Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die breaks/Die cracks still an area of interest?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
For years I have been collecting these varieties (and still do). Are there still die break collectors out there? I remember when LII, IIB,BIE etc were collectable, are they still or is it just me (I know I opened the door for wisecracks)?
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find coins with these features more appealing and see the coin as having more character. I like die cracks & other little "mint-made"
    imperfections like clashed dies. That is as long as they don't amount to having "Mint Error" put on the slab. I don't know if they command
    any premiums though.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    This area of collecting may need a shot in the arm. We need more people to come out with their pieces
    to keep some interest generated so that others may also find the joy in collecting mint errors and or varieties.

Some of these are not that common so you would think that when one is found it would be reason to
    hoot and hollar.
    I found a nice BIE variety a year or so ago. Its somewhere in my stash but cant remember where the heck
    I put the thing. Gonna be fun trying to recover that one with all the cents I have? Whew!!!

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey cam40 check this one out. A lam break under Lincoln's eye that looks like a giant teardrop. This lam break is awesome.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I like 'em, but then again my main focus is Liberty Seated Halves........... With the limited # of dies used for the production, I find it interesting to follow the dies progressive deterioration, and die cracks make this easy........... Also invaluable for determining die marriages........ Sometimes its possible to match 1 everse die with 2-3-4 obverse dies or vice versa......... I think with modern cents however, this would be futile............. Keep Collecting............ It's about what YOU like !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broken hub error on the "S" (Shield nickel)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    You have some great stuff JRocco. Nice pics too.
    Nice pic too ms70.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file