Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

10 Zlotych observation

I found a beat up red and clear plastic three pack of 10 Zlotych this Friday marked at ten dollars. The set was from 1964 and i was going to pass but grabbed them because two of the coins, while seeming identical, looked different from each other.

Under Peoples Republic Standard coinage, Y52 and Y52a on page 1712 of my 2003 Krause were easy to find. Differences on these 600th Anniversary Jagielo University are in the legends: the former raised and the latter incuse.
For a while I couldn't find the third coin, also a 10 Zlotych, then discovered it under PROBAS, PR#99 on page 1739., defined as rejected coin designs and with supposed mintages of no more than 500, distributed selectively to numismatists, banks, and museums. This one seemed to be the exception with a mintage of 30,000...image

Still, I learned a lot and while I didn't have time to image them last night, I will at some point today. There is still a value question in my mind as I think these are BU which the book gives no value for.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Keep up the good work, finding rare and obscure Polish coins!!! Give us pix so we can share in your excitement!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is still a value question in my mind as I think these are BU which the book gives no value for. >>

I run into this problem all the time so here's a rule of thumb for how I handle it:

For many of the old German coins I prefer the catalog only gives values though XF. To extrapolate for uncirculated coins I usually double the XF value and for GEM uncirculated coins double it again. It really has to be super to get that second doubling, though. Adjustments are made depending on personal experience with minors usually rounding down and crowns rounding up.

Maybe a similar method will work for you.

Still not a bad haul with the zlotych set.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    I got that set for $10 in '86, KM-52, 52a, Pr100?:
    imageimage
    The Proba piece in the center is NOT marked Proba. The incuse legend is on the right. The case is inscribed on the front in raised white on white lettering: 600th Anniversary University Jagiello (Eng. translation).
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Those are some cool coins. More eagles to look for for my eagle set.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cosmic, if you're looking for eagles, the products of the Polish mint are replete with cool examples.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Cool coins!! image

<< <i>For many of the old German coins I prefer the catalog only gives values though XF. To extrapolate for uncirculated coins I usually double the XF value and for GEM uncirculated coins double it again. It really has to be super to get that second doubling, though. Adjustments are made depending on personal experience with minors usually rounding down and crowns rounding up. >>

I have independently found this method works well for imperial German coins. AU prices are about the midpoint between XF & Unc., while Ch. Unc. is maybe 25-35% of the difference from Unc. to Gem.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image