Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has this market peaked?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just returned from a visit to one of the local store dealers. He had attended a local show on Sunday and his comments on what he saw happening seem to mirror my own observations. COLLECTORS were out in force and were prepared to buy. However, they were being VERY picky and, as a result, business at the show was actually very soft.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think so. Every Saturday and Sunday I spend 3 to 4 hours at the local coin shop, and in the last couple of months there have been dozens of people there that are just getting back into collecting. And, they're buying high quality coins.....Ken
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't at that show but the description sure fits...I have $$ and can't find coins I like enough to buy! So I don't buy much....if anything.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have become extremely picky in the past few months.

However, when I find the quality I am looking for , I buy.

Being picky when you buy is the best protection against big losses,

when ever the market should turn lower. At the L.B. Show I saw the

majority of dealers with mounds of the same old, dull, scrubbed, dipped out

type coins and commems. They were stacked in large piles and looked like they

had been in stock for a long time. What was selling ,was the fresh, origonal ,clean

coins and there seemed no price resistance for that type of PQ material.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    I spent 3 days at FUN and only bought 1 coin!!! I think a lot of us are getting picky or to the point in our collections that it is hard to find what we want!!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    291fifth and others - before such questions can be answered, you first need to define and agree upon what constitutes "this market".

There are many different segments and they rarely, if ever move together at the same time or in the same direction.
    Some segments are bringing record prices, while others have already dropped off from previous highs and still others haven't even really participated recently.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the pattern market peaked late last year. Too many coins came to market in too little time. Prices for some patterns are now significantly lower. It's a great time to be picking off a few bargains.

As for the rest of the market, I think it's premature to say that the market has peaked. I haven't seen any significant weakness.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>291fifth and others - before such questions can be answered, you first need to define and agree upon what constitutes "this market".

There are many different segments and they rarely, if ever move together at the same time or in the same direction.
    Some segments are bringing record prices, while others have already dropped off from previous highs and still others haven't even really participated recently. >>

Mark-

Since you are a major player in the market I'd like to hear your comments on just what is currently HOT, NOT, and JUST PLAIN DEAD.

Tom
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Tom, If Mark told you that classified information,

He just might have to kill you to keep the secret.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Actually, the market is no where near peaking. Too many people don't understand the power of the internet or how huge our marketplace has become.

Over $50,000,000.00 worth of coins just sold at HUGE premiums via all the auctions in January. Just about EVERY retail dealer I know (of my calibre) is STILL reporting record sales. THIS IS NOT HYPE, THIS IS FACT.

To those of you who think the market is peaking, SELL ME YOUR COINS!!!!!PLEASE!
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Has this market peaked?"

No, according to HRHimage
  • Options
    No Laura. You cant have them, their all mine.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Well, the pattern market peaked late last year. Too many coins came to market in too little time. Prices for some patterns are now significantly lower. It's a great time to be picking off a few bargains."

I generally agree. Caveat: The quality of the material being offered at this point is also significantly poorer I believe. In other words, the few great coins continue to get plucked off when offered (and for solid prices) and the "dogs" continue to multiply. Lately, I can look at a pattern offering in an auction and rule out 80%+ of the coins simply on horrible quality grounds alone. These coins drift from auction to auction diluting the quality of the next auction and on and on. The collector base has not grown in equal proportions to the "dogs" multiplying I believe - perhaps this has to do with the promises of a Registry not materializing as of yet. Indeed, the "new pattern book" didn't set the world on fire as some had predicted.

The bottom line is if you are building a particular pattern collection, these are once again becoming fairly good times as prices come down to earth. If you are "investing" in patterns, intending to flip them and have 4-5 turns of inventory per year - I suspect these may be difficult times and one might think the market has indeed "peaked".

