Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To Peel Or Not To Peel?

My wife recently came across my card collection from many years ago and she decided that she wanted to restart the collection because she grew quite interested in the whole idea. We began collecting again and just joined PSA. When I had stopped collecting before graded cards were nonexistant. Now she wants to get some graded so she is going to be sending some in. One of the cards that she wants to send in is a Pinnacle Totally Certified Dan Marino (one of her first finds as she loves the Dolphins and Marino, as do I). This card has a "Peel Off" coating on it and being new to the grading worlds I was wondering if this should be removed before grading or not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Most people believe leaving the peel on gives the card a higher value (the physial surface is assumed to be mint). And you always have the option of peeling at a later date, though not as feasible when graded.

If this is a card for your personal collection, I would say peel it. Peels look awful, at least the ones from Topps do (example). I'm not familar with the Pinnacle cards.
  • Options
    It is easier to get a higher grade with the peel removed so i would recommend removing it.image
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd peal off the coatings too. I think all real collectors would.
  • Options
    Peal it!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the help. Now I can send off my card, I just have to get up the nerve to peel this thing off. I'm so afraid that I'm going to damage the card! At least it's not a super expensive one, so if I do I'll just have to talk my husband into buying me a new one.
    Once again, thanks to everyone for the help!
  • Options
    A first.

Ron posts then Chelle posts under the same ID. Love it.
  • Options
    If the peel is clean without bubbles and scratches I'd leave it on. A high grade card with a peel does sell for more.

The problem is when the card is graded I believe the peel slowly starts coming off. I had a Garnett Finest RC with peel that was a PSA 10 that had no business being in that case. The top edge was all bubbled and corners were peeling. I don't think the card was like that when it was graded.

CB4
  • Options
    I guess that I will definitely have to peel it then. I don't want it to bubble in a holder. Still nervous about screwing it up though. I'm going to go through with it tonight I guess.
    Justin, was I not supposed to post under the same id or is it just unusual for a couple to use the same one? I'm more likely to post than he is because I'm the one who talked him into starting the collection again. I've looked at this board ten times the amount he has since he signed up for it.