Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Analysis - recent/future Dollar & Gold trends

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
Generally, gold and the Dollar move in opposite directions. What that in mind, I offer my analysis of the recent past and future trends:

A couple weeks ago, the US trade deficit number for the month came in at 38 billion - somewhat lower than the expected 41 billion. This was seen as a (rather poor) excuse to sell gold. The thinking was that the decline of the US Dollar would slow. That consensus was incorrect. The trade deficit was lower mostly because the Chinese went on a buying spree for US commodities and aircraft. The fact that the Chinese didn't want to keep those extra dollars does not bode well for the future strength of the Dollar. Gold sold off on the erroneous fundamental analysis, only to recover the following week when people came back to their senses.

Then the recent (very subtle) change of wording in the Federal Reserve report spooked everyone. Again, gold sold off for all the wrong reasons. Upward pressure on interest rates will indicate that the government is having trouble moving all it's Treasury Bonds. That situation will not bode well for the strength of the Dollar. But gold sold off heavily. It has now stabilized, and will move up shortly as people come back to their senses.

Lost in all of this was the recently announced record US budget deficit. That is what will be the REAL fundamental factor driving the market.

Also lost in the details is how Japan's record currency intervention actually seems to be driving both the Yen AND the Dollar lower together. No matter how much Japan intervenes, the Dollar seems to decline MORE than the Yen. That does not bode well for the strength of the Dollar.

A huge trade deficit alone does not necessarily mean there will be inflation/deflation or a weaker dollar (at least, not initially).

A huge government budget deficit alone does not necessarily mean there will be inflation/deflation or a weaker dollar (at least, not initially).

However, the following is what will ultimately determine the fate of the dollar:

When the government runs a budget deficit, they actually desire an equal (or greater) trade deficit. Why ? Because they need other countries to purchase the Treasury Bonds (government debt). And those countries are a lot more likely to do that when they've accumultated the excess dollars to do so.

During the 1970's, the trade deficit was minimal (or even a surplus), while the government budget deficit was increasing rapidly. The Dollar got weaker !

During the mid to late 1990's, the government ran a (relatively) mild budget deficit, while the trade deficit grew considerably. The dollar got stronger ! That IS, right there, the secret essence of the so-called "strong dollar policy".

Since 2001 or so, the trade deficit has climbed, but the government budget deficits have climbed much faster. The Dollar has gotten weaker !

THE KEY is this :

If the government budget deficit is larger than the trade deficit, then the dollar will drop (perhaps severely).

Recent indications are that the trade deficit is stabilizing (or even declining) while the government budget deficit is exploding. That does not bode well for the strength of the Dollar.

Comments

• Options
    Hello -- I follow your arguments and reasoning. But by the end of your post, you are no longer discussing gold. How does gold figure into this line of reasoning, in your opinion?
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello -- I follow your arguments and reasoning. But by the end of your post, you are no longer discussing gold. How does gold figure into this line of reasoning, in your opinion? >>

Simply that when the dollar goes down, gold goes up. A lower dollar is "inflationary", as a weaker dollar buys less and the price of everything goes up (as measured in dollars). As the dollar declines other countries may look to increase their reserve holdings of gold and other currencies, and decrease their reserve holdings of dollars. One currency that is gaining favor in reserves is the Euro. It is more gold friendly than the dollar - and it has, at least, some limited gold backing.

I think we are headed into an inflationary situation, but with little job growth. I believe that is traditionally defined as "stagflation" (although this time it could be hyper-stagflation).
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad to have you back DCarr to fight off the forces of the evil paper empire and its constituents.

Anyone notice that the Japanese have gone hyper-critical in helping to support our sagging dollar? They purchased 67 BILLION worth in the past 30 days and something like 180 BILLION over the past 5 months. Way to go guys helping to prop of that dollar. Is this anyway to run an economy? You bet it is. Those guys are more patriotic than Americans.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Good to see you posting dcarr. I remember seeing some designs you did for the state quarters, have any of your designs been accepted ? The ones I saw were impressive.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent analysis. Governments have little direct ability to control their
    currencies any more except by changing fundamentals and interest rates.

