Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greysheet, Redbook, Bluebook?

Shouldn't the only variables be grade and eye appeal?

Many unscrupulous dealers see someone carrying a Redbook or a copy of Coin Values and adapt a different mindset than if the same individual were carrying a Greysheet.

If we were to consider <gasp> only raw coins for a moment, is it unrealistic to assume that collectors and dealers might both use Greysheet prices as a basis for transactions? (As opposed to dealer-to-dealer transactions). I don't consider myself any different than a dealer looking for a particular choice specimen for a customer's want list. Shouldn't the differences really be in the volume purchases - where dealers frequently make volume buys?

I only ask because I had a fairly interesting and lengthy conversation today (at a show in Mesa, AZ) with several individuals on the matter.
The Body of Benjamin Franklin Printer (Like the cover of an old book Its contents torn out and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here, food for worms.
But the work shall not be lost for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more elegant edition revised and corrected
by The Author.

(Ben's epitaph)

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file