Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Terrible loss in my little town

There was a terrible loss here in my little town. One of our clients is an antique dealer and had a three story, turn of the century, old knife factory here with all kinds of antiques and coins in it. Well, late Wednesday morning it caught fire and burned to the ground. They had 30 fire departments there from Maine and New Hampshire to fight it. But because of the strong winds and the nearby river being frozen over they didn't have enough water to fight the fire. So they just protected the other structures nearby and let it burn. What a loss! From what I understand he had a lot of pre-modern coins in that building as well as other vintage items. The building had no wiring and it's still unknown what caused the blaze. The place was a total loss! I told my wife that when they remove the debris I should scan the area with a metal detector and see what I come up withimage

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That's very sad news, MSD.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>I should scan the area with a metal detector and see what I come up with >>

Their loss is your gain
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is another reminder that things made by man tend to disappear about
    1% each year. Sorry to hear of the loss. Hope, at least, it was insured.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Terrible news.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

• Options
    MSD61, Sorry to hear of the loss. If it makes you feel better, our small town lost a 16yr old girl in a car accident this week.image
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sad story that hopefully will a better ending. Hopefully the building and contents were insured...sorry to read about this.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It is always sad when a repository of historic objects is lost to the community.

Its like losing a part of our past and a part of ourselves. There is some solice in the fact

that no one was killed or injured in the fire.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>I told my wife that when they remove the debris I should scan the area with a metal detector and see what I come up with >>

Just remember that artifacts/coins would still belong to the previous owner un less you get pemission from him to search and keep what you find. Also it might be a good idea to talk to the owner and do some searching BEFORE things are cleared away. After my fire I recovered a lot of material from the ashes that would have gone to the dump if I hadn't kept a tight rein on the firemen/insurance adjuster/arson inspector . . .
  • Options
    I concur with Conder101!! image
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I would never do that..not only is he a client of our business he is also a friend. My wife and I found out that he did not insure that building and all it's contents. I guess he figured that if there was no wiring or flammable items stored there he had no worries. I can't understand this at all. Myself and a few of us are going to the site today to help him salvage any items.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file