Ruben Sierra
    1989 UD Gary Sheffield
    1983 Topps Wade Boggs
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    One name-- Mike Aldrete.
  • Options
    I would like to preface this post by telling you all that the cards listed below all met the trashcan about 2 years ago when I stumbled upon them.

1989 UD Ramon Martinez Qty (1000)
    1990 UD Dave Hansen Qty (2500)
    1990 UD Jose Vizcaino Qty (2500)
    1990 UD Darrin Fletcher Qty (2500)

-H
  • Options
    PatPat Posts: 14 ✭✭
    JOSH HAMILTON
    Patrick Lee Smith
  • Options
    Guys like TEMPURA will make those 80's and 90's cards more rare and eventually even cause a price boom.

Had you known about Ydsotter earlier, I am sure you would have donated it all to him since he uses them to promote the hobby to his students.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eddie George and Steve McNair!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've waiting for the Grady Sizemore market to top out, he's my last major investment. I'm not heavily into rookies anymore, and I was able to get out of most at a good time. I've still got more David Espinosa rookies than I'd care to, and I waited too long to flip my Orlando Hudson Elite RC. If anyone needs Travis Wilson rookies, let me know, and I keep my Rick Asadoorian collection in a binder. And I've got a ton of 99 Bowman Chrome rookies that I opened by the pack back when. I actually never pulled a Soriano, but I've got lots of nice names like Erubiel Durazo, Willi Mo Pena, Felipe Lopez, and Corey Patterson from when packs were $3, but for some reason I hesitated on selling in the first big wave. I should maybe just get them graded but even BGS 9.5s aren't selling for very much anymore.

Laynce Nix was my last real score. I was into him since Topps 206 came out, and dumped him around mid-July when it looked like he was about to be called up. I never got too heavily into his Heritage card, I only ever owned 3 of them. But at one point I had about 30 of his Topps 206 card, several of his Polar Bears, and 2 Cycles (or whatever the rare mini parallel was), and they were sweet. Easier to find than the Heritages, not so condition sensitive, and cheap. I would be surprised if I had more than a 75 cents in each card, but I was able to sell the regular cards for $4-5 each and one of the Cycle backs for $20. Kept the other one, though.

Most of my profit from buying and selling comes from lucky finds at the local show. It's been a while, but the last big one I got was a Sandy Koufax Sweet Spot auto for $80. I love owning it, and it's comforting to know it's an easy $150 sitting in my closet whenever I need it.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Travis Lee
  • Options
    anyone want to buy some brien taylor classic inserts???? he was supposed to be the next roger clemens...even got the million dollar minor league signing bonus.....if i can sell you some of those i'll also give you a great deal on the upper deck todd van poppel prospects!!!
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    duplicate
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    Joe Carboneau
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    I have a bulk lot of 1987 Topps Tracy Jones I heard his cards were very short printed in relation to the rest of the set (LOL). Also bought Eric Karros rookies in '91.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going....Pete Incaviglia

Going.....Jay Buhner

Gone!....Brien Taylor

Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    All the Yankee fans knew about Brien Taylor. What a bust.

Ruben Rivera--a big bust

• Options
    Danny Ferry Skybox rookie!!

Todd Van Poppel

Glen Davis

Ricky Jordan

No more rookies for me!
  • Options
    I've got a pile of 1993 Bowman Andy Pettitte's in PSA 9 and 10. Despite his post-season heroics in recent years, they still aren't climbing much in book or market value.

I've given up on my Jack McDowell, Teddy Higuera, Ken Hill and Jaime Navarro "investments" . . . I don't know what it is about me and pitchers . . .

POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Options
    Nomar Garciaparra
  • Options

<< <i>Danny Ferry Skybox rookie!!! >>

ugh. thats all i can say
  • Options
    I did lose alot on that damn Danny Ferry Skybox also. That could have been drinking $$. Those Series II rookies were really cool when they first came out. State of the art at the time. I still wouldn't mind owning a BGS 9.5 Gary Payton RC.

Someone mentioned Ricky Jordan. Boy, I started collecting in 1989 so this guy sticks out. I can't believe I forgot about him. I opened tons of '89 Fleer looking for him, Sheffield, and Greg Vaughn I believe.

I also remember chasing after the '89 Upper Deck High Number Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith that year. I live in Chicago so I was paying a premium. He was the craze here that year. The Jim Abbott from the same set was also another craze.

TheRoach

• Options
    Bobby Witt. How about that name?
  • Options
    Chris Weinke, Bonzi Wells, Bo Kimble, Kevin Stocker, Chris Jackson, Kevin Mench, too many others to mention.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    rick xtc ankiel
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

Interesting Post

Mine are older than most here

I still have a shot on most to at least break even.

1988 Donruss Damon Berryhill 500 (Gone)
    1983 Topps Tony Gwynn 50-60 (waiting on the hall)
    1983 Topps Wade Boggs 50-60 (same as above)
    1987 Donruss Kevin Brown 300 (fingers still crossed)
    1987 Donruss Greg Maddux 300 (One more killer year)
    1989 Upper Deck Randy Johnson 500 (high end cards that have been pulling all 9's or 10's when submitted)
    1991 Topps Chipper Jones 1000 (same comment as above as far as grading)
    1993 Upper Deck Mark Brunell 70 (Sure hope he goes to a contender,and I live near Jax!!)
    1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars Fred Taylor 200 (Jax must produce,or trade him.These are my best shot at big bucks)

I pretty much quit with large quantities of rookies after that.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.