Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Trimmed: Does it really matter??

OK...

Ive hear that the biggest thing that PSA is good for is to spot trimmed cards...ok

There are cards that are trimmed that are caught by PSA
There are cards that people said they pulled from packs that PSA said were trimmed
There are cards in PSA holder that are trimmed

If topps and other companies sometimes mess up and put short cards in pack why is that called
trimmed? Is it an exact science? Im sure there are cards out there that are a bit bigger and those
could set up to be trimmed...then what?

I have to laugh at all these posts talking about trimmed cards..its obvious that there isn't any real
formula...cards in holder, cards not in holders.....blah blah blah.....if you can crack open a PSA
holder and insert another card and close it all up then what guarentee do we have once we
drop money on grading?

There are millions of dollars in PSA graded cards out there but a few less-than-honest people are about to make
it all worth nothing....anyone worried? anyone doing anything?

LMK
JS

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe - I don't know whether your questions were rhetorical - but it's real hard to come up with an answer - I think a lot of what we do in this hobby is based on faith - I know that may seem trite - over the years I've been stung (one of the worst was back in '92 - bought a "touched up" Carlton RC that blew by me) but I'm still here - on balance, I think PSA grading has made the purchase a bit more comfortable - as we know everyone grades a little different - every week in SCD, Polo Grounds has a ton of cards "so clean you can eat off them" - but he'll list a PSA 8 57T Kluszewski for $500 and a NM-Mt one for only $145 - doesn't he trust his own grading? Why not sendt his in and get it graded to derive a bigger payday? I don't know - I have never called up and asked - maybe I should. At times, this can be a tough way to derive pleasure.
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Joe...where are my 2003 heritage card you promised me??? ya broke my heart man!!!!!!Didnt ya get my instant message???

oh well

loth
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Polo Grounds has a ton of cards "so clean you can eat off them" - but he'll list a PSA 8 57T Kluszewski for $500 and a NM-Mt one for only $145 - doesn't he trust his own grading? Why not sendt his in and get it graded to derive a bigger payday? I don't know - I have never called up and asked - maybe I should. >>

I always wonder this, and it is the main reason why I won't buy raw cards from a dealer who also sells a lot of graded cards. I always wonder why they aren't submitting everything they grade as NM-MT.

And, I personally have pulled cards from packs, and sent them in only to get back the famous "EVID OF TRIM". Who trimmed it? Not me, certainly. If I had a lot of disposable cash, I would resubmit those, perhaps getting them by the graders...but once per card is enough.
  • Options
    ctsoxfan

You know maybe if I have some time later, I'll email Polo and ask him about his pricing practice and explain the big difference - also, I took those Kluszewski items right out of his Jan 30 SCD ad.
    Mike
  • Options
    PSA classifies all undersized cards as trimmed. I don't really think that in most cases they are saying the card is trimmed as much as they are saying the card doesn't meet the size requirement for that issue.

All things being equal....regardless of why a card may fall short of the size requirement it is PSA's job to classify the card as they do. Think about it. A PSA 10 isn't really a PSA 10 if it's short. Weather it was the fault of Topps or some moron.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Polo grounds pricing is a bit odd. But, EVERY card that I have purchased from them that they have graded as NM/MT has gotten me a PSA 8 or 9. I would buy from them any day.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA classifies all undersized cards as trimmed. I don't really think that in most cases they are saying the card is trimmed as much as they are saying the card doesn't meet the size requirement for that issue.

All things being equal....regardless of why a card may fall short of the size requirement it is PSA's job to classify the card as they do. Think about it. A PSA 10 isn't really a PSA 10 if it's short. Weather it was the fault of Topps or some moron. >>

actually, PSA has a separate classification for minimum size requirement.. (N-6 Minimum Size requirement).. i've had cards come back Evidence of trimming, and Ive had cards come back N-6.. returned in the card saver with a sticker on it..

here's a ethics question.. I've pulled cards from packs and had them come back as "trimmed".. what is the right way to sell that card after PSA has told you its trimmed? Would you advertise the card as being "trimmed"? or is the card just garbage after PSA calls it trimmed? is it misleading to let somebody buy the card from you without telling them it came back trimmed?

also, what if you spent a couple hundred on 2 or 3 nice vintage cards, sent them in and got them returned as "trimmed".. do you re-submit again, and maybe resubmit to 2 or 3 different grading companies and risk wasting more money on potentially trimmed cards? do you sell them and try to recoup some of your money? if you do decide to sell them, do you advertise them as "trimmed" or let somebody find out for themselves?

just curious to hear opinions..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Loth

I haven't forgot about you man...you needed the two inserts right? I won't leave ya hanging...can't
    wait for 04!!

