Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question/Where to Buy Bowman "Chrome" or "Gold"

Hey guys. My nephew is bugging me about buying him something called "Bowman Chrome" cards. I try to encourage his young collecting instincts, and told him maybe we'll get some tomorrow before the game starts.

Well, then he tells me they're something like $3 a pack, but only a few cards come in a pack?image Is that right? Just a few cards in a damn pack? (What in the Virgin Mother's name has happened to the pricing of this hobby!? I thought my coins were bad . . . I can remember getting dozens of Topps cards plus a stick of gum for something like $0.75. What kid can afford this?)

He says he wants something called "Gold" cards, too. Is that something different? A different brand or a different product, or do they come in this "Chrome" product?

Finally, where can I buy them cheap . . . I searched Walmart's website, but they don't seem to carry them. I don't want to be traveling to some mall-based dealer and getting hosed. Can anyone reccommend a California-based store or major retailer?

Thank you one and all. And enjoy the game tomorrow.
Realtime National Debt Clock:

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the "modern era" of cards and your fortunate your nephew has the good sense to recommend a product which offers the most for the least investment.

Bowman Chrome ( he is probably referring to "BCDP" the prospect update ) has the most coveted rookie cards and long-term value dependant on the career of the prospect.

At $3.00 a pack, it is a bargain in today's market where premium products like Upper Deck Ultimate Collection cost $100 per pack for 4 cards, of which only one has true value.

The "Gold" he is referring to is either the variant subset of the base cards which is on thicker stock signed with a facsimile gold signature; the other possibility is a gold version of the chrome card which is very collectible. Each pack comes with 5 regular bowman draft cards, one gold subset card and two chrome cards, one of which could be the valuable gold insert.

I know you obviously are more expert at coins and this sounds foreign, but this is the answer to your question.
  • Options

<< <i>it is a bargain in today's market where premium products like Upper Deck Ultimate Collection cost $100 per pack for 4 cards, of which only one has true value. >>

Holy sweet mother of god. A HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR FOUR F-ING BASEBALL CARDS?

I am shocked. I mean genuinely shocked. I had to read that sentence over four times to ensure I had read what I thought I read. I had no idea, absolutely none, that this is the face of modern sportcard collecting.

I am singularly focused on coins, and haven't bought a pack of cards in 15 years, when I was a kid. If I had walked into a sport place, and saw a 2004 pack of four cards for $100, I would have called the dealer a fraud right to his face and walked straight the F out of such a shop. Man o man am I getting old (in my early 30s).

Thanks for the response. Sheesh, I'm going to happily buy him a few packs of those Bowmans, and cross my fingers he never asks for the Upper Deck Ultimate Collection.

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Hope he doesn't ask for 2004 Playoff Prime Cuts Baseball...its $150.00 per pack which contains 4 cards, 1 of which is an Autograph or Memorabilia piece numbered to less than 50.
  • Options
    How bad can it get?

Oh, hey, where should I go tomorrow for the Bowman "Chrome" cards? Will a national retailer have them, or do I have to schlep to an overpriced mall and render unto a card dealer for these cards?

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Your best bet is a local card shop NOT in a mall, if there are any left in your area. Where in California are you?

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    San Diego my friend. Shorts and short sleeves all year long, all year strong. Any recommendation to acquire some cheap packs of these cards is appreciated.