Home U.S. Coin Forum

Forum poll regarding ANACS- Do you find they.....

tend to undergrade-overgrade -or grade comparably to PCGS? If you have ever done a crossover how did you fare? Thanks!image

Comments

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They get too hung up on net grades. In my opinion they sometimes net grade down coins that deserve higher grades in the first place. On the other hand you can often get a coin into a holder with ANACS that NGC and PCGS would reject but it will have the curse of the net grade attached to it with whatever problem resulting in the net to be identified. I don't know how many ANACS coins I have seen that say AU Details, Net Grade whatever. I believe their guarantee is equal to that of NGC and PCGS which has the self fulfilling prophecy of keeping them conservative.
  • Hi, Boom -

I tried three times to cross from ANACS to PCGS. Here's what happened:

ANACS 1925-D $2 1/2 MS61 ---> PCGS MS62
    ANACS 1958-D Franklin MS 65 FBL ---> PCGS MS65 FBL
    ANACS 1795 1C F15 ---> DNC (I'm not sure why. NGC slabbed it as a F15...)

Dan
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    I find them to be about par with grading Bust Halves and have crossed an 1832 PCGS XF45 to an AU50 that I had shown to several experts who agreed it was at least AU50-53. Most other Halves had graded about the same from the big 3.

Overall they seem to be as conserative as PCGS or NGC
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I find anacs to do a decent job. Not quite as consistent as ngc or pcgs, and sometimes quick to throw a "net" grade around. I've cracked out some ANACS coins and they slabbed at ngc at the same grade. I've had two crossovers that wouldn't cross.
    It's like any other holder floating around out there. You have to look at the coin, and make a judgement for yourself as to whether or not a particular coin meets YOUR grading criteria.
    Thinking back, last year I had a couple of anacs Proof Lib. nicks that UPgraded at ngc. One anacs buffalo nickel that upgraded at ngc. Of course, it's like gambling. The winnings are the first to come to mind. I know there were a couple of mishaps too, but I seem to have done a good job at clearing my memory of those. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    ANACS must have tightened up their grading. I talked to a few dealers at FUN that were buying ANACS coins to crossover to PCGS and they were buying a lot of them!!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Can you tell the age of a anacs holder? Seems like they have used the same style for many years.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "It's like any other holder floating around out there. You have to look at the coin, and make a judgement for yourself as to whether or not a particular coin meets YOUR grading criteria." --BigD5

You mean we actually have to learn to grade ourselves???

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • I cracked some 1960 proof 67 cents from anacs holders.1 went to 68 a couple stayed 67. Joe
  • I like ANACS grading. I have quite a few ANACS coins in my album collections which I "cracked out" and I am always looking out for them. I've found their grading to be comparable to both PCGS and NGC (especially in Classic Commemoratives) and the coins can generaly be had for a bit less. I have some ANACS MS62 coins I swear would cross to 64+ but alas, I would just have to "crack" them again and reholder in my album!image

Here are a couple of ANACS MS62's...

• ANACS, (IMO), are too conservative on some U.S. Denominations, especially 2 cent pieces...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?

• << <i>Can you tell the age of a anacs holder? Seems like they have used the same style for many years. >>

I think, just by guessing looking at some recent submissions, that they use their serial numbers sequentially. The latest numbers start out 25XXXXX. My older ones are in the lower "two million" range from over a year ago.

I personally think ANACS grades the closest to the (mushy) ANA standard....and I do think they've gotten tougher. My local dealer, who's a PCGS dealer, says ANACS is particualrly conservative on copper.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    ANACS does well.

To answer the other question about the age of slabs, you can tell the difference by the slab type (look). The current slabs have a gold hologram emblem on the back. Prior to that they were using I think red holograms.

Others can tell you more about them, but that is how I currently do the telling.
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    only tried one time:
    A screaming toner buffalo 38-d 64 anacs and a 55 double die Lincoln 61 RB anacs

Pcgs sent them back still in their anacs slabs. First and last time will try that.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the series...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file