Kevin
  • Options
    "PSA classifies all undersized cards as trimmed. I don't really think that in most cases they are saying the card is trimmed as much as they are saying the card doesn't meet the size requirement for that issue."

There is a separate classification for trimmed cards and cards that do not meet the minimum size requirement (as you can see below). I pulled this card myself out of a GAI 8 1975 Basketball wax pack, That same pack also had four cards come back as PSA 9's so i know there was nothing wrong with the pack.

Paul.

Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    I've never gotten the min size requirement. But I've gotten a few trimme for cards I pulled out of 1979 and 1980 wax packs recently. That's a pisser.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Here is the little experience I have to offer....

A couple years ago, I submitted 4 T206 cards to PSA on-site at a Ft. Washington show (4 freebies for renewal). Three of those cards came back trimmed, and one graded a PSA 5. Danny Fisher handed me the box, and must have thought I looked like a deer in headlights, so he asked if I had any questions. I asked him how they were trimmed, and he pulled out a lighted magnifier and explained and showed me how to check the "grain" of the edges. If the grain ran in the wrong direction or had a slight color difference to the other edges, the card was most likely trimmed.

I don't know if this is how all PSA graders used to or still do check, but that was what he told me at the show.

As far as under/oversized cards, my 1940 Play Ball set has several that are shorter or larger than the majority. The most extreme ones I take to an on-site show for review, and if I get the green light, I put them on a submission and send to CA. They have all come back graded, so I figure that in at least two graders opinions these are legit.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    kimo75

Thanx for the info on Polo grounds - they always have great inventory - at fair prices.

Also, on a standard card, what is the minimum size that PSA allows where they have deemed that a card has NOT been trimmed?
    Mike
  • Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    One more thing in defense of Polo Grounds. If you look closely at his ad weekly as
    I do you will see the following: he had a 1965 baseball set that has approx 600 cards.
    maybe only 2 or 3 were graded. I'd bet that they were graded when he bought the
    collections. It is not like he has tons of graded. I just wanted to defend them because
    this board seems to look at anyone selling NM/MT cards ungraded with some questions.
    3 years ago I sold my partial 1959 Baseball set on ebay ungraded. They were all 8s or 9s
    and none were trimmed. At the time I didn't want to put forth the effort to send them to PSA. I'm
    sure if it happened now, there would be threads on me with links and side by side measurements
    and emails from concerned people that something must surely be wrong with these cards.
    Believe me, there is still tons of ungraded mint cards out there. I only recently began to get my collection
    graded, basically for lack of a better thing to do. There are still raw collectors out there.
  • Options
    My experience from dealing with Bill @ The Polo Grounds is that most of his cards are very nice, but if sent to PSA, GAI or SGC, the cards would come back a grade lower than what Bill states. I scower over Bill's items at every show he attends and talk to him quite frequently on the phone when he gets some choice cards in. If he grades a card MINT, I figure the card would more than likely grade NM/MT and so one. If you look at his prices for MINT cards, most of them are close to PSA 8 prices. Bill is old school and grades his cards with his eyes and not a 10 X loop, so it could be said that his cards that he states that are MINT still would be if this was still the period before grading came into play. I will say this for Bill, he is one of the nicest in the hobby and if you purcahse a raw card from him and you are not happy with it, he will refund no questions asked.

Todd
  • Options

<< <i>PSA classifies all undersized cards as trimmed. I don't really think that in most cases they are saying the card is trimmed as much as they are saying the card doesn't meet the size requirement for that issue.

All things being equal....regardless of why a card may fall short of the size requirement it is PSA's job to classify the card as they do. Think about it. A PSA 10 isn't really a PSA 10 if it's short. Weather it was the fault of Topps or some moron. >>

Then the same argument can be made from centering and the ridiculous use of qualifers. If a card from the factory is in otherwise MINT condition but was miscentered, then a PSA 9-10 isn't really a PSA 9-10 if it is not centered correctly by the factory. There is no such thing as a 9 OC-MC-PD, etc IMO. A mint card should have the element of extreme proper care by the owner and luck by the manner in which it was produced by the factory.

While I hate the concept of qualifiers, if PSA is going to allow qualifiers for several categories of defects at the factory, then an undersized card should be considered as well.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    personnally I think they call them trimmed instead of minimum size is that they keep the grading fees and don't have to issue vouchers. who in there right mind is trimming 1 out of 100 70's commons. it's all about the bottom line