Gold will resume its climb and there will be some inflation to monetize at
    least some of the debt. With the improving economy and soaring produc-
    tivity there is likely to be lots of job growth in the future also. Inflation
    could become serious but this is not inevitable.

The dollar will fall until the trade deficit narrows significantly.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I agree completely that the gold value in US$ will be going up - not because gold is necessarily going up but the dollar is going down

So do you feel they are hoping to inflate their way out of budget deficits and trade deficits? how can this continue for extended periods of time (although it seems to have for the past 40 years)

If the US$ keeps dropping, maybe the US to overseas jobs will return to the US
  • Options
    Personally I think the inflation will be more the result of several factors: The most im-
    portant being the governments current expansion of money to stave off deflation, the
    increased velocity of money as the economy improves, the chasing of too few goods
    with too much money, and the freedom in pricing conferred by the decrease in imports
    resulting from the lower dollar. The government debt isn't a huge problem due to its
    magnitude but the aggregate debt is becoming troublesome. The fed will not be quick
    to try to head off inflation at least in the early days. While job growth will improve it
    will not necessarily be robust so it may be politically expedient to allow a little inflation
    rather than increase interest rates and stifle job growth.

Demographic forces would also tend to point toward an increase in inflation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takes up to 60 years for slow abuse of a currency to destroy it although gross mismanagement can speed things to just a few years.

Great Britain took 35 years to harm their currency from the 1870's to the early 1900's.
    Greece 30 years under Alexander the Great to destroy the Greek currency and economy.
    The Roman Empire? That Empire had 9 lives. Incredible how it lasted despite its abuse of itself. Enough great Emperors to undo the work of inept emperors.
    The United States? Looks like we will see the 60 year timeline from 1970 to 2030. The slow abuse approach. 1969 was the last year of a true surplus in the federal budget not counting the surplus in the social security ponzi scheme.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>If the US$ keeps dropping, maybe the US to overseas jobs will return to the US >>

It doesn't take much for the other countries to devalue their currency too and this is only for countries that have delinked their currencies to the dollar. In the case of China, theirs is pegged to the dollar, if dollar falls, so does remnimbi. Its a zero sum game.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't go for Oreville's 60 year theory. The issue is not whether we have a national debt, the issue is how does that debt compare to the size of the GDP. Right now the national debt is still reasonably sized, though for how long with a 500B annual deficit remains to be seen......

It's kinda like credit card debt. If you make 100K a year and have 20K in credit card debt, it is not the best thing, but not necessarily a really bad situation either.

As for the dollar, this is a self correcting situation. Eventually the dollar gets so cheap that demand for American goods has to increase which in turn props up the dollar.
  • Options
    This may get me labeled as a bit crazy, I can assure you I am not, but.................

for what it's worth, my crystal ball says deflation in the next 2-3 years with an increase in small wars throughout the world, most of them involving Islam.

Eventually I see a major conflagration with the two world powers, that being the US and China. No, not world war, but a real mess that will require the finalization of the middle east ongoing crisis and Islam will have to be dealt with.

Dealt with in the sense of putting an end to those 60 million or so who believe that Islam is supposed to rule the world regardless of the death that will require. The UN will be finally reduced to the debating society that most of us know it to be and could cease to exist as we know it.

I don't mean to sound crazy here and I don't think we need to stock up on toilet paper and canned goods either. I do see a world of turmoil for the next 6 to 8 years and those of us in the US are very lucky to live here.

I'll leave the way that affects money and value to those better equipped than I to make judgements on what that would do. My guess would be a general devaluation of most everything once the dust settles.

The odds of an ice age approaching very quickly add another bizarre ingredient to the mix.

We do live in interesting times.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to follow-up on roadrunner's comment regarding the Japanese "Those guys are more patriotic than Americans."

This is an important point. For 50 years, the Japanese have recognized the value of our alliance, and for about half of that have been happy to buy dollars to support it. The arrangement has generally been beneficial to both parties.

Although I am not among those who tear and tremble at China's rising economic power, it is important to appreciate that the geopolitcial implications of having China as our major creditor are very different from those of Japan.

