Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

makes me wonder ???

it has happened again, i `ve puchased a card from someone who has that card listed in their current set registry, this has happened to me a number of
times in just the last 6 months.
it makes me wonder how many set registry people do not own the cards (currently) that they say they do ???
watching the message boards it is easy to tell that many of the users are dealers, and dealers don`t stay in business long keeping inventory.
i will say at this time, the large majority of times this has happened the persons have had ebay stores with many cards for sale or just people with
many, many, cards listed on ebay all the time (dealer)
i am quite sure most dealers are not involved. but this does seem to be a problem.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Part of the problem is that when you remove a card from your registry set it doesn't remove it from all sets you have registered. For example I upgraded my '64 Giants Koufax several months ago, but had forgotten it was also registered in the Koufax player set. If PSA could somehow link all sets of one registrant it might take care of a few of these.
    I've also been unable to register a card that I had bought from someone when I could see they had deleted it from their set. In that case I simply fax a xerox of the card to Cosetta and it's taken care of within a few hours.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I've had it happen twice recently on eBay purchases (from different people). Both times, I emailed Cosetta after waiting 3 business days after being unable to register it, and she took care of the sets the cards had been registered in. I sent her a digital cam pic of both cards sitting on top of the USA Today with the date showing, which was the simplest way to prove current ownership. One of the cards was purchased from a major submitter, and it was in a set that wasn't under his name. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    It's happened to me the other way around before...I sold off a 71 Sam McDowell to Andiehaley that I had in my registry at the time...worse yet, my email address that was listed on the set was old (I was unaware that was the one I had on there) and it was four weeks before I even bothered to check that email. I immediately removed it, but I felt bad just the same. So it can easily be an error on the seller's part.
  • Options

<< <i>I sent her a digital cam pic of both cards sitting on top of the USA Today with the date showing, which was the simplest way to prove current ownership. >>

Nick,
    just so you know,
    today, with simple programs like Photoshop
    people can Easily fake a photo like that.

they take a picture of another PSA card on
    today's paper and then "insert" the psa
    card of their choice into the photo and
    only the biggest computer experts would
    ever be able to tell the difference.

Virtualizard, and several others here have demontrated
    that basic skill here many times.

so, Be careful what you THINK is a real photo!
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    BKAH - and who is going to take the time to fake a picture of a Buckmans disc in PSA 9 and a '59 Topps baseball common in PSA 7?

To do this successfully, you would need to have a picture of each card (most likely inside a slab, because photoshopping to create the impression that the card is in a slab is difficult). It would be much simpler for you to get pictures of the individual cards which you intend to register, because otherwise you will need to photoshop in the bar code and serial number. You would then need to take a picture of two other PSA cards (and in this case, one would have to be in a tall boy holder) on the paper, and then photoshop in the pictures of the cards you want to register, after cutting and resizing those pictures.

And after all that, you might want to figure out how to explain why the cards show up in someone else's eBay transaction history.

Can I imagine someone going to great lengths to fake ownership for registry purposes of a rare or valuable card? Yes. But how much work would they make to scam for a $5 card?

The only guaranteed way to prove you have the cards is to show them in person to PSA employees. I hope PSA does not put us to that (even though I could easily do it, being about an hour's drive away from their offices).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.