Wondercoin

P.S. Andy - I intentionally went into the show Saturday around noon to pay you, ran into Rick K. who said you had left already and then proceeded to take a pattern from Rick on approval. I tried image

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Over $50,000,000.00 worth of coins just sold at HUGE premiums via all the auctions in January. Just about EVERY retail dealer I know (of my calibre) is STILL reporting record sales. >>

Laura, while I don't think the market has peaked as a whole, your comment above could have just as easily applied in some ways, to other times in history, just before the market crashed. image

Remember how wild and crazy things were before previous crashes? Don't get me wrong - I'm not predicting a crash -I prefer not to make predictions, because I KNOW that I don't KNOW the future. But, part of your reasoning/evidence that the market is far from having peaked, is faulty/suspect in my opinion.

Tom - I will try to address your question later today.
  • Options
    The market will peak when and only when, the Bear stops buying.

As of now the bear is still buying. But being verrrry selective.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many people don't understand the power of the internet or how huge our marketplace has become. >>

This one sentence says it all. Not to say that the market has stopped being cyclical in nature, but many factors have changed more than most people realize.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    Tom.....

Some words of advice......

1) If you are trying to time the market and get out at the top.... don't, you'll never do it....
    2) If you are uncomfortable at the levels now, sell your collection and be happy.....
    3) If you are not comfortable with the amount of risk involved now, don't collect/trade....

Just enjoy the hobby..... prices are going to go up... and down... and up again.......
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many people don't understand the power of the internet or how huge our marketplace has become. >>

...Says the hot shot would be dotcom millionaire to a salivating VC circa 1999.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This one sentence says it all. Not to say that the market has stopped being cyclical in nature, but many factors have changed more than most people realize.

RELLA >>

Not only are there more participants seeking coins but there are more participants at every level
    of sophistication from eagerly buying rare coins for esoteric collections to still apprehensive to spend
    much over face value. This is having an effect on all facets of the hobby. Even darkside coins have been
    becoming quite firm in recent months and substantial increases appear to be at hand.

There still appears to be a couple years left in this bull and longer is not impossible. When tokens
    and medals start participating there may be a little fall off or some rotation in coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Tom.....

Some words of advice......

1) If you are trying to time the market and get out at the top.... don't, you'll never do it....
    2) If you are uncomfortable at the levels now, sell your collection and be happy.....
    3) If you are not comfortable with the amount of risk involved now, don't collect/trade....

Just enjoy the hobby..... prices are going to go up... and down... and up again....... >>

Peaceman,

While I am going to be selling a significant portion of my collection in the near future my concern here is to try and get an accurate feel for what is really happening out there in coin land. I have found that the numismatic press is largely useless as they usually just reprint the glowing press releases they receive.
    When was the last time you ever hear of a numismatic auction that was reported to be a failure?

My own collection consists of nice collector coins, none of which are valued at over $2500, most much less, which will probably do well when the are sold, probably on eBay.

I just hunger for accurate, non-hyped market information.

Tom
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Since you are a major player in the market I'd like to hear your comments on just what is currently HOT, NOT, and JUST PLAIN DEAD. >>

Tom, before I answer your question, let me say, that I'm not revealing any secrets here - many people could just as easily tell you the same things I'm about to, even if we don't agree in each and every case....

"HOT": much of the "registry set" material, though, even that is subject to the whims of collectors who decide to sell their sets and, to new super high grade coins being "made" and their populations increasing.

If/when you have a very small group of collectors chasing after a very small group of coins, if one or more of the collectors exits the chase and/or more coins are added to the available supply, prices can drop. For example, some of the MS68FB Mercury dimes and Proof 68 (1938-1942) Jefferson nickel prices have dropped recently, due to population increases.

"HOT": beautifully toned and/or extra eye-appealing coins - no surprise there.

"HOT" : "short set" (1941-1947) Walkers graded MS65 and higher.

"HOT" : recently, classic commemorative gold coins have perked up noticeably.

"JUST PLAIN DEAD" - ugly, unappealing coins and/or those which can easily be located in LARGE quantities - no surprise there, either. This comprises a very large group!

"NOT" - MANY coins and coin types - in the areas in which we often deal rather heavily, I would again mention Mint State and Proof copper, nickel and silver type coins, classic silver commemoratives, pre-short-set date Walkers and Peace dollars, among others.

