Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What could make this strong market for coins come to a grinding halt?

Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    Outside of a Independence Day type of alien invasion, I don't see it happening. Here is why. , Serious collectors are devoted to this hobby. We live in a stressful society, people need an outlet to relax. I find it more and more, that serious collectors, regardless of the passion, do not compromise on those things that allow them to relax and take a break from the everyday stresses of the world.
    When talking about numismatics in particular, more and more collectors are entering the hobby, granted; only a small percentage become serious collectors, but a small percentage of a large number, is still a large number!. and I don't see demand for the flowing hair material that you posted the other day evaporating, considering demand far outpaces supply for choice problem free coinage. Whether its an early flowing hair dollar or a modern commem, this market is nuclear.
  • Options
    When the true collectors stop buying. When it's all dealer to dealer, the handwriting is on the wall

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Supply and demand will. As prices continue to rise, buyers WILL slow down. It works just like the stock market. Personally, I've only purchased one "big" coin since the summer. In the auction, I put my bids in and get outbid. I'm not willing to pay what the market is demanding now. I'm sure I'm not alone. As Coinguy1 said yesterday, there's no such thing as a must have coin. I'm willing to wait for the right coin at the right price. I'm in no rush.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The perception prices are falling. No one wants to catch a falling dagger.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>When the true collectors stop buying. When it's all dealer to dealer, the handwriting is on the wall >>

Then the handwriting IS on the wall!
    Hot Springs, AR. coin show!
    Glenn
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The perception prices are falling. No one wants to catch a falling dagger. >>

That's my feeling also. It's all about the perception.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to define the part of the coin market you are talking about. The high end operates largely independently from the collector coin market. It's the high end that is subject to the violent market moves.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

Both PCGS and NGC decide to abandon their registries.

David
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    One thing I think could temper peoples enthusiasm somewhat could be falling precious metals prices which have basically fueled the runup in generic gold prices IMO.

Generic MS64 $20.00 Libs are priced way too high right now regardless of bullion prices, so are generic MS65 Saints IMO. They have both more than doubled in price in the past 18 months or so and they exist in the 10's of thousands.

The coin market can turn fast both up and down......sometimes there are no clearly defined reasons or growing perceptions........it just seems to turnaround overnight and free falls or shoots up.

dragon

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon, while tens of thousands may seem like a lot to you and I, its nothing compared to the potential demand if Joe Average becomes interested or some investor/dealer wants to take a huge position and promote them.

Morgan dollars are going to get promoted to $125 each and probably to $175/225 because they can be promoted. Someone is going to make a lot of money on these.

The market can be turned down by:

complete failing of gold back to under $325 for good
    resurgence of stocks big time - bull market back on track
    failing of a PCGS or NGC in any way
    people realizing all at once that certified grades are just an estimate
    confiscation of your coins by the govt because you are making more
    than 15% on your investment

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a grinding halt. I see the market taking a breather in some issues that have been hot, and things picking up in lesser-noticed series. If investors with no essential interest in coins enter the market again in force, then a dip in prices (for whatever reason) could force the panic sell-off and the sharp drops we've seen in the past.
  • Options
    If the pyramid can not continue its reach for the sky.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can't happen until there are more sellers than buyers and short of an ecomnomic
    calamity that is very unlikely to happen soon. There is no obvious speculation going
    on in the hobby so a selling panic is improbable. This market wasn't built on precious
    metals prices so in the unlikely event that they fall it should have little effect on the
    market.

Even an economic calamity might not destroy the entire market. Remember that coin
    collecting grew briskly during the '30's as many people had a lot of time on their hands
    and the hobby was an inexpensive diversion.

Obviously the market will eventually peak and fall and then it will begin acting like it
    did in the '65 to '95 era with rotating sectors getting hot and then cold again. The ma-
    jor demographic shift underway will cause another decade of a market in flux. In the
    mean time there will be a peak in the market. The fall after the peak will be almost sole-
    ly dependent on the degree to which speculation was occuring.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I am in almost complete agreement with Barry. I can wait for the big coins I want to come down.

As for other factors that could make things come to an immediate halt, I think these are the same things that would do the same, right away, to the American economy. If Japan or China decided to stop buying American goods, services and bonds right now then you would see the coin market (and the stock market and the bond market and the......) all hit the breaks. The dollar itself is being called on the carpet daily in the financial markets. These are the kinds of things that could end the hot coin market in addition to what Barry mentioned.

I doubt we will see anything like that from Japan or China in the foreseeable future. OTOH, this is a Presidential election year and the economy should continue to run strong until November. 2005 may be a time of finanicial reckoning which will also impact the coin market.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    If all the third party graders were together at a convention and someone dropped a bomb on the building, about half of the "collectors" would jump out of the game.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When the true collectors stop buying. When it's all dealer to dealer, the handwriting is on the wall >>

Then the handwriting IS on the wall!
    Hot Springs, AR. coin show!
    Glenn >>

I read your write-up regarding that show and conclude this: Any show that has "only a handful of NGC/PCGS slabs yet there were NTC by the thousands" is probably a show that is doomed to failure regardless of other factors and is NOT a barometer of the overall Market.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Here's a repeat of what I wrote a few days ago on another thread - I think SportsModerator1 said the same thing in less words.

<< <i>A solid coin market is when collectors are actively seeking coins for their collections.

An over-heated market is when dealers ignore collectors and sell only to other dealers at ever higher prices predicated on the "greater fool theory", and collectors, seeing the "tremendous" appearance (ie illusion) of higher prices, buy coins not for their collections, but to re-sell so they too can participate in the "profit-taking" (ie feeding frenzy). When that happens, (coins being bought by collectors to re-sell for a SHORT term profit), the coin market will collapse, because everyone is trying to sell with no "end" users taking the product off the market. When the collector base is converted to an "investor base", the crash is not far behind.

I don't think we've reached that point yet, but we certainly may be headed in that direction. >>

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overgrading.
  • Options
    I just want to reply to something that Roadrunner said; namely that one factor to slow down the market would be:

failing of a PCGS or NGC in any way

Makes we wonder: we've had a lot of discussion about the increasing delays in turnaround time at PCGS (and perhaps the other grading services are going to succumb to the same problem). Is that the beginning of the 'failing'?
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember reading something about the last big bull market ending suddenly in 1989 at a coin show in the midwest (central states?) Anyway, for some reason, the music stopped, the market topped, and it was all downhill from there. Wall street had something to do with it, and dealer to dealer, and the grading revolution, maybe someone has more info about that peak/crash and we can learn from history instead of being doomed to repeat it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe someone has more info about that peak/crash and we can learn from history instead of being doomed to repeat it? >>

Baley,

If I recall the end came when I finally stretched to make that mega-buy! image
    Wondo

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oof! sounds like there's a story in there somewhere!

I completely missed the 1989 debacle, I was a senior at UCLA and coins were the farthest thing from my mind. In fact, I didn't buy a single coin from 1983 until 1997, when I returned to the hobby.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file