Regarding our deficit, it is very hard to guess how it will be unwound. Keep in mind that Japan's government deficit is vastly bigger than ours, but it is funded by internal savings. US demographics point to substantially increased savings. If we are to increase savings without causing the global economy to come to a grinding halt, China and Japan will need to pick up spending. Both will, inevitably, to some degree. My own guess is that over about a 20 year period, this will all more or less self-correct. At the end of this period, the US dollar is about where it is today in terms of relative value to other currencies, but it is no longer the reserve currency, with that role being replaced by a basket that includes the US dollar, the euro, the yen, and, ultimately, China's currency. The key to all this happening is a continued commitment to free markets, wise management by the Fed, resisting the tempation (shown equally by the two parties) to overpromise on welfare programs such as medicare, investment in fundamentals such as education, and increased savings. If boomers age wisely, this can all happen.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    Keep in mind that Japan's government deficit is vastly bigger than ours,

Do you mean deficit as in trading deficit with other countries, or governmental indebtedness? If the latter, the current U.S. debt is $7,010,088,657,339.47. If Japan's is "vastly" bigger than that, what in the heck is it -- how much bigger?
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    I recently heard that the Euro is backed by gold. Anyone know anything about this?

If so, it would look more attractive than our dollar which is backed by .......air?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    Sequiter -- Japan's National Debt, at around $ 5 trillion, is smaller in absolute terms than that of the US, but is significantly larger as a percentage of GDP. It is arguably more manageable, however, since it is funded internally. Japan is a net creditor nation.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    Deadhorse -- the euro is backed by the same stuff the dollar is -- faith in the economies of Europe and the wisdom of the central bankers.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    You're all crazy!

Paper and fiat are the greatest things since sliced bread! Gold is a terrible investment! I have paper and it's all good! Jim Cramer says so!

The talking heads on CNBC tell me that the sky's the limit. Maria wouldn't lie to me. The govt. has a "Strong Dollar" policy. Well by gum, that's good enough for me!

(I saw that Dollardude had yet to post on this thread and it just wouldn't be a PM thread without his "input")

SM1: Still long and strong in PM's.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Otis is wise!!! He's old, so he should be...image I'm long on paper money!!! Government fiat rules!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    The only time there is a real monetary crisis is when they run out of ink to print the stuff image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    "Wise management from the FED?" Now I've heard everything.

Be careful about comparing any of our published numbers, such as GDP, with anyone else's. These numbers are cooked and have little credibility. Our GDP is inflated by war manufacturing and ridiculous treatment of individual items such as computers. If you eliminate those, GDP is likely half of what is quoted. Same for the CPI and other indexes. Figure on a 50-100% error in the "accounting."
    And we have no idea how accurate the other guy's numbers are since we are all looking for the upper hand and want to quote the best possible numbers. Sound familiar....it was what the CFO's have been doing for the past dozen years.

roadrunner
  • Options
    I heard that the Government deliberately keeps the inflation rates low on the record. If they say the inflation is rising, then they will have to compensate for the rising inflation by raising the salaries of all the federal employees, raising social security payouts, military budget, inflation adjusted bonds... yada yada yada.

So there you have it. The inflation is low for a reason.

• Options
    Yes they do. It's no secret that all of the items that are explosive in price are not part of the CPI: energy (gas, oil, electricity), mortgages (home costs), tangibles, raw materials/commodities (soy, wheat, copper, pork, plywood, gold, steel, etc), grocery foods, stocks, real estate, higher education costs, health care, medicines, health insurance, taxes, labor costs for plumbers & auto mechanics, fees and services of all types, etc. Do you see a pattern here? Yeah, it's what we really spend our money on. And what does the CPI include? mainly durable goods that have a very slow and stable price structure: appliances (can't give those away), automobiles, computers (go down in price all the time), etc.

Maybe someone can explain to me why we need a PPI and a CPI?
    And the govt only seems to publicize the CPI.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Yes they do. It's no secret that all of the items that are explosive in price are not part of the CPI: energy (gas, oil, electricity), mortgages (home costs), tangibles, raw materials/commodities (soy, wheat, copper, pork, plywood, gold, steel, etc), grocery foods, stocks, real estate, higher education costs, health care, medicines, health insurance, taxes, labor costs for plumbers & auto mechanics, fees and services of all types, etc. Do you see a pattern here? Yeah, it's what we really spend our money on. And what does the CPI include? mainly durable goods that have a very slow and stable price structure: appliances (can't give those away), automobiles, computers (go down in price all the time), etc.

roadrunner
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    1969's budget was balanced because that was the *first* year to include Social Security taxes in it. It wasn't a real balanced budget any more than Clinton's projected surpluses were.

