Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fathers who collect or passed collections to sons

Hey all-

I am writing a story for a magazine about sons who had their collections passed down from their dads or who collect with their dads. If this fits you, please e-mail me as I would like to interview you for the story.

Keith

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I am collecting for my son. Not sure you can use that but check out my website.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • My Dad passed down his cards to me. He had a ton of 1958s 59, 60s and 64s and a few (under 20) of 55, 56, 57s.

He gave me all his cards except for his 1956 Mickey Mantle. He kept that. We went to many shows together in the late 80s and he helped me in my first set 1987 Topps. After Dad passed away, I looked long and hard for that 56 Mantle, but I have not found it yet.....
  • Oh yeah.....in his cards he passed down to me, were 4 1964 Topps Roses, a Maris Rookie, a McCovey Rookie (which I traded for a 86 Donruss Canseco- OUCH!), and every other star of the day....

FYI
  • My Dad never collected but as a Dad myself to two sons....they'll get it all. I will do everything I can to make sure this is a hobby he can all enjoy together forever. They both have very nice collections for a 7 week old and a 2-3/4 year old.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Well. I have a 2+ old son who I plan on getting involved in sports trading cards when he gets a bit older. It will be interesting how receptive he is to something, as you cannot force anything upon someone. However, I think the hobby teaches a youngster about things like:

1. Value of money
    2. Organizational skills
    3. Math (stats on back)
    4. Prioritization skills (you can't have everything)
    5. Negotiation skills (trading and bartering)
    6. Appreciation of history

I have a couple of projects that we can do together when he gets older that will be fun to do together.

Last evening, I gave him some sort of The Wiggles trading card that was inside the bottom of the fruit snacks container. I said here is your "Wiggles Trading Card" and he went oooh...then when his mom came home he said "look mommy, my tradin' card". That was pretty neat. When he picks up one of my graded cards, he usually hands it to me and says daddy's card. Kind of neat.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keithcsd

My son is 21 now and has long "abandoned" his collection; I'll hold it for him till he gets the urge again. I had mentioned in another thread how I was in Saudi during Desert Storm and sent Topps DS cards home - to make a long story short, he was selling them to a shop near our house for good $$ - that's how I got back into collecting and have never left. My dad collected "local" stuff like the 1928 Yeunglins ice cream which he neatly PASTED into scrap book paper - I still have them even though they're worthless in this state - don't want to take up too much space - have a lot of good stories, unfortunately, none involve big $ (I wish).

Mike
    Mike
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Dave-

Please e-mail me with contact info as I would like to interview you for the story and also get the photo of you and your son for the story.

Keith
    keithssw@aol.com