Yes, amazing coins within these groups bring BIG bucks but many perfectly nice, highly attractive and desirable coins can be had at levels similar to those of two or more years ago. Please don't tell anyone, though. image
  • Options
    You cannot compare coin collecting today with any other period in history. INTERNET, INTERNET, INTERNET. Example: Me. I buy almost all of my coins thru e-bay [slabbed]. I can't get to coin shows and have only one local dealer. I'll probably spend $20,000 this year, which is about $18,000 more than I would have without the internet. This may not be much for a lot of you big collectors and dealers, but it's quite a bit for the average collector. And I'm obviously not the only one. The market obviously can't go up forever, but I believe it will last quite a while. Especially for collector coins under $5,000. JMHO. Steve
  • Options
    During the last two shows, FUN and Long Beach, is it possible that dealers were just buying and selling to each other?image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but just about the only dealing I've seen lately is dealer to dealer!
    Glenn
  • Options
    THIS IS NOT HYPE, THIS IS FACT.

Laura - If it's not hype, why are you screaming? image

Seriously, I'm hugely bullish on rare coins in the long term, in large part for the reasons Laura cited. But I assure you that we are not on a straightline path to fame and fortune. Do not be surprised if reports of the death of the coin market's "business cycle" are somewhat exaggerated.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    As long as we have collectors buying coins for their collections and not to resell for short term profits, there will be a good/strong coin market. When the collectors are buying to re-sell for quick profits, we enter into the "greater fool" market - as soon as we run out of fools, the market collapses, only to start over again.

The internet has affected the coin market, but from what I see that's available on ebay, the types of coins generally offered there are NOT the coins that are selling for record levels. I think what has occurred is that the internet is making buying rare coins more available to those that can't travel 2500 miles to go to say a LB show, and where there are more collectors, there is more demand. But, like chain letters, there is not an infinite suppluy of new buyers, so there will likely be either a slow-down (good) or a meltdown (bad).

As the dot come craze - and the FL land craze and the Tulip craze before - have shown us, an infinitely increasing market is not possible.

JMHO
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    As a collector who's somewhat new to hobby, I haven't seen
    any signs of a market peak.
    The half-dozen Morgans I need to finish my set ( key dates, naturally )
    are going up faster than I can save up to buy 'em !
    A peak in the market would give me a chance to breath !!!
  • Options
    << Over $50,000,000.00 worth of coins just sold at HUGE premiums via all the auctions in January. Just about EVERY retail dealer I know (of my calibre) is STILL reporting record sales. >>

"Laura, while I don't think the market has peaked as a whole, your comment above could have just as easily applied in some ways, to other times in history, just before the market crashed."

In response to Marks comments, sorry, I disagree! Simple reasons why, the BULK of the buying you'll find is from REAL collectors. In tha past (1980+1989) the market was driven primarily by DEALER speculation. This time, we don't have phoney banks in CA pumping out loans to shady dealers who drove Morgans up $500.00 in MS65 (something they never should have been). Also, we now have such monster marketing techniques as the Registry concept. That has made more people WANT to collect. While you draw the comparison that the markets peak when massive activty takes place, its not so this time.

People are STILL collecting. Want Lists are STILL expanding. Coins are NOT trading dealer to dealer. They are really going OFF the market.

One example I can give is what happening to PR gold (that we are aware of). High end stuff is going off the market to a group of well heeled collectors. They have been buying for about 6-8 years now (probably about $15-25 million a year). They have NEVER sold anything. They are building sets. They feel so good about the market that they're spending is INCREASING. They have no immediate plans on selling, they are comitted to put the stuff away for as long as possible (they say forever, but I'm hedging). Think about it, save for an old time collection, how many GEM Proof $20 Libs have you seen in the past few years? Not many.

