Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grumpy Dealers

I just got back from Long Beach, which is about 100 miles away from my house. Now I realize that those who have been working this show may be a little tired, but I was surprised how many grumpy dealers there were. I tried to strike up a conversation with a couple of them who live close to where I live and was given the cold shoulder for the most part. Well, the only person who saw any of my cash were the folks who had a smile for me.

What is it with these grumpy dealers? Don't they realize that half of any sale is just making the client feel comfortable?

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Was stman dealing?????

he's a grumpy ol grump!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    ealandg
    Life is short. Deal with folks who will treat you well if you treat them well. There's plenty of them.
    Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was stman dealing?????

he's a grumpy ol grump! >>

Heh.... What's shocking is lately these days when I'm at a show, most dealers are not grumpy with me. I still think it's my charming personality but some folks disagree. Truthfully? I kind of miss them being grumpy with me as then I can open up on them. BTW, I am not a dealer.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I don't know any of the dealers, except the ones from my area, this being my first show.

It could be because I am a 33 year old woman, not a grumpy old man, too.

Anyhow, for those of you who are dealers, try smiling once in awhile, even if it feels a little unnatural. I was very interested in a draped bust half dime in XF. That was a couple of grand sale lost because the guy wouldn't say "howdy".

I will only deal with sellers who are friendly.
  • Options

<< <i>It could be because I am a 33 year old woman, not a grumpy old man, too. >>

Say what? You calling me a grumpy old man? imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>It could be because I am a 33 year old woman, >>

I look those grumps straight into their eyes.... till little beads of sweat start up......

I 'll tell you the truth, at a past Long Beach show some dealer gave me the cold shoulder....

I had one of my partners show him a very large sum of money, and I told him, your loss, somebody else's gain.....

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I am not a dealer. >>

Really? You've given me the buisness a few times!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Let's face it, many old men ARE grumpy! Anyone care to explain this fact? Oh yea, picked up a nice collection last week. All the Silver Proof Ikes, some Indian cents, one nice large cent 1845, shield nickels, Libertyhead nickels, Barber dimes. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this being my first show. >>

Ah, that explains why you encountered so many grumpy ones. You don't understand the correct approach. As you head toward a dealer's table, making sure they clearly see you coming, pull out a very thick stack of $100 bills and pretend you're checking to see how much you have with you. Then they'll be so pleasant it'll make you want to puke.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW, I am not a dealer. >>

Really? You've given me the buisness a few times! >>

Heh, you know what the definition of a good secretary is???????
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Well next time take along with the bear. I eat grumpy dealers for breakfast.

With laura ,I make an exception and give her a hug. I pretty much stick with Forum

members who are dealers or work for large firms like Legend, Larry Whitlow, Larry Shephard, Anaconda

Pinnacle ect. They are always polite and helpful no matter how busy they may be. Ok, so maybe they growl

once in a while. But If we didnt have time for the bathroom all day, I guess we would growl too.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    "It could be because I am a 33 year old woman, not a grumpy old man, too."

I'll deal with you!!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ealandg,

Don't let them spoil your fun. Most dealers are in the wrong business and should be working in the basement of a building where they would have zero contact with the public. However, a little in their defense, sit behind a dealer's table at a show and you will see all the BS they have to put up with and maybe you can appreciate their less than cordial attitude. Not making excuses for them but I did it once and got a new perspective.

Try asking friends/forum memebers who they deal with and you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some Dealers can be grumpy... don't let them get you down. There are plenty of dealers with decent coins. Buy from those that appreciate your business and understand the type of coins that you are seeking to purchase. I have found it is helpful to bring one coin of a series that you collect to the show for purposes of showing it to dealers... why? Because it illustrates the type of coins in the approximate grade that you prefer as a collector and it demonstrates that you are serious... try it at the next show you attend and see what happens.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I understand what you mean enlandg, I have run into this myself. I am a different looking man. Long hair, beard, face harded by the wind. I do get the cold shoulder many times. So they don't get any of my money. I will ask for something and most of the time they say they have none. So then I choose a box that I see, (point to it) does not matter if I collect the series or not. I hold up a chair and a spot for aleast 20 minutes. I lope each coin. Readjust the light. Change glasses. Say thanks and walk away.

