Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Mystery "Medieval" Medal

I just received the uniface 44mm-diameter medal of the Last Supper shown below. Most unusually, it is hand-engraved and therefore unique. The seller feels pretty sure it was crafted in the Middle Ages and as early as AD 800, but no later than AD 1400-1500. The maturity of the work suggests to me a more recent date, ca. 1400-1700, not unlikely Renaissance-era. It is somewhat medieval in style, sort of like the engraved work of Dürer. The detail is simply fantastic and the artist is obviously a highly skilled engraver, probably having begun with wood-block carving, which might give it a German provenance since that was where this art reached its greatest maturity in Europe. Some aspects of the setting suggest an Italian influence, though. The detail is extraordinary for such a small working area, which the seller's picture does nothing to reveal. The seller thought it might possibly be Byzantine because of the style of Christ's halo, but I've seen this style throughout central and eastern Europe as well.

It looks like it had a silver color originally which has toned to a medium grey. I'm unsure of the metal, but it may be silver. It is lightweight, very thin (almost to the point of being sharp), and strong, but I haven't handled silver in such a form, so I can't say for sure that it is -- perhaps tin or nickel?. It is not silverplated. The medal is very slightly curved, and apparently by design (perhaps so Christ is the "high point" of the medal in more ways than one) since the reverse gives no evidence of a "ridge" where the ring-like impression is around the rim. The back is somewhat rough with no attempt to finish it. The circular ridge suggests it was once held in a bezel and perhaps worn as a pendant or badge. All-in-alll, a most intriguing piece!!

Anyone have any other thoughts that might help me nail its provenance down more fully?

Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image

Comments

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to get a closer look....
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    If I had the means, I would provide it. Hopefully I can carve out some time soon to decide which digital camera to buy and then experiment with it on this.
    Askari

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell from a photo, but the obverse toning suggests silver. It wouldn't be unusual for it to be as thin as a potato chip; virtually all of the coins from the 14th-16th centuries were like that (save for the higher denominations). I can't tell much about the artistic style, and therefor can't date it accurately. For example, in painting, you can generally tell if something was made before the 14th century due to lack of correct perspective. I wish I could see it up close. But even then anything I say will simply be a guess, and not a very educated one at that.

Do you think it was hammered, or cast? Very cool medal and thanks for sharing it with us!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    The "planchet" was cast, with one side polished to prepare it for engraving. The engraving is all hand-tooled.
    Askari

• The seller thought it might possibly be Byzantine because of the style of Christ's halo, but I've seen this style throughout central and eastern Europe as well.

There does seem to be elements of Da Vinci's "Last Supper". That would date it to post 1500. Byzantium fell in 1453.

PS: Art history is not my long suit...or short one for that matter.image
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Askari, that's very cool. Good luck.
  • Wow! That is some work of Art!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    There was a form of metal engraving that was particular to German monasteries around the time you're thinking.. I'm having a complete brain dump on it right now otherwise I'd offer up more info. But for now I'll just put my guess down as this. Hopefully I remember something later.. image

That is one awesome medal-sorta-thingy though! imageimage
    Thanks, guys!! image If you remember anything more, Eric, please let me know. I seem to vaguely recall something about it, but nothing any more specific.
    Askari