Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A day late..... Any photos of coins from the period?

January 30

1649 King Charles I executed for treason

In London, King Charles I is beheaded for treason on January 30, 1649.

Charles ascended to the English throne in 1625 following the death of his father, King James I. In the first year of his reign, Charles offended his Protestant subjects by marrying Henrietta Maria, a Catholic French princess. He later responded to political opposition to his rule by dissolving Parliament on several occasions and in 1629 decided to rule entirely without Parliament. In 1642, the bitter struggle between king and Parliament for supremacy led to the outbreak of the first English civil war.

The Parliamentarians were led by Oliver Cromwell, whose formidable Ironsides force won an important victory against the king's Royalist forces at Marston Moor in 1644 and at Naseby in 1645. As a leader of the New Model Army in the second English civil war, Cromwell helped repel the Royalist invasion of Scotland, and in 1646 Charles surrendered to a Scottish army. In 1648, Charles was forced to appear before a high court controlled by his enemies, where he was convicted of treason and sentenced to death. Early in the next year, he was beheaded.

The monarchy was abolished, and Cromwell assumed control of the new English Commonwealth. In 1658, Cromwell died and was succeeded by his eldest son, Richard, who was forced to flee to France in the next year with the restoration of the monarchy and the crowning of Charles II, the son of Charles I. Oliver Cromwell was posthumously convicted of treason, and his body was disinterred from its tomb in Westminster Abbey and hanged from the gallows at Tyburn.

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Wayne, here are a few Charles I coins. Sorry I still can't post pictures.image

Sorry had to edit because I forgot to include pictures.image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> his body was disinterred from its tomb in Westminster Abbey and hanged from the gallows at Tyburn. >>

Geez, I hope the Dead King doesn't read this.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Right, even corpses aren't safe!!!!

But that should teach 'em not to play with the Stuarts!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I die I want to see the 'Python Collection'. Brett, you have some awesome coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Ajaan, thank you. I've seen you pick up some rather special coins yourself.
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Add me to the list that would love to view Brett's coins.image
    Joe
  • Options
    imageimageimage

Great Coins python!!!!!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    I have nothing of that era, but another nice window on the history of GB monarchs, and some great coins from Python...... Thanks!! image
  • Options
    Wanye, nice bit of information. I enjoyed this and your George III from the other day keep it up. image

Thanks for the nice comments you guys.
  • Options
    Great coinsimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> his body was disinterred from its tomb in Westminster Abbey and hanged from the gallows at Tyburn. >>

Geez, I hope the Dead King doesn't read this. >>

How do you think I got here? Dead kings don't dig themselves up ya know!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com