Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jester's Challenge #201

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

Inspired by many others here on the Darkside forum, I'd like to present what I hope will turn into a great learning experience for all of us. Many members on this World and Ancient Coin Forum have done a formidable job of sharing with us many fascinating and historically important coins. Since looking at coins is also one of my greatest pleasures, I'd like to try to follow in that time-honored tradition and submit for your pleasure and entertainment some world coins I've come across in my short lifetime.

I will pick out a coin on a regular basis, and post it along with the challenge to you to name the coin, its provenance, denomination, metallic content, mintage, any distinguishing characteristics or noteworthy features, and its value. The more information, the better. I'd like as many people as possible to participate, regardless of how little knowledge you might have on the subject. I appreciate comments on every aspect of the coin, including its history, or its role in human history, or info on similar coins in its series, etc. I myself don't presume to know 1/1000 of what you collectively know, hence my challenge to all of you to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Hopefully this exercise will encourage thought, discussion, and most importantly, more friendship.

Thanks for your participation!!!

Here is the two hundred first selection:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Gee, is it a 1994 South Africa 5 Rand?

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Man, PipeDream! What have you been smokin'???image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    In all seriousness, I don't know anything about the coin, but I think it's really sharp. It looks prooflike if not proof.

• Options
    YOU WIN!!!!!

It is indeed as you describe. See, here you don't have to know anything in order to participate. Ain't it great??!!!

It is proof, by the way. It has some funny striations though, and I don't know how common that is with these coins. Perhaps some experts can enlighten....oops....endarken us.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think it might be a special 5 rand.. one commemorating a Presidential Inauguration, maybe?? image

Some massive floes on that coin! (that's the right lingo isn't it??) Nice image

edit: slow on posting here image oh well
  • Options
    The striations are on my circulation strike as well, to a smaller degree. Probably from the 'deep dish' central design striking.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Spoon, I've gotta hand it to you---you're sharp!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Interesting and very unusual comm. coin! and I like it , because I see an anchor on coat of arms---that means that the scan is really good!image
    N. N.
  • Options
    Nick, you crack me up image with your affinity for all things maritime!!!! Thanks for the comments!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    <Nick, you crack me up with your affinity for all things maritime!!!! >

In my case it works only with coins, Mike (I think, that in real life I'll suffer from "sea disease" in any boat I'll take to try it imageimageimage
    N. N.
  • Options
    I remember when I was 10 years old and my dad had moved to Washington, D.C., he decided to buy a small (7meter) sailboat for the family. Of course, that meant that we had the great privelege and pleasure to go to the docks every weekend and clean/refurbish the boat. Boy did I hate that!!! Scrubbing barnacles off the underside of the hull was NOT my idea of fun. We did actually get to sail the boat a few times the next summer.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD