Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

SSP- Darkside slabs- sneak preview of a few.

Just a quickie preliminary listing- I'm open for offers. No pics- just thought I'd make a passing mention of a few. There are others, of course. Some of these might be familiar to some of y'all.

1558 German States (Saxony) thaler, ANACS EF40, nice grey toning. I have $250 invested. Want at least $265. Pedigree: ajaan.

1595 German States (Saxony) "Three Brothers" thaler, D-9820, ANACS EF40, medium grey tone. Think I have around $160 in it. Want something over $175. Pedigree: ajaan.

1913 German States (Bavaria) 3-mark pattern by Goetz. (Pn16). Struck in copper. NGC PF65. Wild magenta and lavender toning- must be seen to be appreciated. A monster. I have $250 in it and would sell at my cost plus shipping. Pedigree: greattoning.

1918-R Eritrea (Italian) 1 tallero, NGC AU55. Thanks to some fortuitous trading, I have next to nothing but grading fees in this one. It catalogs over $100 in EF and over $400 in UNC, as I recall. Pedigree: Aethelred (raw). I submitted it (through mongoose) and just got it back. Much more "wiggle room" on this because of my lower cost, but I ain't gonna give it away. *Sale pending*

1927 India (British) 1/4 anna, ANACS MS63 RB. I'm surprised it wasn't graded full red (RD), because it is. Can't remember what I have in it. Not much. Got it in our FUN show private swapmeet. Pedigree: Aethelred (probably via ajaan originally?)

1805 Ireland gilt proof halfpenny, NGC PF61. Very light cameo contrast. One of my old icon coins that finally made it into a slab. Wouldn't be selling it, but an upgrade to boiler78's monster PF64 CAM penny is in the works. I have $245 plus grading fees in it. Would sell it for around $265, I reckon. *Sale pending*

1940 Ireland halfpenny, NGC AU55 BN. Nice brown coin. NGC put it backward in the slab for some reason, though- piggies to the front, harp to the rear. Oh well. Don't have much in it- 'twas an extra from the days when I collected a complete set of Irish predecimal coins. These get pricey above EF. I can sell this at a nice price, however. (Once again, I ain't gonna give it away, though.) *Sale pending*

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(Once again, I ain't gonna give it away, though.) >>

Agressive marketing from LM ! image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Methinks I need to get around $200 fast for the Funk Soul Brothers Thaler imageimage
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Who's the ruler on the 1558? Ernestine or Albertine line?
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    nice
  • Options
    PM sent.
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who's the ruler on the 1558? Ernestine or Albertine line? >>

Geez, I dunno- my Krause only goes back to 1601, and I can't decipher all of the legends on the coin. Why don'tcha ask me a question I actually know the answer for next time, huh? image

Would a wretched picture help?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, I dunno- my Krause only goes back to 1601, and I can't decipher all of the legends on the coin. Why don'tcha ask me a question I actually know the answer for next time, huh? >>

Now what fun would that be? Time to step up to the plate and get those Davenports (or at least a Bachtell) image

<< <i>Would a wretched picture help? >>

Yes. August. Albertine Line. Thanks much. Nice coin. Good price. Just not good enough for me to be able to use it. image

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice offering LordM... What does the 1918 Tallero look like?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    The Eritrean tallero (which already has had a "nibble", BTW) is medium grey with a little bit of gold at the rims. Some subdued cartwheel luster. Nice coin, and a neat "retro" design. Having noticed it in Krause prior to owning this one, the design always caught my attention. It looks more like an 18th century design than you'd expect on a WWI-era coin. Reminds me a little of the Maria Theresia thalers, though the woman on the front of this coin is a little better looking than her.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Eritrean tallero (which already has had a "nibble", BTW) is medium grey with a little bit of gold at the rims. Some subdued cartwheel luster. Nice coin, and a neat "retro" design. Having noticed it in Krause prior to owning this one, the design always caught my attention. It looks more like an 18th century design than you'd expect on a WWI-era coin. Reminds me a little of the Maria Theresia thalers, though the woman on the front of this coin is a little better looking than her. >>

I've been told the design was meant to look like Maria Theresa because her thalers were the most popular currency in the area and the Eritreans spurned the earlier coins with King Umberto's portrait. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Eritrean tallero (which already has had a "nibble", BTW) is medium grey with a little bit of gold at the rims. Some subdued cartwheel luster. Nice coin, and a neat "retro" design. Having noticed it in Krause prior to owning this one, the design always caught my attention. It looks more like an 18th century design than you'd expect on a WWI-era coin. Reminds me a little of the Maria Theresia thalers, though the woman on the front of this coin is a little better looking than her. >>

I've been told the design was meant to look like Maria Theresa because her thalers were the most popular currency in the area and the Eritreans spurned the earlier coins with King Umberto's portrait. image >>

They were just continuing the use of a design they had been using since the 18th century in Venice (check Talleri of the 1760s-1780s). It was originally a female personification of "Republic." However, the modification that occured in 1768 does seem to greatly resemble thalers of Maria Theresia of the same period, probably for the reasons already stated above.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Aha. So there was a reason for the resemblance, then. Cool. Y'all have educated me. Now that you mention it, I probably saw the 18th century version of the design somewhere before, too.

The tallero is sold. So is the 1940 Irish halfpenny.