My point is that the INTERNET brought all these new people to the hobby. I do NOT get phones calls (like I did in 1989) discussing the "investment" aspect of coins. People talk to me about building sets. Also, the profile of the affluent collector has totally changed. Now I deal with BILLIONARES who think coins are neat and just want to build the sets-pricing is not really an object nor is a down turn inthe econmy. In the 30 years I've been inthis hobby, I have NEVER seen more people with that much money floating around at the same time. A gazllionre used to be a rarity-only one or two biggies floating around. Heck, just look at the 1933 $20-rumor has it that the coin was purchased by a mutilmillionare newcomer to the hobby. What the public is unaware of, was the 4-5 others like him who were the underbidders.

So I repeat to those of you who think the market is peakingL PLEASE SELL ME YOUR COINS!

Now, talk to me in another 3-5 years. Then I'm sure my feelings might be changed.
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • Options

<< <i>Coins are NOT trading dealer to dealer >>

Sorry, Laura, that is (at least part) BOLOGNA. There is a great deal of dealer to dealer trading taking place and most people are well aware of it.
  • Options
    I disagree oh great Coinguy. From MY pearch, I see all the GREAT coins selling to "retail" dealers and going right off the market.

Maybe its just my little fantasy world.

I will certianly argue that the MAJORITY of ALL auction coins are going either to dealers and THEN off the market, or just directly off the market. I sit and attend the sales, so I see whos buying for the most part (and don't think we can't figure out a dealers book bid).
    Laura Sperber

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    For the coins I can afford, the market is nice and stable. Most of the "hot" coins are for the >$1000 coins. And since that's in another market from me, I'm unconcerned with it. But my market is steady with a thin margin based on what I've seen.
  • Options
    Ugly coins are dead, so says Mark Feld. I would agree with him. This points to the fact that it is collector driven.

With regard to the original question, i hope the market crashes and then stabilizes. A stable even market. That's what I want.

adrian
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Craig's comment above is right on...I have money, gained from selling off about half of my coins over the past year. I sold my "lesser" coins, which are most collector's PQ coins....I made stiff money along the way, using some of it to upgrade to monster coins (e.g. 1950D roosie in 67FB at $2357)...Now, I can't buy anything that improves my sets....I spent three days at FUN scouring everywhere to buy two coins....Buying "my quality" coins is difficult....I personally am awaiting the coming (can't say when, but it WILL come) "correction" downward...for then, I'll be able to buy again.....If you are NOT a dealer, you want the market to correct downward, maybe even crash..........image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    The more things change....oh, never mind, nobody ever listens.

Good luck to all, and have fun with your sample slabs, er, I mean coins! image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Myself, I wouldn't mind seeing the market crash for a while. Someone like me could actually snag a few crumbs from the table and wait for the next bull market and sell.

Neil
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    talking about gazillionaire buyers-----One example I can give is what happening to PR gold (that we are aware of). High end stuff is going off the market to a group of well heeled collectors. They have been buying for about 6-8 years now (probably about $15-25 million a year). They have NEVER sold anything. They are building sets. They feel so good about the market that they're spending is INCREASING. They have no immediate plans on selling, they are comitted to put the stuff away for as long as possible (they say forever, but I'm hedging). Think about it, save for an old time collection, how many GEM Proof $20 Libs have you seen in the past few years? Not many. who do they expect to sell to?? only themselves i imagine, similar to the dealer-to-dealer-merry-go-round. they aren't collecting, they're investing.

al h.image
  • Options

<< <i>From MY pearch, I see all the GREAT coins selling to "retail" dealers and going right off the market. >>

Laura, perhaps if you define "all the great coins" as a relatively small percentage of those out there and/or change your quote to "many great coins", we can come to an agreement of some sort?image But, if you keep speaking in absolutes, I will have no choice but to keep disagreeing with you and calling you on it.image

PS - not sure if you meant "from my peach" or "from my perch", rather than "from my pearch" but either way, I disagree.image
  • Options
    " who do they expect to sell to?? only themselves I imagine, similar to the dealer-to-dealer-merry-go-round. they aren't collecting, they're investing."

Poor statement.

