Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A French Coin I just picked up.

I Like these Gold coins image

Walt

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, Napoleon... That's the kind of coin I'd end up buying for my mother. She's a big fan of Napoleon.
  • Options
    Old gold at thatimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Who's that Napoleon guy anyway?image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Nice one Izzy! image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Thanks all.
    Anyone have a gold sovereign 1902 t o 1910 London mint only, MS , for sale ? Or know where one is at ?

Thanks
    Walt
  • Options
    Very nice coin. image

Edward VII Sovereigns are deceptively difficult to obtain in UNC or better condition and they disappear very quickly when they do show up.

It seems easier to pick up the matte proof than a high grade circulation example.
  • Options
    Dont I know it ! image

Walt image
  • Options

<< <i>I Like these Gold coins image

Walt >>

Hey Walt - you keep goin after that English stuff and leave my French coins alone. I got enough competition as it is image

Another nice one Walt - you're beginning to make me envious again image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    Hey Doug, Just one more French one. Im looking for a Louie 18th .image You know I have to buy something, those sovereigns are hard to locate.image

Take care
    Walt
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Don't know much about that coin, but I like it. Congrats image
  • Options

1812???

Couldn't you afford to get a nice new one?

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    That's a beauty, Walt. What are the dimensions on that piece?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Thanks John,
    Design Specifications
    Minted 1809-1815
    Gold content 0.1867 oz.
    Size 21 mm diameter
    By the way you have any luck finding those sovereign ?

Walt image
  • Options

<< <i>Couldn't you afford to get a nice new one? >>

The used ones are a good deal right now! Picked up one from 1811 for less than melt the other day. Go figure...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    By the way you have any luck finding those sovereigns ?

None whatsoever. I ordered a handful of raw ones from three different dealers and they were ALL harshly cleaned. image

I sent them all back.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I have 2 in for grading at pcgs, they look pretty good to me but pcgs is hard on gold. Maybe I'll get lucky and get
    a MS out of it image

Walt
  • Options
    Vern, Nice pickup on that 1811. Got any pics ?

Walt image
  • Options
    Not yet, everything I get goes into a photo box; first in, first out. It's about a hundred back at the moment... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Doug, Just one more French one. Im looking for a Louie 18th .image You know I have to buy something, those sovereigns are hard to locate.image

Take care
    Walt >>

Walt - which Louie 18th are you looking for - 20f - 40f - 50f - 100f ?? I see 'em all the time. Lemme know and I'll drop you a line when I see one image

And those sovereigns aren't hard to find - the dang things are comin out of the woodwork image
  • Options
    And those sovereigns aren't hard to find - the dang things are comin out of the woodwork

Hey Doug, izzy and I were talking specifically about the Edward VII Sovereigns minted in London. It's true, you can get raw ones from a lot of dealers, but getting them in MS, and nice enough for a registry set is another matter. Granted, I haven't tried very hard yet, but the handful I got last month were in grades around EF, and there were two AU sliders that had been whizzed and advertised as BU.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    John, I Pm'ed Doug about that "coming out of the woodwork" I told him, yes but they look like the termites got to them before they came out of the woodwork image I beleive he was just kiddin around when he said that.

Walt image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps this isn't the case any longer, but I bought a small group of Gem BU sovereigns 7-8 years ago, as bullion coins, and among them were Eddie VII pieces. I wish now I hadn't sold them for bullion 5 years ago. The same goes for the pile of Swiss Helvetias I bought for bullion that were exquisite. Oh well.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Hiya Jester, Do you recall if they were from the London Mint? Seems these are even harder to find. I see many minted in Australia but few in London.

Walt

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, Walt, I don't remember.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    The London Mint Edward VII Sovereigns are definitely harder to find than the ones minted in Melbourne. I came across a number of the Australian examples already slabbed by either PCGS or NGC in some degree of MS.

We ARE watching you.

• Options

<< <i>The London Mint Edward VII Sovereigns are definitely harder to find than the ones minted in Melbourne. I came across a number of the Australian examples already slabbed by either PCGS or NGC in some degree of MS. >>

London and Melbourne sovs are generally very well struck coins, and are the easiest to find in MS. Sydney and Perth are a different story, and can vary a great deal from year to year. When you combine poor strikes with the bagging and handling marks , it makes it very hard.

Unc coins (around MS 62 ) are not especially difficult to obtain but do require patience, Choice Unc ( MS 63-64 ) are very hard to find, been looking for a Perth one for a while

As for BU ( Gem or MS 65+ ) be wary of any such claims on all sovs pre-1932, as manufacturing and handling methods virtually assured that they are a extremely rare find.
  • Options
    Well, like I said, I haven't been trying very hard.

Too busy buying Polish coins....

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I have, and not with much luck. Cruzi, if you see one let me know.image

Walt image
  • Options
    I sent you a PM back Walt - included links to a half dozen or so MS sov & half sovs - all slabbed image And you guys didn't specify mint marks and dates and such - you just said MS. If you're gonna get picky - at least let me know imageimage
  • Options
    Doug, thanks for the links. But now you know the whole story image

Take care
    Walt image