It may not be the right thing to do. But I am just too hard of a guy. Sometimes I think dealers go to the show to see other dealers. I understand this as well. They need inventory to sell, but it seems to me that if they have worn themselves out dealing with other dealers, isn't the collector the person they were dealing for???

Oh just to add, my manner and personality is very outgoing. I am a teacher, a biker, a person that loves interaction with others. I like to haggle, but understand if the price quoted is the price. I can accept that too. But most of all, I love coins. This is why I go to shows. I love the dealers that understand the love of the hobby. Of the dealers I know, if I see something that is cool and would like see, they don't mind showing it to me and giving me a lesson on it. They know full well I won't buy it, not today, but they understand maybe someday.

It is for the love of the hobby that drives me. I refuse to let others kill my drive. If they don't want to deal with me, there are many others that will.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about it. Most are sole-proprietors because they don't have the personality to survive in a civilized culture that requires cooperation with others.....what else could they do for a living??.....Forum members are of course a happy exception.....imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Hi Kuch. You said; "Let's face it, many old men ARE grumpy! Anyone care to explain this fact?" When a person lives life over many years they can become very disillusioned. Missed opportunities, unfulfilled dreams, repeatedly tasting the bitter fruit of life's various hurts and sorrows, etc. Grumpy people are usually dissatisfied people. They are usually very lonely people too. Often, they have given up on trying to find elusive joy because the pursuit of happiness almost always carries the risk of being hurt along the way (something that grumps try to avoid at all cost). A grumpy demeanor could be the result of experiencing too much of these disappointments.

I agree with ealandg's strategy of not doing business with grumpy people. However, on the "humanity" side, I've seen wonders occur by R-E-A-C-H-ing out to Grumpy people. We all carry some hurt and baggage. Some of us just wear it better than others. Sometimes the Grump in front of you is a potential best friend in waiting. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options

<< <i>Most are sole-proprietors because they don't have the personality to survive in a civilized culture that requires cooperation with others..... >>

Hey! I've been a sole proprietor for over 14 years.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    "We all carry some hurt and baggage. Some of us just wear it better than others. Sometimes the Grump in front of you is a potential best friend in waiting."

Matteproof, I like what you've said. This is so true.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ:

Like I said, forum members are a happy exceptionimageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Geez, Tim, I give you a free shot and you pass it up! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, what is the going price of a pound of sole!image

I am surprised that dealers at shows would not try and make a decent profit off a sale. They probably are grumpy from fighting each other over greysheet prices and what they think it really is worth! They stab each other in the back so much that they look like a pack of porcupines!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options

<< <i>"We all carry some hurt and baggage. Some of us just wear it better than others. Sometimes the Grump in front of you is a potential best friend in waiting."

Matteproof, I like what you've said. This is so true. >>

Hi Shamika. Thank you! image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    It's not that they were grumpy, they were just stunned because they see so few women at coin shows!

But on a serious note: I make a point of only dealing with dealers I like and trust; life is too short and there are too many coin dealers to make dealing with someone you don't like worthwhile.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    They were probably mad at not finding any new coins to sell.
  • Options
    Ditto to matteproof, I'll be reaching out to those that are or will be grumpy.
  • Options
    Stay away from those grumpy old dealers and stop by our table, we're a little more fiesty. We're younger (at 38) than most and we like to make it fun.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stay away from those grumpy old dealers and stop by our table, we're a little more fiesty. We're younger (at 38) than most and we like to make it fun. >>

I can vouch for this. I had the pleasure of meeting Jared today and buying a nice Morgan from him. He's not grumpy at all.
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Ealandg,

Just say NO thank you to grumpy dealers. There are plenty of fine, courteous dealers with excellent material; the grumps aren't worth the time of day. image
  • Options

<< <i>Ditto to matteproof, I'll be reaching out to those that are or will be grumpy. >>

Hi Kuch. I suspect many of the younger dudes will get their soon enough (if not already). We have a mission to bring them all back into the "happy" fold. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    I would guess that it's a control drama. Too long to get in to, but being grumpy can be one form of many tactics people use to control various situations.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file