Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Biloxi Show Report - Sunday Update Added

No, not Long Beach, Biloxi.

- Show was decently attended, but far from crowded.
- PCI was grading--I saw their poster stating they were on site grading, but no table. On the way out, I spotted them outside the main room.
- Dealers were buying. I sold $98/80 in 90% silver for 4.1 times face. Seamed like a good sell rate with silver at $6.25, melt value is about 4.4 times face. Also sold three $5G CVC Commems.
- Strong Interest in PCGS gold (didn't ask about NGC). I need to decide if I will sell my MS64 Saint and MS63 Lib. Both should bring a little over $700. If I choose to sell them....
- Very little pre-1878 coins available in respectable slabs. Did see a 1799 dollar in VF30, an AU Reeded edge half, and a nice AU58 1857 obverse cud Flying Eagle, and a few others.
- I viewed my first 72 Type 2 Ike. Dennis Beasley had multiple from circulated grades to MS. He offered one (he wanted $200 to sell) in trade for the 1886 MS65 toned Morgan I posted a couple weeks back. No deal.
- Loads of PCI slabs. A few ACG & SEGS. Barely any SGS or NTC. Good supply of PCGS & NGC slabs. Many Morgans, including an 1880-S MS68. Most dealers with gold did not seam to have a lot. Most PCGS/NGC slabs were Morgans or 1930 to 1964 coins.
- Thought about pulling the trigger on an 1876-S seated half in AU58.
- Bought a neat old stock certificate from the Lakawanna Railroad. My family has visited there, so kind of neat to own.
- No luck buying 2.5x2.5 mylar flips.... the supply guy only had 2x2 ones.
- No one chose to carpool from Keeslerimage all of 2 miles.
- Bought my son (his $) a MS63 Peace Dollar, lightly toned, for $28.

Going back tomorrow with an MS70 & MS69 $5G CVC, a little more 90% silver, MS raw Washingtons, modern commems raw & slabbed gold.
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Thanks for the report!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Just curious, was there much original pre 1930 coinage or just a bunch of cleaned crap?

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Morgans, Gold, early Lincolns, a few Indians Cents, MS Barbers, yes.

Not much in seated and bust.

But there was an NGC MS64 1804 4 berries dime. Super nice, $13K price on it.
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post the update!
  • Options
    PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Thanks for checking on the flips Brian. Did you drop anything off for PCI to grade? image
  • Options
    Thanks for the report
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please go back and buy that 1804 dime in MS64 at $13,000. An incredible bargain....even if an XF. I don't know of any other Mint State 1804 dimes in existence. Much rarer than the 1804 quarter and 1804 DOLLAR in choice condition.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I returned today, mainly trying to sell.

I sold...
    2001-W MS70 $5G CVC
    Three MS69 modern $5G Commems (often dealers won't come close to sheet on these. I sold a touch below sheet, but not much)
    More 90% Silver - Removed the lesser quality quarters from a duplicate #2 quarter folder
    Dozen Mint Sets
    Raw Modern Commems 10 percent under bid

I bought...nothing, but looked closely at a 1876-S AU58 Seated half. Dealer wanted $230 (AU $135, MS60 $275). The coin was decent, but not the wow so close to MS you often get on PCGS AU58 coins. It wasn't hard to spot the wear on the leg. I would have gone about $210 for it.

Show was VERY slow. A few dealers never even set up, about half were gone or packing by 2PM. Superbowl at 5 after all!

Goose, message on the FE cent delivered. The number we discussed was correct. Not a bad buy if youy take it.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Sounds decent for a local show.
    It was so cold wet rainy & nasty so I decided to just stay in Alabama.
    Plus I'm still recovering from all the $$ I spent at my club's show the other week.
    We had a great show, about twice the dealers that were at the show me & you went to in Mobile that time.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    any other grading services there besides pci?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Thanks for the update. All of these reports help to fill in the puzzle

of where the market may be heading.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights