Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OK Darksiders..this is my first post here, so be easy!!!!!

My Brotherinlaw just gave these to me as a gift from Jordan...what are they???

imageimage

Comments

• Dirty?? image Welcome!!
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    sorry, no tie-dye on this forum....image

• << <i>sorry, no tie-dye on this forum....image >>

Shheeesh, i guess i'll go somewhere else.......image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Those are cheap, ugly, dirty buttons!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Just kidding Dave. What you have there are ancient Roman coins minted during the reign of Constantine I (AD 307-337). These coins would have been issued late in the reign, after AD 324 I suspect. Value about $5-10.

Hope that helps!image

EDITED TO ADD: Looks like it is really Constantine II (issued during the reign of Constantine I). Dates AD 324-337.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

• << <i>Just kidding Dave. What you have there are ancient Roman coins minted during the reign of Constantine I (AD 307-337). These coins would have been issued late in the reign, after AD 324 I suspect. Value about $5-10.

Hope that helps!image >>

Thanks Athelred, really not concerned with value, just wanted to know what they were.... I have 3 more but think i'll buy a book or something to figure them out, Thanks for the info!!!!
    If you can wait a few months the third part of Sear's Roman Coins will be out, it covers that period.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

• << <i>If you can wait a few months the third part of Sear's Roman Coins will be out, it covers that period. >>

No big deal, Deb's brother is a missionary and picked some coins up for us while he was in Jordan last week... I just wondered what they were.....
    Few things are more cool than holding a 1700 year old coin in your hand!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • I can think of a few! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • I think i'll go back to askin about my Morgans........
    vr...I was bustin' your chops you dunderhead....image

• << <i>vr...I was bustin' your chops you dunderhead....image >>

imageThat's cool Cache, i am outta my ellement here.. no big deal....image

<< <i>That's cool Cache, i am outta my ellement here.. >>

Now wait a second...I think we were just called nerds! heh heh

• << <i>

Now wait a second...I think we were just called nerds! heh heh >>

imageNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Ya think???????image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Look what crawled out of his hole.....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    Bill

09/07/2006
    I didn't see the pix before. I like the condition of the coin....it's really great! Not corroded, either.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

<< <i>

Now wait a second...I think we were just called nerds! heh heh >>

But we ARE nerds.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • I've actually been lurkin over here some... I am intrigued by some of the Ancient coin designs and Metals... I always liked Greek Mytholigy and have seen some great looking coins that i've been thinking about picking up, i love Morgan Dollars, but their are really some cool coins over here, i just need to learn a little more about them......
  • VR you need a Krause. There are so many cool designs out there.

In fact I think I have even seen some with squirrels on themimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Greek mythology coin: Greece 1910 1 drachma (au58)
    (image and coin by cosmicdebris)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

• << <i>VR you need a Krause. There are so many cool designs out there.

In fact I think I have even seen some with squirrels on themimage >>

REALLY????? I'd like one of those!!!!

I tell ya the coin i really like... That Goetz (i think it was that) That had the whole city on it, i think you or Cacheman used to have it in your sigline.... I thought that was cool, and several of those on your homepage......
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>Greek mythology coin: Greece 1910 1 drachma (au58)

image >>

Wow, that's awesome!!! I've never really seen any Greek coins...I'll have to start checking them out!

• << <i>Greek mythology coin: Greece 1910 1 drachma (au58)

image >>

That's way cool, a whole lot nicer than a coin with a dead president on it...FOR SURE!!!!!!
  • Nice to see a fellow Arkansan over here. image to the Darkside!
    Glenn
  • IMHO, that Drachma is an ugly design... I always have a feeling the reverse is badly worn.... I prefer the 1 Phoenix image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

Hey Techie, I think you're referring to Cacheman's many City View Thalers from Switzerland and Germany. They are totally bad-a$$!!! I believe you can find them in the thread about "your best 2003 coin purchases".

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO, that Drachma is an ugly design... >>

I see things very differently. I truly believe that this is one of the best drachma designs of the modern era, where the Crown of Arms on the reverse,has been dropped in favour of a theme from ancient mythology.Thetis is carrying weapons to her son Achille sitting on a sea horse. The talented impressionist painter and sculptor G. Iakovidis who engraved them , got his inspiration from an ancient didrachm from Epirus.It was no coincidence that these coins were the first to be engraved by a local artist. By 1910 ,Greece was ready to get launched in a decade of constant wars against its neighbours, to reconquer as many territories as possible from the crumbling Ottoman empire.

The design is very allegoric: Thetis (Greece) is carrying weapons to Achilles ,(children of Greece) to free the territories.Could this particular choice of design be a coincidence? Under the historical context of the time, I find that hard to believe.

The troubled finances of the country are also reflected on this coin in a certain way. The unfortunate war against Turkey in 1897 (over the island of Crete that finally gained a provisional independence the next year until the unification with the motherland in 1913), the financial mismanagement and the huge public debt,brought the economy of the new and poor Greek state to its knees.An international commitee (the then equivalent of today's IMF) took action and tight measures were taken in order to restore the drachma's legal tender status with the french franc and the other Latin Union currencies.. This was achieved by 1909 , but it's a long story and I'll leave it for another thread.

<< <i>I always have a feeling the reverse is badly worn >>

The high point of the design is that little thing in the center of the shield on the reverse.Cosmic's picture has captured some details that are very difficult to see, even under magnification and I believe that he agrees with me that ANACS has been extremely tough on this coin. Definetely an upgrade candidate for NGC standards and I wouldn't be surprised to see it as high as 61-62 due to its great eye-appeal.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside. Andorra makes a silver crown with a squirrel on it. PM me if you're interested in acquiring it image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."

• << <i>Welcome to the Darkside. Andorra makes a silver crown with a squirrel on it. PM me if you're interested in acquiring it image >>

This just gets better and better!!!!!!image

Thanks Guys!!!!