What is your opinion of this Mass. cent

What do you think as far as grade and value? Thanks, Brett

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Hockeyman.
  • Options
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Sorry can't give a grade nor a value, however, I like it a bunch.
  • Options
    Traditionally this coin might have been called VF30 or so and I would guess thats how it was purchased when raw.

I'd say its worth $450.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it too... It could go as high as VF35. As for value? Hard to tell because it is a quality coin for the grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks for the opinions. Do you guys think it's been messed with?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first instinct was Fine, but then I adjusted my opinion, because stuff from that era often seems to grade one grade higher than I would grade a modern coin with a similar appearance, obviously. So I ended up saying VF to myself.

Had a supposed "friend" offer me a fake recently- this is a guy I used to go detecting with, and he claimed he dug it. I said, "Well, maybe you dug it, but it's fake". He was offended. I learned long ago the guy was a BS artist. He should have known better than to try me with a fake coin, though. It wasn't a crummy cast fake, however. The only thing that clued me in was that the lettering was "off".

Too bad he wasn't offering to sell me something that looked more like the one above.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    to me, it grades at best, just barely, vf-20. i would have said "fine plus", but the coin is beautifully centered, the planchet is excellent & has developed outstanding wood-grain toning. so really, it's a fine-15 that is +++ for positive attributes, so i would value it as a vf-20. i'd buy it at $300 - 350. i'm saying this, becuase that's what i've actually paid for similarly nice coins. these are not rare by any means, & w/ patience, you can cherry pick it.

K S
  • Options
    Thanks Karl, this is in a PCGS EF40 holder and the asking price is $849. I believe I'll pass on this one.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    $849???

??? ??? ???

then i looked at the name on the digi-pic - no danged wonder. you won't get much in the way of bargains from northeast numismatics. call me crazy, but it just seems like 95% of their colonials in plastic are overgraded by a full grade.

just more evidence heaped on a pile of evidence that pcgs & ngc are THE WORST at grading colonials. image

K S
  • Options
    Ryder 10-L, a R-1 variety. VF 35 with very nice color and surfaces. It's a very nice, no problem coin. Value? It's what buyer and seller agree upon. I know that's a cop out answer, but I just don't do pricing. PM me and I'll put you in touch with a top flight colonial dealer that would be best equiped to answer that question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file