Secondly, lots of neat thoughts and theories in this thread about why gold will go higher. Why go to all that work? The stock prices and currency rates are moving against gold - i.e. people smarter and with better analysis tools are saying "lower." The uptrend is broken in the XAU, and I believe history shows that remaining Long is highly hazardous to one's account value. We all know gold goes way up and way down.

Why do people "like" gold enough to let their account balances prove that gold goes way down as well?

Personally, I'm Short and have been as posted here before. I felt like the likely return, combined with the market's action, indicated a substantial enough return to warrant a Short. I don't recommend shorting to everyone, but I taught myself to actively manage Risk in my portfolio. It ain't rocket science, just understand the ballpark you're playing in and let the account balance tell you if you're doing good or not!

• Options
    If deadhorse can worry about an iceage amongest "global warming", then I want to worry about the magnetic poles of the Earth flip flopping.
  • Options
    Fishcooker, I hope you mean your're short on the stock market and not gold? The current 9 month "trend" in stock is not based on any true change, unless you consider the money the govt has flooded the market with, the war in IRAQ, and the propping up of our economy by the Asians. These "changes" won't be around much longer as the 4th qtr drop in production has already shown. This "trend" upwards in stocks and the economy is the result of the FED pulling out every last stop they have to make it to November.
    I just don't see this as having any lasting strength. And despite all these shenanigans, gold has weathered the storm. Rather amazing actually.

roadrunner
  • Options

The current 9 month "trend" in stock is not based on any true change

Roadrunner, my account balance has changed plenty. In fact, I may take that unreal change and buy another new car - just haven't decided what suits us yet.

The only measure I have is account balance, because no other awards are given for being right. If the market returns to Dow 7500, then I'll try to profit on the way down. It certainly won't hurt my *feelings* if the market rises or falls from here.

Yes I'm short gold in the form of stocks. That's the easiest and cheapest way I've found to invest in gold. I don't *know* or *feel* that I'm right. The market is telling us gold is going lower. I don't know if gold is regressing to $395 or $305 - but historically I'm sure you know it has been very, very, bad to be Long when the market decides gold will fall. Then one gets into the "it can't go lower" thought process, which decimated Nasdaq investors.

If gold rises, so what? I'll turn around and be Long again. As long as I get in below where I sold out my account balance is happyimage
  • Options
    Fishcooker, I'm happy that your account balance has profited this year. That's good for you. However I'm not stating that your profits are not real, they are. But what made those profits is massive manipulation by the FED/govt and then sucking the common guy back into the 2000 Nasdaq-DOW "party" once again. Memories seem to be very short. I also hope you've taken your 30% profit and beat feet. The other partygoers have stayed way too long. Insiders (corporate) have been dumping stocks like crazy the past 6 months. We didn't solve our problem in 2003, that's my point. We merely manipulated things once again to defer the ultimate equilibrium. The solution is coming at us in the next 6-18 months whether invited or not.

roadrunner
  • Options

The only thing different from 2003 vs 2000, is that this time the stock investors should know better.

It is shameful to see the public so forgetful and forgiving. People are even back investing based on Operating Earnings! What a joke!

And forget "correct" earnings accounting in and of itself.......it don't and won't exist.

• Options
    Operating Earnings: you must mean that EBIT thing or what I like to refer to as RIBBIT or IBID. All mean about the same thing.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>Good to see you posting dcarr. I remember seeing some designs you did for the state quarters, have any of your designs been accepted ? The ones I saw were impressive. >>

Thanks,
    Since designing the New York & Rhode Island state quarters, and the Maine state quarter (sort of - long story), I've submitted designs to several states. But with the current design process, it is basically futile since the US Mint currently does not accept ANY artwork whatsover from outside the Mint. This includes states who are deciding what to put on their quarter. The Mint will only accept written (verbal) descriptions of the suggested themes - without artwork.