Everything cycles. New collectors will always enter, just as old ones will stop. If I were to believe by the above statement, then the coin market won't exist in 10-20 years.
    Laura Sperber

• Options
    I guess I need a fruit break! image
    Laura Sperber

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Now I know why I haven't been able to pick up a proof $20 Lib - Thanks! image

Mark, didn't you guys sell the Trompeter (sp) $20 lib proof late last year? image I think that was a big coin!!
    Wondo

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura does tend to speak in absolutes.... BUT:

Those who say this market is only about dealers or investors are ABSOLUTELY wrong [ image ]. I know of many large collectors who are buying in order to sock sets away for a very long time - myself included. I know of many buyers who are re-selling overseas. In fact, if you read GMAI's financials which were released today, you will see that they sold almost $20M in collectables to their overseas shareholder to be resold in Europe. That's in 3 months!

Certainly dealer's stocks tend to inflate in the good times and deflate in the bad - that's only natural. But to say the great coins are just trading back and forth between dealers and not coming to roost in collector's hands is pretty farfetched....
  • Options
    Well, as Mark alluded to, the first order of business is to determine which market is being addressed.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the GMAI financials? What company is that?

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor statement.

hey Laura

consider the scenario you've laid out. a group of wealthy investors---though you did call them a "group of well-heeled collectors---has been amassing Proof Gold at the rate of 15-25 million dollars a year for the past 6-8 years. now they are increasing that rate of purchase with the intention of keeping that material off the market for an indefinite period. who exactly will be able to purchase that from them after they have---if they don't already have---a controlling interest which allows them to set the price??

your examples sometimes highlight the different caliber of customer that you cater to. nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of collectors that need/want high end/high priced material. but you always try to equate what happens in that special segment of the hobby with what goes on with the overall majority of collectors. i beleive TDN and dorkkarl had this discussion a few days ago.

al h. image
  • Options
    TDN and Keets - excellent points.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I can only discuss the market areas I am involved in. I do not know what things like AU Barber coins, Merc Dimes, etc are doing (don't get me wrong, I actually collect AU Bust Halves, I'm just not in those markets).

I do feel it is important though for EVERYONE to know when the "big boys" are playing hard. Why? becuase when they have confidence in the market, they are spending the big $$-and that should be a good sign across the board. And believe me, they don't spend if they think things are going south (the vulture buyers usually come in AFTER a crash). What they do DOES effect all levels (mostly by freeing up dealers cash flows at the very least).

Laura Sperber

• Options
    From the heat and fire of knowledgable debate

often comes light. A most enjoyable thread, both the pro and the con.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    My last comment for the night:

I am willing to put my money where my yapper is. I sell to RETAIL-NOT dealers. I am willing to "risk" as much money as I can get my hands to buy and INVENTORY coins.

I will do this because I know what I can sell and to whom. If I felt the market was peaking (which I actually thought was happening to Bust Dollars at the end of 2001-which I was wrong about), I would NOT be so stupid. When my orders do dry up, then I would retreat. Until then, I need HIGH GRADE Ultra cameo Proof gold, the wildest colorered Commems, ALL better DMPL Morgans (NO ONE WILL PAY MORE THAN FOR PCGS COINS-ESPECIALLY CC's), the finest MS+PR Type coins, I still need about 5 Flat Rim GEM MS 65 High Reliefs (this order is from ONE collector who wants his kids to each have one-noble huh?), etc. And this isn't near everything I have immediately sold!
    Laura Sperber

• Options
    When my orders do dry up, then I would retreat. Until then, I need (blah, blah, blah)

Laura - That doesn't make you a bull. It makes you a business person.

Edited to add that Art Kagin has often said to me that the most dangerous thing a coin dealer can do is to start believing his own BS. Not that that applies to anyone on this forum, of course. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    B.S. is often necessary , if one is to have

a green and healthy lawn in the spring.

Excessive and dour ruminations, can sometimes

become a self forfilling future ,rather then a prudent

warning of historical as well as hysterical note.
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file