Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare,Historical,High Grade U.S. Coin ... always trades in a thin market!

NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
Neat coin and issue if you ask me. None are killer attractive nor graded higher than this coin (PR. 64) at PCGS. Most have been dipped/cleaned. This is the only coin still accompanied by the original letter with only two letters known. What do you folks think? This is a coin I'm thinking of selling to buy something else. All opinions welcome.Transcript of letter...

Mr. Edward L. Caum
Dear Sir,
The Cook Sesquicentennial Commission recognizing the valuable service you rendered in making the Sesquicentennial observance a success, hereby in the name of the Territtory of Hawaii presents you with this token, a sandblast proof Hawaiian Half-Dollar, #48, of a total issue of fifty, prepared as a memento of one of the historical occasions of the Hawaiian Islands.

K

Comments

• Options
    If you choosse to sell it the auction route would be the best venue. Choose an auction house that would properly highlight the coin's attributes. If it were me, I would choose ANR or Stack's.
  • Options
    Nic, do you KNOW that this particular letter goes with this particular coin? Or, might they have been "mixed and matched"? That would make a difference to me, at least.

Is the item you are considering buying as neat or neater than this one?

Which would you get more enjoyment from?

Answer these questions and you will hopefully have a definitive answer regarding what direction to take, if not the meaning of life, itselfimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin, but not "historical". Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing. I like proof commems, and I even have a PR 63 in stock. But it's just a commem. It's about history, not part of history. Just one of my pet peeves...

Anyway, all that said, how much is it? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Andy, Would this coin be a part of history or about history? Trying to understand. We all have pet peeves.image.K

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a strike....no, let me rephrase that....WHAT A STRIKE! image
  • Options
    Would this coin be a part of history or about history?

You're getting warmer.... image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Now thems ,some high power coins.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Yes, nice strike. It's a proof! image. K
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Nic

if you guess something like a 1943 Lincoln Cent you'd be on fire!!

nice coin, but i would wonder why there are only two of the original 50 letters still believed to exist. just from a human nature aspect, someone who dedicates themselves to an event such as this to the degree that would earn recognition in the form of the coin and the letter strikes me as the type of personality that would keep the letter as a momento. further, do the researchers who make the statement with only two letters known even know where the other 49 coins are??

al h.image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin is raw I suspect Stack's would be the way to go.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Hey Keets...long time no chat! I guess it is like original coin/commem holders in general. Few original 5 coin commem issues remain; less every year like original double mint sets. The holders, letters, documentation seem to disappear with time and relatives! This coin and letter trace to the original roster of 50 recipients as published in The Numismatist in 1928. Well researched since made. Only two letters still found.The other coin (unknown location?) was separated from letter....documented. I think its cool. I think original mint sets, commem holders, and counter-stamps are cool as well image. K
  • Options
    Nic, as Ralph Kramdon would say about those two! HAMMINA HAMMINA HAMMINA!!!!
    They are drop dead beautiful!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Keets...long time no chat! I guess it is like original coin/commem holders in general. Few original 5 coin commem issues remain; less every year like original double mint sets. The holders, letters, documentation seem to disappear with time and relatives! This coin and letter trace to the original roster of 50 recipients as published in The Numismatist in 1928. Well researched since made. Only two letters still found.The other coin (unknown location?) was separated from letter....documented. I think its cool. I think original mint sets, commem holders, and counter-stamps are cool as well image. K >>

Yea, verily.

It's a shame that so many auction houses and coin sellers used to throw away documentation, holders, and all the paraphernalia that came with such coins. I especially like the Pan Pac holders, but there are some great extras that deserve an extra look before a bid. The extras mean something to me, at least. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Nic....I was wondering, is this the coin that was in a major auction within the last three years? I believe it was accompanied by the original box, numerous papers, and something else.

I also collect original holders for commems. Have several for the Pan Pac, including the original frame, 5 pc box (with outter box), 4 pc box (with outter box), three pc box, and all the envelopes.

I just puchased a brochure for the 1903 La Purchase gold dollar in the last Stack's auction. Really neat.

Sorry...sometimes I ramble....

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    njcoincrank.... no, not the same coin etc. No documented original holders exist though several are claimed. I know the piece and memorabilia you are thinking of. K
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of original holders, has anyone else here heard the story (a true story, even!) about the double Pan-Pac box that was found in H.O. Granberg's house in Wisconsin, hidden in the basement (or attic?) rafters? The home was bought by a numismatist in modern times who knew PRECISELY what he had found and who it had belonged to.

Granberg was a famous collector of the era -- he incidentally sold many of his coins in a 1915 auction, and several of his star pieces were displayed at the ANS Exhibition of 1914.

Provenance: does it make a coin more historical? Huh, Andy??
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nic,

Is your 1794 $ ex Bass?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    yes
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC MS61... one of the best struck examples in existance!
  • Options
    Hey, this is a PR. Haw. commem/ original documents etc. post. See what I mean about a thin market? image. K
  • Options
    ttt.... anyone else have an opinion? I apologize for trying to limit the thread image. K
  • Options
    is this the coin that was in a major auction within the last three years? I believe it was accompanied by the original box, numerous papers, and something else.

Crank - B&M offered one in Baltimore in (I believe) December, 2003. The lot contained original sketches by the designer and a Wedgewood plaque depicting Captain Cook. I don't recall if the lot included the letter, but I doubt it.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Provenance: does it make a coin more historical? Huh, Andy??

John - Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the provenance and the coin.
    Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file