This will change somewhat with the Mint's new "Artistic Infusion" program. I applied for that program, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I thought they were going to decide who gets in by the end of January.

PS: You can see my new state quarter designs via the link below.
  • Options

<< <i>If deadhorse can worry about an iceage amongest "global warming", then I want to worry about the magnetic poles of the Earth flip flopping. >>

There is no global warming, please. This is a cyclical place and man has virtually no affect on it. The warming of the oceans is the trigger that creates ice ages.

Do a little research and avoid anything with a political bent to it. You might be surprised. We really are poised for an ice age within our lifetimes. Ocean levels are dropping, not rising in spite of all the left wing hand-wringers and Al Gore supporters.

What's so unusual about the magnetic poles flipping? It's happened hundreds of thousands of times before, it doesn't mean the Earth actually flips over, silly boy.

The Navy has tracked the movement of both the magnetic and true north poles for the last 40+ years and they are moving around quite rapidly. We just don't have anything to compare the phenomena to, so that makes any prediction inconclusive.

Got an expensive compass you're worried about?
  • Options

<< <i>Yes they do. It's no secret that all of the items that are explosive in price are not part of the CPI: energy (gas, oil, electricity), mortgages (home costs), tangibles, raw materials/commodities (soy, wheat, copper, pork, plywood, gold, steel, etc), grocery foods, stocks, real estate, higher education costs, health care, medicines, health insurance, taxes, labor costs for plumbers & auto mechanics, fees and services of all types, etc. Do you see a pattern here? Yeah, it's what we really spend our money on. And what does the CPI include? mainly durable goods that have a very slow and stable price structure: appliances (can't give those away), automobiles, computers (go down in price all the time), etc.

roadrunner >>

Roadrunner, are you telling me the government cooks the books??

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I TELL YOU!!! What's next, no Easter Bunny this year? This is MADNESS. MADNESS, the sky is falling!!!.........now where is that sarcasm flag icon I've been looking for?
  • Options

<< <i>.

This will change somewhat with the Mint's new "Artistic Infusion" program. I applied for that program, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I thought they were going to decide who gets in by the end of January.

>>

Good luck. There will be some great designs if you get a shot at it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

There is no global warming, please. This is a cyclical place and man has virtually no affect on it. The warming of the oceans is the trigger that creates ice ages.

>>

It is certainly logical to assume that if the planet alternates between ice ages and more
    temperate climates then there must be a trigger which causes the change. It is also obvious
    that this trigger almost crtainly involves greater warmth. Of course CO2 appears to have
    some role and the magnetic field (which is about to shift) could also be a factor.

The new thinking is that ice ages occur suddenly when the ocean pushes large amount of
    warm water to high latitudes which creates trementous snow falls in Labrador and northern
    Asia. This snowfall is too excessive to even melt in the summer so great amounts of summer
    sunlight is reflected back into space causing a large drop in temperature and it immediately
    becomes a self reinforcing phenomenon.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Deadhorse global warming was in quotes and I was implying the warming was a rediculous thing to worry over. Trends of this magnitude are not measured in years or even decadesToss a coin 1,000 times if it comes up heads 4 times in a row it is not a relevent trend.
    I understand the poles flip about every 50,000 years or so. We are not sure what will happen in modern times. "it doesn't mean the Earth actually flips over" Interesting. This is the first place I have ever heard this. Certainly not in anything I said or implied.
    Lighten up it was a off hand comment image
  • Options
    Roadrunner --

Regarding the composition of the CPI, you are wrong. The CPI is composed of the following:

FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full service meals and snacks);
    HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture);
    APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry);
    TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance);
    MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services);
    RECREATION (televisions, cable television, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);
    EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);
    OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

Although there is room to debate the way the components are weighted, the method is fundamentally sound, and alternative calculation methods will give a generally similar result. Inflation has been low for the past ten years.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    Higashiyama,

I would tend to disagree with your assessment. Health Care and Medical Care could be totally different things. It really comes down to what the breakdown is. There are hundreds, no thousands of items in each category. It can be tweaked any number of ways.

