Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Think this can go 67?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have had this old rattler for a long time. Think it has a chance to cross to 67?
imageimage
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    JRocco, do I see green colors around the word "UNITED" on the reverse and above the indians head on the obverse?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a terrific coin! I like it but I am not sure it will go 67. The obverse is really attractive and it could carry the coin to a 67. This is a tough call.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    My concern about the green color is that it's PVC damage. If so, then you've got problem.

However, even if there is no green, I don't think this would go 67. 1913 Type 1 buffalos almost always have outstanding technical attributes (great stikes and clean surfaces) as well as frosty luster. I have a PCGS MS65 with a better strike and cleaner surfaces than the one pictured above (though not as lustrous) and I have a PCGS MS66 with better luster and similar surfaces to the one pictured above (though not as well struck).

In my experience, the difference between MS66 and MS67 is color. MS67's usually have beautiful color whereas MS66's have typical nickel colors despite their other outstanding attributes.

• Options
    Hi Shamika, no there isn't any pvc damage on the coin. There is some slight toning on the reverse (you have a good eye) but it doesn't break the luster. The green I can also see on the obverse in this pic isn't on the coin. The strike is a little weak on LIBERTY and that is the only thing I see that may hold this back. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    I was going to mention the weakness on the word liberty but you beat me to it.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I don't think so.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a triangular shaped spot on the Indian's chin. It may be just something in the photo. Very clean and blasty coin which seems like an excellent candidate for upgrading. You have nothing to lose but $25 for a regrade try.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the 67, for the reasons mentioned. I would at least get it reholdered, though. Those rattlers are an eyesore!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you dare reholder that coin without getting an upgrade. A HUGE mistake!

Those old ugly rattlers are a thing of beauty!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    The spot on the chin is actually a bit of tarnishing roadrunner. The only negs I see besides the weak strike on LIBERTY is one small nick on each feather, 1 really small hit on the chin to the left of the tarnish, and 1 small hit on the reverse just in front of the rear flank(looking thru a 20 loop). Anything else in this pic is on the plastic. Otherwise a really clean coin.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't you dare reholder that coin without getting an upgrade. A HUGE mistake!

Those old ugly rattlers are a thing of beauty! >>

I agree completely, I wouldn't reholder it unless it upgraded. Luster is very hard to capture, but that's very important for an upgrade, more important than strike. I imagine the coin is much nicer in hand.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Although I don't think you have a chance at 67, I will say that LIBERTY is not poorly struck as stated by others. In fact, I'd say that it's well struck for the date.

Prior to 1916, all buffalos displayed a weak LIBERTY. That's why in 1916 the mint modified the dies (yet again) to strenthen it.

• Options
    Beautiful coin but are there two little slash marks on the buffalo's legs? I am no expert but I'd say keep it in the same holder and dont waste your money sending it in.
    A newbie to collecting...but recognize the value of PCGS grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file