Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New to the forum

After reading many discussions and finding a good deal of information, I decided to "sign up". My children, who range from age 10 to 23, know more about how to use these things than I do, so please go easy on me if I make an "oops".
My wife and I have been trading on eBay since Dec. 01 as prometheus_183. Rather more like dabbling you could say, since we buy or sell in small quantities. When we first started out we made a few moderate purchases, and found that not every picture is worth a thousand words. It only took one spendy purchase on an auction with a shoddy image and a 'less than accurate description' to flag caution from that point on. One thing I know for sure,... I will never buy another ACG graded coin without first seeing it up close and in person.
I don't know a great deal about grading any one particular coin, so I don't even attempt to tag a grade on anything we decide to auction. I try to show a decent scan and give an accurate description as to the condition, luster, scratches, etc., and let folks judge for themselves. As for what a coin is worth,... like anything else, I've found that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and what I'm willing to take without duress for either party.
Our collection is small, because we're very selective on what we consider as "keepers". My wife is partial to Walker halves and SLQs, and I'm partial to gold,... any year, country, or flavor as long as the eye appeal is there.
I've already found some excellent information here, and will keep on reading. The insight on 'the good, the bad, and the ugly' eBay auctions is well worth the time spent in itself!

Cheers!
Craig and Katrina
The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.

Comments

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Craig and Katrina!! image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Welcome to the boards! image

Your experience with ACG is not uncommon. I've bought coins in ACG slabs, but only if I could examine the coin in person and assure myself that the grade was accurate. ACG has a bad reputation at this point, and all of my ACG slabs have been cracked open, and the coins re-certified by PCGS or NGC.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    How do!!!
    Wondo

• Options
    Craig and Katrina: I looked through some of your completed auctions, and your terms seems very fair. Also the presentation of your auctions is well ordered. Good write-ups. I didn't see any of your pics because you've already pulled them.

I do have one minor suggestion. I would extend your return policy to include slabbed coins. One man's professional certification can often be the brunt of another man's joke. I personally wouldn't bid on a coin, even one in a PCGS holder, if I didn't have a return policy to work with.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Howdy! I'm a lurker (I read and rarely say anything) and the information here ranges from the benign, to the rediculous, to the stuff that educates and enlightens. Enjoy!image
  • Options
    Welcome! We are one big, disfunctional, but happy, family!image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Welcome and I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as we do.

• Options
    Welcome!!! image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the advice. I'll change the template to include returns on slabs. Come to think of it, it would have been nice if I had that option on the ACG I purchased.
    As for the pics from previous auctions that I pulled,... our ISP gets a bit nasty when I over extend on space, which I tend to do at times.

I'd be glad to display a couple here, once I get this darn thing figured out.
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Welcome to our humble home.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Welcome.imageimageimage
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prometheus183: image to the boards !!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I'd be glad to display a couple here, once I get this darn thing figured out.

You can post pics here by directly linking to your host. That way you're not confined to 50K limit for uploading from your hard disk. Simply copy the URL of your pic, then when you are in the "reply" window, click on the picture tool (4th from the left). Paste the URL of the pic into the dialogue box that appears, and voila!

I don't even bother with that, I just type in the tags: [ IMG ]URL of the pic[ /IMG ]. There are no spaces in the actual code. I just did that to disable it. (You'll find that the PCGS forums do not support HTML.)

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    welcome to the boards
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!

For Katrina

(the avatar coin for you, Craig)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Welcome to the forum Craig & Katrina!image Anyone that likes Walkers is O.K. un my book!image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Bienvenue
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    welcome, & bon appetite!

K S
  • Options
    Welcome....
  • Options
    Prometheus183: Like you, I have only recently signed up after reading for some time. Welcome fellow newbe. image

Baley: I don't even collect that series, but that picture made me fall in love!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file