Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I hesitated and the collecting world lost ...

another card to PRO Grading.

Mantle PSA 5

I was watching this one and was thinking about buying the card. The buyer is one of PRO's biggest sellers, so it appears that this nice, solid 1959 Mantle PSA 5 could be crossed very soon to PRO.

I wonder what grade it will get ??? image
collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options

I think he could make a PRO 8 out of it.....maybe an 8.5imageimage

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    That's a damn shame. The Cracked Craniums need to pay this dude a visit!!!image
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    One less "collector grade" card to own ... image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he could make a PRO 8 out of it.....maybe an 8.5imageimage

Paul. >>

do y'all realize how many nice vintage cards are being destroyed every day? sheeesh.. makes me not even want to sell my raw cards cuz I'm afraid somebody's just gonna chop 'em up..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If anyone sees Gary listing a Pro 1969 Topps WL Mantle Card, please let me know. This one kills me, since I'd love to get a WL Mantle, and would have loved to have paid the $600 for this card had I seen it (I don't search for it often). Karma can't come fast enough for that SOB.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Bummer Sean. Makes me wonder if there are cards that we are looking to find and they do come up we should just find a way to buy them. This guy is taking these cards off the market.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Can he really get more for a PRO 9 than for a PSA 5 of that card? If so, that's crazy.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i saw this card for sale about 2 and a half years ago!!!! it was a stunner as far as centering then too!!!!!!!!!! Wow..what a loss!!!

lothar52
  • Options
    I hate seeing stuff like this happen, it really makes me wonder where the hobby will be in say the next 15-20 yearsimage
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    The guy bought a Psa 7 Red man Joe Black that I needed. I know how you feel. I hope I don't
    wind up rebuying it when it comes back an 8.image

aconte
  • Options
    looks like he was on a Mantle buying streak -- given the centering and width of the borders on this one, I think we are looking at a PRO GEM MINT in the very near future.

66Mantle
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    While I hate seeing people getting ripped off by buying these cards, I'd rather see them in PRO holders than raw out in the marketplace. We know to avoid PRO graded cards, but it can be harder to detect and avoid a trimmed raw card.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    For the buyer - it is really a no lose situation. He can buy PSA 5's and 6's all day that look like 9's but have a paper wrinkle on the back. The cost for professional restoration for a small job to remove the wrinkle will not be a lot. Than he can re-submit (sans wrinkle) to PSA, SGC, GAI and hope it gets through. Lately he has had quite a few SGC and GAI cards for sale as well as PSA. If it gets through he has an 8 or 9 and can make a nice profit, and if does not get through he can just send it to PRO and take his 9.
    He bought a perfect 61-62 Fleer basketball card from me that I thought was a 9 when I submitted it but it came back a 5 because of this tiny little indent on the back that was only visible on a certain angle. It would take very little to remove that indent and perhaps pull off a 9.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we'll be seeing it again after it goes on a diet. We'll be seeing a skinny '59 Mantle in a PRO 9 holder shortly.

I feel bad now. He won my miscut '69 Mike Shannon awhile back. I was hoping it would find it's way into a nice non-graded collector's set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's another thread - about 'another card off to the chop shop' with the same premise - got chewed on by glmueller for commenting - his contention is that "these people are just making a living" and that I was envious of the fact that I could not afford to bankroll an endeavor like this - this is not illegal and I need to chill - anyone got any ideas on this one?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>There's another thread - about 'another card off to the chop shop' with the same premise - got chewed on by glmueller for commenting - his contention is that "these people are just making a living" and that I was envious of the fact that I could not afford to bankroll an endeavor like this - this is not illegal and I need to chill - anyone got any ideas on this one? >>

People will use all kinds of excuses to justify ripping people off. Card doctors are no better than 2-bit con artists in my book. As far as I'm concerned, they're no different than the tele-evangelists that rip off little old ladies.
  • Options
    Agreed 100%

Unfortunately it is not illegal and nothing we can do about it.

Such a shame
  • Options
    Actually, it is illegal. To knowingly sell misrepresented items (IE: him trimming the cards, submitting them to PRO, then selling them regardless of the grade on the front of the PRO holder) would be fraud.

<< <i>Agreed 100%

Unfortunately it is not illegal and nothing we can do about it.

Such a shame >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, it is illegal. To knowingly sell misrepresented items (IE: him trimming the cards, submitting them to PRO, then selling them regardless of the grade on the front of the PRO holder) would be fraud. >>

I agree. I liken it to a car dealer rolling back the milage on a used car. If doctoring cards and misrepresenting them as unaltered is legal, I'd be very surprised. After all, WIWAG was arrested just for slipping lower grade cards in higher grade holders. Assuming those cards were unaltered, it was still against the law.
  • Options
    I am more and more p/o'd at this company and this seller. How can one begin the process to put PRO out of business?
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    with a big enough pry bar, any business can be knocked off it's foundation.

BOTR