Bottom line is that there is no shortage of highly price explosive goods and services that are not part of the index. I don't see soy,
    wheat, or pork bellies as part of the food equation and of course those have risen 20-30% this past year. Rents, but no mortgages, great idea. Does medical included the cost of HMO's to corporations
    or is this really only for those who see physicians on their own dimes? The price of HMO's to corporations has gone up a staggering amount the past few years. I'd like to see how they calculate tuition too. What type of schools are included? Where is room and board in the equation - why not a mix of those two?

By what you have listed I would say you have proven my point. About 2/3 or more of those items are somewhat price resistant. A much better mix would be to include volatile items. Do you spend more money each year on computer software or your car payments or services for your car?

roadrunner

• Options

<< <i>Lighten up it was a off hand comment image >>

Apologies Joeyuk, I'm so used to being flamed whenever we get into gold and economic threads that I reacted too quickly, we have a couple of nutjobs around here, my fault.

Again, nothing personal and you have my promise to read your posts much more closely in the future. image
  • Options
    Higashiyama, another interesting point is how the individual factors are each weighted and how the data is gathered. Lots of room to cook the numbers. If you read the fine print on the CPI web site you'll see that they are going to a "geometric average" rather than using the standard "arithmetic" average in Jan. 2004 on eye wear and some other basic expenses. This basically means that peaks (inflation) and valleys (deflation) get wiped out much more easily with a multiplicative - root function. And then further down the page they mention that the CPI in general shifted to a GEO MEAN AVE back around 1999. Gee whillikers, wouldn't that massage out all the peaks? You bet.

Try it with a simple 4 number sequence: 10, 10, 10, 30

To you and I the ave of this sequence is 15 (arith average).
    With a GEO MEAN the ave is the 4th root of 30x10x10x10=13.2
    When things don't deviate much the answers are the same. When things start to swing the geomean knocks down the peaks. This is a great tool for inflation forecasting. It's no wonder the govt started using it. One result shows a 50% deviation from norm and the other a 32% change.

roadrunner

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

It is certainly logical to assume that if the planet alternates between ice ages and more
    temperate climates then there must be a trigger which causes the change. It is also obvious
    that this trigger almost crtainly involves greater warmth. Of course CO2 appears to have
    some role and the magnetic field (which is about to shift) could also be a factor.

The new thinking is that ice ages occur suddenly when the ocean pushes large amount of
    warm water to high latitudes which creates trementous snow falls in Labrador and northern
    Asia. This snowfall is too excessive to even melt in the summer so great amounts of summer
    sunlight is reflected back into space causing a large drop in temperature and it immediately
    becomes a self reinforcing phenomenon. >>

Exactly correct and the cycle as far as we can tell is around 11,500 to 12,000 years. We are overdue and there are many indicators that such a thing is starting to develop.
  • Options
    You are right sometimes things can get tense around here. image No hard feelings
  • Options
    fishcooker: I thought the new way of reporting federal budgets ocurred in 1971?
  • Options
    Oreville, my good man you are correct!

Federal budget was a surplus in 1969, separate from Social Security.

Apparently there was an extra income tax for the purpose of funding war in Vietnam.
  • Options
    Fishcooker: My fellow Republicans have been milking that one last measly year of real surplus as if somehow only Republicans can now trademark surpluses.

It is a shame on both political parties that fiscal discipline is not a bi-partisan effort.
  • Options
    Oreville -- I appreciate your recognition that America's spending spree is a bi-partisan effort. People are slowly waking up to this reality, but there is still a fair amount of denial. In fact, it is more a cultural thing than a partisan things -- in the end, we have only ourselves to blame.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You're absolutely right. Americans deserve what we are getting. And we are going to get it good and hard.

Vote Libertarian.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

I think people look to politicians to lead Forward, not maintain status quo or return to a past.

The easiest way to lead forward is to spend money - especially when it ain't yours!
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    A very interesting and thoughtful thread.
    Monitary policy and macroecconomics are tough disciplines.
    Projecting gold prices are not any easier.
    I found the discusions in general reasonable and more free of the philosophical biases that usually color the topic. From an investment perspective it doesn't matter what you want to happen but rather what is likely to happen and when. Unfortunately what needs to be long term policy becomes short term speculation and often in undercapitalized and leveraged positions.
    Been there, done that, and not always as successful as anticipated.
    Good luck to you experts and hopefuls.

Trime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file